American Horror Story

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I don't love the show (yet), but these characters keep pulling me back for more. I was all for the wife, Viv, from the beginning. That kid, Tate, is alright with me. The ghosts are intriguing and it is scary how the family sees them and then doesn't see them? Can they turn that on? It's definitely psychological.

I knew that baby would cause problems. Then I started laughing when that burned guy knocked out Ben's mistress. That was hilarious, like "Don't worry, I got rid of the tramp for you. You're still innocent. You haven't killed anyone in that house!"

Ben needs to see a shrink, himself. But that probably ain't happening anytime soon.

The maid is still tripping me out. I'd much rather see the young redhead being all coy over the old woman that contradicts herself. Ick. Either way.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I just started watching this - starting at episode 3 might not be the best way to go for it, but what's a guy to do? It was pretty easy to pick up on the plot points right off the bat.
I've heard the comparisons to Twin Peaks (not favorable) and it also reminded me of Dead Like Me (but a serious twist).
The tension between the ghosts of the wife and the maid was powerful. The mad scientist in the basement trying to sew wings onto a pig made me laugh, I admit. I'm sure they intended that to some extent...I hope. The dramatic tension between the psychiatrist and all the women in the house :rolleyes: felt a little corny but they played it well.
So they bought the house and just found out after the fact that horror fan tours go past it and gawk every day? Really?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Zachary Quinto!!!!

So the rumor is that not only will my fav openly gay actor be on this show...but he'll be playing gay!

(Jon does happy dance):snoopy:
gayiranianmuslim.gif

Gay-kiss2.gif

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
You know, for some reason, in this series, I could watch Frances Conroy eat carrots and say "the" for fifty minutes and be okay. She is really working every ounce of her screen time as this character. Everybody else is okay, but my eye is always drawn to her when she's on.

And though I've seen Twin Peaks and Dead Like Me, my first comparison when describing this show is Kingdom Hospital. This has KH written all over it.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
"It will redefine the genre horror" Uh yeah sure.

They did not say that. Are you serious? So far I have seen absolutely nothing in this show that I haven't seen a million times in a million horror movies.

This is just a case of someone who knows nothing about horror pretending he invented it.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
And were the three home invaders supposed to be an homage to the "The Strangers"?

I think so. Although, I was also wondering if it was supposed to be a surprise that the husband's patient, who kept asking about the "murder house" turned out to be one of them. Because I was not surprised at all. And wondering, exactly how stupid IS the husband to think nothing of her behavior and carry on as if she were an ordinary patient.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Personally, I thought last night was the best episode so far. I liked the additional backstory of the house. The scenes with Chad and Blondie (can't recall his name) were great.

Poor Addy. I wonder if, since she died in the street, she's DEAD dead now. That's how her mama played it. No ghost Addy?

My only real complaint is that Hayden's appearance at the end wasn't the big surprise it could have been, because they put the actress's name right in the guest star credits, so I spent the whole episode waiting for her to show up.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to think Tate could be a ghost of the house. There are just some hints? or occurrences that stick out to me. Of course the inhabitants of the house will be able to see him at times. But that kids disappears whenever and pops up to save to the day (read: Violet) like something otherworldly.

Does he exist to bring out something in Ben, Violet?

Someone else mentioned on here that Tate might possibly be Jessica Lange character's other kid. I wouldn't doubt it right now. She and the maid can see him. The episode that set this off for me was the second one when those crazy people came to reenact the murder of the school girl and that nurse in the bathtub.

That shot of Tate, the maid, and Jessica Lange's character stood out to me. Like it was suggesating something.

That house has history like no other I've heard of as of late.

I'm also wondering about the format of the show. Is it linear or non-linear? Ben knocking up his wife? and his college student. The gay couple coming to check out the Harmones' house when they died? Are frikin' ghosts every-frikin'-where?

Are Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk trying to eff up my mind?

disclaimer: I did not see the ending of last night's episode, but that will be changed shortly.

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Last night's ep was my favorite so far. But I am getting tired of each week's show opening with a murder from the past. All right, got it, lots of people died in the house. Move along.

