Voice and Category Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should post this in MG or YA, but because the nature of the question is about the hazy section in between, I thought I would stick it here.

I wrote my novel without thinking about where it fits. I picked my characters ages and situations based on what I thought fit my story.

Now that it's written and I've done some revisions, I am wondering if I picked the wrong category for my voice.

Right now I have it pegged as YA. My main character is 15 and on the early side of high school.

What I would really like to know, is if you all think that it sounds more like Upper MG?

Is there such a thing as young YA? It doesn't fit in with most of the YA I've read, but it's also a fairly lighthearted book with a good bit of humor thrown in.

My first chapter is here. I would be forever grateful for some insight.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I was starting my junior year in high school, Grade 11, at age 15, so I do not think this book would be MG by any means. (In general, kids are 15 in Grades 9 or 10; again this is not MG.)

At 16 many kids are getting their drivers' licenses; again not MG. And many of them have jobs, part-time, so...

YA for sure, imo.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
It does seem to edge closer to middle-grade. Is there any content later on that precludes it from being middle-grade?
A fair amount of violence. Also a some, I believe the Brits say, snogging. I'm not sure if this makes it YA. There isn't any death or sex, but there is some serious wounding and a scene where the main character is held down and shaved with a sword (losing skin and hair in the process).

RedAntisocial

Registered
Reaction score
The "fair amount of violence" and "snogging" would definitely push it towards YA. How much would it bend the story to push the MC's age up by even a single year?

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure to what extent "snogging" covers? Kisses in general? Or more intense makeout kinds of kissing?

If there are make-out sessions, then it's most likely in the YA range.

There's a spectrum of YA and MG. There's Lower MG, and Upper MG, as well as Lower YA (which seems to cross with Upper MG) and Upper YA.

I think, with MG, that hand-holding and puppy crushes are fine. Maybe a little peck or quick kisses. I mean, I read a MG princess series that had very brief kisses with a prince, but they were not steamy or dragged out. Just cute, little sweet kisses. They're quick, too. Almost pecks, actually. No makeout sessions that I remember.

Beyond that, if there are physical reactions towards the love interest, then it tends to be YA, for the most part. Like, if she had a feeling in her lower stomach area/privates, or if he was hardening, and so on...

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say you're probably in YA, but there will likely be some crossover into upper MG audiences if the subject matter is acceptable for those age ranges. A lot of it depends on the tone and subject matter of the story.

There's a thread about categorization in the YA sub-forum. You might take a look at it and see where your story would fit. After all, I've read stories with MG-age main characters (The Knife of Never Letting Go) that are much more YA than MG. I've also read stories with YA-age characters (The Ranger's Apprentice series) that are more MG in the way they feel.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say you're probably in YA, but there will likely be some crossover into upper MG audiences if the subject matter is acceptable for those age ranges. A lot of it depends on the tone and subject matter of the story.

There's a thread about categorization in the YA sub-forum. You might take a look at it and see where your story would fit. After all, I've read stories with MG-age main characters (The Knife of Never Letting Go) that are much more YA than MG. I've also read stories with YA-age characters (The Ranger's Apprentice series) that are more MG in the way they feel.

Exactly! Tone, voice, and subject matter (or the extent of some types of subject matter) are what make the categories.

Like rwm, I have seen young teens in MG books, and preteens/young children in adult books. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Snogging is MORE than just a light peck on the cheek or a swift brushing of the lips.

Yep. There was that scene in one of the Harry Potter books where Ron and Violet are snogging, and they break apart with a sound like a plunger being withdrawn from a drain.

Definitely more than a light peck there.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. There was that scene in one of the Harry Potter books where Ron and Violet are snogging, and they break apart with a sound like a plunger being withdrawn from a drain.

Definitely more than a light peck there.

Lol, it's been awhile since I read the Harry Potter books. Which one was that? I thought I heard that Harry Potter transitioned towards YA at the end of the series?

Edit: Looked them up on AR Book finder. The later ones became "MG Plus". Upper MG?

Edit2: If I understood correctly, it seems to be Grades 6 and up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.