The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Any advice for markets that take "conceptual pieces" like McSweeney's, where the format and humor take precedent over story arc? I just got a very nice rejection from them and am not sure where else to look.

Nothing off the top of my head, but on Duotrope they list other markets that people who have submitted to McSweeney's also sub to to. You could look through that list, see if there are any that strike your fancy.

http://www.duotrope.com/market_5857.aspx

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I just finished my first ever piece of flash. Every other short story I've written has been between 2.5k and 4k. No idea if it's any good. Going to polish it up and get it out there though.
:hooray: Yay for trying something outside your comfort zone!

I've completed 4 short stories (1 flash, the other 3 between 1400 and 2200 words) in the last 5 days, with a start on a fifth in there too. I wonder how they'll read when i look at them again in a couple weeks?

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
:I've completed 4 short stories (1 flash, the other 3 between 1400 and 2200 words) in the last 5 days, with a start on a fifth in there too. I wonder how they'll read when i look at them again in a couple weeks?

I just can't imagine. I thought of trying the flash fiction challenge, and I have 300 words done for the first prompt. :cry: I'm so impressed that you can get so much done. And envious. Congrats!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks, Pemako :) but i'm not sure any of the stories are actually any good. They might just be words on a page.

I've got one prompt that i got 300 words down for, but got a little stuck, so put it aside so i could have a go at the next prompt. For me, i think the challenge isn't so much finishing 14 stories, but writing something each day on the topic of that day's prompt, if that makes any sense :)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Wow, you're on a roll, Izz!

I've been jotting notes down for my next one. I've got an idea for the latest Dagan anthology, plus I want to get something ready for when A&A opens to subs in February. So, looks like I might get two written and subbed for January!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've completed 4 short stories (1 flash, the other 3 between 1400 and 2200 words) in the last 5 days, with a start on a fifth in there too. I wonder how they'll read when i look at them again in a couple weeks?

Wow, you gotta love when words and ideas flaw like that! And trust yourself more--you're a good writer. Those words will still look good after a few weeks.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I need to write my short story for the month! I plan to write it this weekend once I get an idea. I'm thinking about attempting at writing SF. We'll see how that goes...

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish my Dark Faith 2 story, but...mah brain! :Headbang:

It's one of those days.

Good luck with writing SF, MysteryRiter. ;)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish my Dark Faith 2 story, but...mah brain! :Headbang:

I'm trying to rewrite my Dark Faith 2 story, so that it's a story rather than a giant turd.

I am failing.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to rewrite my Dark Faith 2 story, so that it's a story rather than a giant turd.

I am failing.

LOL. I'm working on a Dark Faith 2 story too. It's at the stage of finished-but-doesn't-really-work-at-all (maybe also known as giant turd), so I'm mostly staring at it, hoping to scare it into submission. Gah.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I've completed 4 short stories (1 flash, the other 3 between 1400 and 2200 words) in the last 5 days, with a start on a fifth in there too.

Congrats! I'm actually in a bit of a lull. I finished first drafts of a couple of pieces, neither of which I'm really that happy with right now. I've only got one other work in progress that's really in progress. The strange thing is that I haven't been flooded with new story ideas for the last week or so like I frequently have been. Just a short-term thing, no doubt... Still feels a bit weird after starting on SO many stories in the five or six weeks between early December and early January. Maybe it was just post-NaNoWriMo short story fervor? :)

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Put me down as another one trying to rewrite up their Dark Faith 2 story...
Congrats Izz, I wish I could say my past 5 days have had that kind of output. Or even my past 30.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks, Michael and Taylor :)

I hear you about the lulls, Michael. Necessary creative evils, i think, to let us recharge and subconsciously strengthen aspects of our craft. Personally speaking, at least i always have stuff to work on during those lulls thanks to the creative peaks.

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
true true, there's always going to be creative peaks and troughs but you just have to weather through them. There was a period last year where I had a creative lull and was upset with myself but now I'm at a creative high, so swings & roundabouts I suppose...

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I hear you about the lulls, Michael. Necessary creative evils, i think, to let us recharge and subconsciously strengthen aspects of our craft. Personally speaking, at least i always have stuff to work on during those lulls thanks to the creative peaks.
This is definitely me. I usually read a lot when my brain doesn't feel like writing, and it's not like I don't have ideas, but I'm still tossing them around in my head. Or sometimes I'll stop before finishing a story because I'm sure how to execute the ending properly -- creative strike, I guess. :tongue

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Write like the wind, Izz!!

I just finished my first ever piece of flash. Every other short story I've written has been between 2.5k and 4k. No idea if it's any good. Going to polish it up and get it out there though.

Flash fiction (between 100 and 500 words) is my favorite kind of stories to write. I think I edit them longer than I do my novel lol.

So far this year, I've subbed 6-- 2 Rejections. But I'm happy to get stories out there :)

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
Work has absolutely imploded on me. It's messing with my writing big time. I wrote MORE with a broken hand.

:Soapbox:

It's making me angry.

/sigh/

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Thanks for the comments on lulls and such. I'm basically confident it won't be a long-term issue. January's just been a frustrating writing month for me in a lot of levels.

Not as frustrating as kat's month, though! Sorry to hear about how things have been going for you recent, kat!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!!!

Thanks, Izz :D

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Got a note from Goldfish Grimm's this morning. Looks like Vessels for Destruction has made the second round. :)

@Lillie: That story is awesome!