In an EW article I read recently, it suggested that originally, every season was going to have a different family living in the house. I don't know if they're going to stick with that -- but if so, it sure doesn't bode well for the Harmons. (Not that that's a bad thing; I have zero sympathy for any of the characters, with the possible exception of the daughter, Violet.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
...I have zero sympathy for any of the characters, with the possible exception of the daughter, Violet.)
Oh, good, I was beginning to suspect I was missing something in that all my sympathies were for the ghosts and not the human family (especially the maid). And, yes, I definitely think Tate is a ghost...The scene in last week's ep where the realtor was putting up the "For Sale" sign and JL's character saw him in an upstairs window cinched it, IMO.

The progression definitely seems to be building up along the lines of a one season arc for this story. I mean, how do you stay in a house like that AFTER all its secrets are revealed to you? Unless you die there, in which case apparently you CAN't leave. I would be surprised if McDermott and Britton will sign on to be ghosts next season, so that should be interesting (and Zachary Q's line about Ben and Connie* not deserving the house...). Oh, also we should be seeing Eric Close again then, right?

Did they seem to be stating that the particular laws of this mythos were that only on Halloween the spirits could leave the house? That would explain Tate meeting Ben at the park and Moira visiting her mom.

*ETA: Is Connie short for Constance?

Last edited:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I would be surprised if McDermott and Britton will sign on to be ghosts next season...
Ditto. I think the EW article said their contracts were for one season only, but I could be mistaken.

Did they seem to be stating that the particular laws of this mythos were that only on Halloween the spirits could leave the house? That would explain Tate meeting Ben at the park and Moira visiting her mom.
Seems that way.

*ETA: Is Connie short for Constance?
Yep. :)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
There is nothing that hasn't been "done" already (in any genre/medium, etc), so trying to argue how original (or unoriginal) it is, is pretty dang pointless.

But, it is "unique" in other ways.

I can't tell you how utterly bored I get with most horror today. There are very few exceptions. So much of it is formula. I see no formula in AHS. Sure there are conventions, but they're so disjointed and erratic that I'm continuously surprised.

Combine that in with the deliciously creepy factor and Jessica Lange and I'm sold.

I feel like most horror stories flirt and dance around something whereas this show gets into a giant semi and plows right over it.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Last night's ep was my favorite so far. But I am getting tired of each week's show opening with a murder from the past. All right, got it, lots of people died in the house. Move along.

In an EW article I read recently, it suggested that originally, every season was going to have a different family living in the house. I don't know if they're going to stick with that -- but if so, it sure doesn't bode well for the Harmons. (Not that that's a bad thing; I have zero sympathy for any of the characters, with the possible exception of the daughter, Violet.)

Interesting on changing the family. It could mean that the original family turns into ghosts and they'll still be around for season 2. But, it also means an ever-growing cast which might really get hairy.

And the daughter, Violet, is too "omg, teen angst, I HATE YOUR GUTS DAD" for me to really sink my teeth into.

I'm not sure I empathize with anyone, truth be told. Hmm....
Maybe the maid.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
A different family per season makes a lot of sense. I couldn't figure how they'd keep the momentum going with this trio, considering everything that's happening. Is it wrong that I really, really hope Ben dies a horrible death?

Does anyone know how many episodes are in the season? Because we've only had four (I think), and it already feels like things are starting to wind toward a conclusion of some sort.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Does anyone know how many episodes are in the season? Because we've only had four (I think), and it already feels like things are starting to wind toward a conclusion of some sort.

13 episodes, as per a July press release:

FX TO TELL AMERICAN HORROR STORY
FX Orders 13-Episode Drama Series from Emmy(R) and Golden Globe(R) Award Winning Producers Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk

LOS ANGELES, July 18, 2011 - FX has placed a 13-episode order for its next original drama series, American Horror Story, co-created by former Nip/Tuck executive producers and current Glee co-creators/executive producers Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, announced John Landgraf, President and General Manager, FX Networks. American Horror Story begins production in Los Angeles on July 27 and will premiere on FX in October.

