Story Mirroring Life Too Closely

Status
Not open for further replies.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
Have you ever stopped reading a book because it just mirrored experiences in your life (unpleasant ones) too closely that it was nearly traumatizing to continue reading?

I just had that experience. I bought Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier a few days ago at a good price for Kindle so I started reading it. But I only got through the first few chapters before the relationship between Aunt Patience and Joss got to me. Joss is incredibly abusive, not just physically, but emotionally, and Aunt Patience is reduced to a total nervous wreck. What's worse, she constantly defends him and has the illusion that he's a great man.

I suppose it got to me because I grew up in a family where my father was severely emotionally and financially abusive towards my mother and my mother continues to this day to defend him and make of him a great person, refusing to see she's been living with an abuser all her married life. The relationship between the characters in the novel mirrored so much what I experienced as a child that it just made me more and more ill to read the novel. So I finally had to put it down and walk away from it.

Djuna

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer stories that are like that, and whenever possible, I write stories that mirror my own life as closely as possible.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I started reading The Fault in Our Stars a few months after a close family member passed away from cancer. I was with him a lot toward the end. I couldn't even get past the first chapter in that book. Maybe it was too soon to try, but I'm not going back.

Jane Berry

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it got to me because I grew up in a family where my father was severely emotionally and financially abusive towards my mother and my mother continues to this day to defend him and make of him a great person, refusing to see she's been living with an abuser all her married life. The relationship between the characters in the novel mirrored so much what I experienced as a child that it just made me more and more ill to read the novel. So I finally had to put it down and walk away from it.

Djuna

I'm sorry that happened to you.

I've not yet dropped a book because the story hit close to home. I enjoy those stories because they validate my experience. Mostly, I stop reading a book because the prose is terrible.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had to stop reading an annoying number of contemporary stories lately because they went into something too triggering. There's really only one thing I can't deal with reading, but that thing suddenly seems to crop up all over the place (no doubt this is just perception and it was always there and I just didn't notice so much before). I don't have the luxury of choosing to read about that particular subject because I start having flashbacks and can no longer see what's written on the page, only what I saw in real life. This obviously makes continuing to read physically and mentally impossible.

Kristenlee83

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I do stop reading when it gets too close to home. Most of the time though, I trod through and see how closely the experience in the book reflects mine. I think it depends where you're head's at. So sorry to hear some of you having such traumatic experiences while reading books.

I have a rapist and a rape victim in my current novel...luckily no rape, just the aftermath, but I can imagine that might be hard for a rape victim to read. Thanks OP for giving me a different perspective I hadn't considered before.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been able to read anything to do with Alzheimer's for years.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never put a book down because of something triggering, but that doesn't mean it won't happen someday. Sorry this was hard for you. (hug)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I always thought mirroring life was the whole point of fiction.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I too tend to seek out books that mirror challenging situations I've faced in real life. Other times, I read books to escape to a new world (where my love of sci-fi comes in).

That doesn't make reading difficult books any easier. I read A Stolen Life and just spent the next few days quietly by myself. Took me a few starts and stops near the end there too, as she looks back. Room was a little easier, and it was fiction, not a memoir. Stolen was just unsatisfying all around, but perhaps I'm not into the young adult romantic angle on captivity.

It happens. And it happens all the time to people I know. They need to put the book down, and that's okay. You have a choice, and if it hits too close to home, you can stop reading.

I hope you feel better today. *hugs*

~ Anna

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I too tend to seek out books that mirror challenging situations I've faced in real life. Other times, I read books to escape to a new world (where my love of sci-fi comes in).

That doesn't make reading difficult books any easier. I read A Stolen Life and just spent the next few days quietly by myself. Took me a few starts and stops near the end there too, as she looks back. Room was a little easier, and it was fiction, not a memoir. Stolen was just unsatisfying all around, but perhaps I'm not into the young adult romantic angle on captivity.

It happens. And it happens all the time to people I know. They need to put the book down, and that's okay. You have a choice, and if it hits too close to home, you can stop reading.

I hope you feel better today. *hugs*

~ Anna

Reading such a book is supposed to be difficult. If it's easy, it probably isn't mirroring your life very well.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Several times. I try to avoid books that deal with losing a loved one to suicide because I read to enjoy and not to be utterly miserable.

:Hug2:

LadyDae

New AW user. Veteran Writer 8+
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hollydae.com
My life's so boring, so I've never read a book that mirrored my life experience so well that it served as a trigger and I had to put the book down. Maybe that of a friend, but never mine. If I come across a book that mirrors my life, I put it down because it's boring and doesn't have many hard pressing issues to keep me interested...

Reading back through that, I don't mean that last sentence the way it sounded. But you all get what I mean.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
There's definitely some hard issues lately, especially with YA. Sometimes just reading to escape is best. Sometimes facing those issues by learning about other experiences, whether reading fiction or memoirs and whatnot, that have issues that you've dealt with is a healthy thing. But if it's going to upset you, and it's not required of you to read it, there's no reason you should. Maybe a lighthearted romance for the next one?

I'm thinking of going paranormal next. I've been reading too many contemporaries too lately. That's the wave right now.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Once that I recall. I read a novel. Then several years later I was going to read it again. But in view of its subject I decided to give it a pass. Sort of a shame as it was a really cool read.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Reading such a book is supposed to be difficult. If it's easy, it probably isn't mirroring your life very well.

Things is James, there's difficult to read and then there are things that induce flashbacks in readers who've been through the trauma being described. If something makes you uncomfortable that's all well and good, even if it makes you way too uncomfortable to continue reading. But if something is literally causing flashbacks, there's no reason on earth someone should have to feel obligated to continue a book because it "mirrors life and that's the point of fiction."

Me? I certainly have had to put books down due to flashbacks, or in the case of when I'm reading fanfiction close a browser window after a flashback was over. Sure for me I'm now able to read about the triggering topic with minimal flashbacks, but that's only if it is dealt with in a certain way. Any thing that deveates from what I think of as acceptable handling does still cause book ruining flashbacks, that can sometimes lead to a 75% increase for damn near a week. And I had to work hard to get to where I am in regards to reading material I find potentially triggering. Had to deliberately go back and read the same story by an author who handled the topic well for months before I was able to endure other stories that handled it with the same level of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.