Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
May the 4th, for obviously geeky reasons.

Just imagine the stores going crazy with all sorts of Sci-Fi goodness... (I would insert the drooling smilie here, but I know that a certain sheep doesn't like that particular one, so... :D )

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Which holiday do you think should be given the full-on Christmas-like retail blitz?

May the 4th, for obviously geeky reasons.

Just imagine the stores going crazy with all sorts of Sci-Fi goodness... (I would insert the drooling smilie here, but I know that a certain sheep doesn't like that particular one, so... :D )

I second May the 4th, but also nominate International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Arrrrr! :e2steer:

JRHardesty

Journeyman Harper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lindensaga.blogspot.com
Primo: 4th of JULY, man! Big time! Make fireworks legal in all 50 states, sell like mad and have a major explosive time, while not forgetting the whole PURPOSE of the day.

Segundo: Talk Like a Pirate Day, even if it isn't an official holiday. Hoist the mains'l lads! Shiver me timbers! Arrrrr!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*blows off dust*

Huh, got a little behind here.

Have to fix that....

ETA: Or, I could let the dragon do it.

:D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is the worst Christmas present you've ever received?

Coffee.

Not that I don't like coffee. I consume mass quantities of it. But when it becomes the default "I can't be bothered to think of anything else to get you" present, it wears a little thin.

Especially when you just buy it in the supermarket.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Coffee.

Not that I don't like coffee. I consume mass quantities of it. But when it becomes the default "I can't be bothered to think of anything else to get you" present, it wears a little thin.

Especially when you just buy it in the supermarket.

You've totally ruined the gift I got you now.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, from *you* it means something.

Besides, you're British. I don't expect you to know much about coffee.

mimstrel

Registered
Reaction score
Not something that I got, but my brother did this to my dad once:

We open gifts at Grandma's first, then go home and open the ones to each other. So one year, my uncle got a DVR. My dad was super excited about that. So my brother borrowed the box from my uncle. He took it home, filled it with towels and cans of soup (for weight) and taped it back up with packing tape so it looked unopened. Then wrapped it and put it under the tree.

Dad unwrapped it and was SO HAPPY... but he didn't open the box until the next day. *giggles maniacally*

He's still a little bitter about that.
And we NEVER assume that we're getting what's on the box.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
What is the worst Christmas present you've ever received?
A dime-store solar calculator.

There's this guy at work hands them out every year, every one of them meticulously wrapped in paper that's probably worth more than the calculator. One day, I want to fill a piñata with those little calculators, perhaps with a small explosive charge, and hire Bruce Willis to hit it while saying "Add this, [expletive deleted]."

LearningCurve

Registered
Reaction score
books, a big box of books... with words in them and everything!
just kidding,

my worst Christmas gift ever was a broom and a mop bucket from my grandfather... ha ha grandpa, very funny.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Last QotW of 2014!!! *Kermit flail*

Okay, folks, as we are between - or, for some of you - in the midst of the holidays, a quick holiday-type question:

Nothing to see here. This is not the prompt you're looking for. Move along.

It may be something uniquely personal to your family, or a more wide-spread cultural tradition (like that lye-soaked fish thing in Scandinavia ).

And I realize it may not seem odd to you, so put yourself in the perspective of an outsider looking in. Like that time you brought your hopefully significant other over for a "meet the family" holidays and they freaked out when your dad went into his Charlie Chaplin routine with the raw turkey.

... Which may or may not be something that happened. I can neither confirm nor deny.

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW - Just in Time to be Snowed In

Alright, seeing as that's getting no love.

I can take a hint.

*sobs quietly to self*

*ahem*

Looking out my window inspired this week's question. If someone could please send help, preferably in the form of tickets to someplace tropical, that would be great. In lieu of that, a dog sled so I can get to work.

What do you like to do when you're snowed in during the winter?

Now that's any definition of "snowed in," even for your people in more southern climes where a 1/2" on the ground is cause for mass hysteria.

Me? I like a good book, something warm to drink, and a roaring fire.

'Course the last time I did that the landlord got a little upset with me, seeing as I don't actually have a fireplace.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
*assumes we have not lost power during the event

uhm. . . writer here. . . so yeah. . . write

But also cross-stitch, scrapbooking and reading.

Now if power is lost - huddle under the covers and sleep

Locke

Registered
Reaction score
Every time I've been "snowed in" (SC doesn't get snow so much as ice) I've been working at a job that expected me to come in anyways. So, I always have. My car still has damage from last year where I locked it up and slid into a curb.

But if I do get that extra day off, I'll probably wind up playing video games.

Locke

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's not bad. A tie rod end (replaced) and a messed-up alignment (still not right) was all that came of that. It's an old car anyways.

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
What do you like to do when you're snowed in during the winter?

Snow? That'll be that fluffy white stuff, right? Kinda cold and wet? Last time it snowed here (nineteen years ago) everyone was outside. Most of us had never seen the stuff and couldn't stop ourselves from playing with it. In fact, if it snows somewhere (a couple of mountain-towns experience regular snowfalls) people have been known to drive a hundred miles to go see it.

If it's bitterly cold, I like to cook soup or oxtail stew for the wife and I which we follow up with fudge and home-brewed gluhwein, all consumed while watching a favourite movie.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of us had never seen the stuff and couldn't stop ourselves from playing with it.

It was like this when it snowed in Shanghai one winter. All of my students were out in it. I mostly was glad I worked at the school across the street, because no one knew how to drive in it.

If it's bitterly cold, I like to cook soup or oxtail stew for the wife and I which we follow up with fudge and home-brewed gluhwein, all consumed while watching a favourite movie.

"Bitterly cold" counts as snowed in, and that sounds delightful.

Well, if I knew what gluhwein was.