[SNIP]

American Horror Story is FX's 12th drama to receive a full 13-episode series order, and ninth out of the last ten drama pilots produced by the network to receive a series order.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I like it when the flashback in the beginning fills in a little more of what is going on in the present, such as the flashback with the maid. It helped me to understand a bit more about both the maid and the Jessica Lange character. But other than that, I agree with you. The flashback in the first episode was very cool, but I thought it would have a lot more to do with the current story than it did.

Speaking of the maid, I am not really understanding her at all. At first, I thought she appeared differently to the husband and wife because she was supposed to be what both of them would like. She is kind and wise to the wife, and young and sexy to the husband, and then they both want her to stay. But why is she behaving so antagonistically to the husband? Is he imagining all of it?

And, I know she's dead, but that totally freaked me out when she was cleaning blood up without wearing latex gloves. EW!

(Not that that's a bad thing; I have zero sympathy for any of the characters, with the possible exception of the daughter, Violet.)

Agreed. I do not really care for either of the parents. I like the daughter, but so much of her story is very over the top, such as the bullying. And I guess she and that girl are friends now? WHAT? And her tantrum about running away from home seemed like a plot device to keep them in the house. I have seen far too many of those in haunted house movies.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
The flashback in the first episode was very cool, but I thought it would have a lot more to do with the current story than it did.

Did you catch that it was the twins from 1978 who egged the house?

Speaking of the maid, I am not really understanding her at all. At first, I thought she appeared differently to the husband and wife because she was supposed to be what both of them would like. She is kind and wise to the wife, and young and sexy to the husband, and then they both want her to stay. But why is she behaving so antagonistically to the husband? Is he imagining all of it?

She said to Vivian that men see what they want/expect (or something like that), but women see the soul. So Ben and the police detective saw Hot Maid, and Vivian sees Matronly Maid.

And I guess she and that girl are friends now? WHAT? And her tantrum about running away from home seemed like a plot device to keep them in the house. I have seen far too many of those in haunted house movies.

Yeah, I don't buy the whole Scare-The-Bully-And-Bond-With-Her thing, either. The tantrum, to me, was in line with a sullen teenage girl, so that didn't bother me -- the plot device that will keep them in the house is Vivian's OB/Gyn telling her flat out that if they move, that puts the baby at risk. So they'll stay in the Murder House.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't buy the whole Scare-The-Bully-And-Bond-With-Her thing, either. The tantrum, to me, was in line with a sullen teenage girl, so that didn't bother me -- the plot device that will keep them in the house is Vivian's OB/Gyn telling her flat out that if they move, that puts the baby at risk. So they'll stay in the Murder House.
Having lived with a teen, I can state that "I'm running away!" is low on the list of outlandish threats one is apt to receive on a fairly regular basis.

Did everyone (on the show, I mean) forget that the ER doc fainted? My theory? Baby had horns.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
She said to Vivian that men see what they want/expect (or something like that), but women see the soul. So Ben and the police detective saw Hot Maid, and Vivian sees Matronly Maid.

I got that. But why was she approaching him so aggressively? Or was that not actually happening, and he was just "seeing" what he wanted/expected?

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Having lived with a teen, I can state that "I'm running away!" is low on the list of outlandish threats one is apt to receive on a fairly regular basis.

Well, yeah, but to actually believe that she would be able to run away so that no one would ever find her?

I like her relationship with Tate, whatever he is. But the subplot with the crazy cokehead bully was just not believable to me.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah, but to actually believe that she would be able to run away so that no one would ever find her?

I like her relationship with Tate, whatever he is. But the subplot with the crazy cokehead bully was just not believable to me.
Agreed. I was skeptical of Tate at first--ok, I didn't like him at all--but now all my sympathies are with the ghosts.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
But why was she approaching him so aggressively? Or was that not actually happening, and he was just "seeing" what he wanted/expected?

I'm going with this. Because frankly, Ben is an asshole. (And Vivien is insanely self-centered.) ((And both parents suck, because who uproots their high-school-aged daughter to move across country to save a troubled marriage? If I were Violet, I'd have run away a long time ago. And the parents probably wouldn't have even noticed.))