G'Day

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Keh? How to you confuse SMS with this?! Haha, how exciting, you really know how to create suspense... :p

I still don't know how that happened.

Okay. So I was all ready to go to Sydney on my four days off, like literally packing my bag, when work called in because two people had called in sick and that's enough for the whole system to collapse apparently if my arse isn't dragged in. So my dinner consisted of half a bag of pistachios on the way to work, and the rest on the way home 11 hours later.

Meg02

Registered
Reaction score
I still don't know how that happened.

Okay. So I was all ready to go to Sydney on my four days off, like literally packing my bag, when work called in because two people had called in sick and that's enough for the whole system to collapse apparently if my arse isn't dragged in. So my dinner consisted of half a bag of pistachios on the way to work, and the rest on the way home 11 hours later.

Ohhhh that's terrible! Next time call Helix, they'll lend you some macadamias to mix things up :p

Meg02

Registered
Reaction score
Haha indeed. However I don't necessarily think the military could make many improvements... Unless it's to spend another 20 billion on more fighter jets. Just to you know, round it up...

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
QUEENSLANDER!!!
Now that's out of the way... how great is this country of ours?! Here's how my family spent the last weekend before Winter officially begins.
1798622_10152414771064547_4680353090373898139_n_zps86320282.jpg

meg_b

One step closer.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't visited this thread yet and I thought it was about time I get involved and say hello to other Aussies! So hello!

On the topic of Aussies, I find it absolutely hilarious that I have written stories before and had my betas comment on some sayings, claiming they weren't British (My story was set in England). I was so sure they were and when I went to research it, I realised that they were indeed Aussie slang (eg, "It's my shout"). Clearly I'm an uncultured fool because I didn't even realise that it was an Aussie saying. :tongue

QUEENSLANDER!!!
Now that's out of the way... how great is this country of ours?! Here's how my family spent the last weekend before Winter officially begins.
1798622_10152414771064547_4680353090373898139_n_zps86320282.jpg

That's absolutely beautiful! We definitely have some amazing landscape :)

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't visited this thread yet and I thought it was about time I get involved and say hello to other Aussies! So hello!

On the topic of Aussies, I find it absolutely hilarious that I have written stories before and had my betas comment on some sayings, claiming they weren't British (My story was set in England). I was so sure they were and when I went to research it, I realised that they were indeed Aussie slang (eg, "It's my shout"). Clearly I'm an uncultured fool because I didn't even realise that it was an Aussie saying. :tongue

That's absolutely beautiful! We definitely have some amazing landscape :)

That pic was at 2nd Lagoon at Bribie, so just to the left is the ocean. Such a great little island to explore :)

I know what you mean about the lingo. We're such a mishmashed culture that it's hard to know what is uniquely our own, and what we've acquired from other countries.

meg_b

One step closer.
Registered
Reaction score
That pic was at 2nd Lagoon at Bribie, so just to the left is the ocean. Such a great little island to explore :)

It's stunning. I've never been to Bribie Island before, but it's definitely a place I'd love to visit. There are so many amazing spots in Australia that I want to visit.

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Heyey fellow Aussies!

Sort of related to lingo but not really, my accent can be so thick and my actual speed of speech so quick that there were times during a holiday to Vegas a few years back that nobody could understand me.

Like, blank looks and slack jaws complete failure to comprehend. It's amazing how we can speak the same language (more or less) and still be unable to communicate. In the end I probably looked like an idiot over-enunciating everything just to make sure I got a cheeseburger and not a hash brown.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, 4b. :tongue

Although you're right, of course. I have an aunt and uncle who live in England, and they have a thick enough accent that I have trouble understanding them, despite us speaking the same language and even being related! And apparently there are even more difficult-to-understand dialects all over the UK.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My sister worked in an English pub for a while, and she said the hardest accents for her were the Scottish ones. Especially as they often had different names for common items, like matches. I forget what she said they called them, but it was NOT matches, and she had to get another customer to translate for her. :tongue

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I spent the years from about 18 to 22 in 'Irish' pubs (on the paying side of the counter sadly). I developed a special talent for deciphering the speech of drunk Scots. Ironically, there were more Scottish backpackers working in them than there were Irish.

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fortunate in that I have very, very Irish grandparents, so training my ears with them helps me understand a fair bit. Still though, the Scots are a whole 'nother breed.

Do know how to make a drink, though.

Anyway typical Aussie weather shennanigans. I've moved/am moving house last night/tonight, and therefore it is raining. Fortunately I'm only moving up the street but still. I don't think anyone in this country has ever moved house on a sunny day. I know I haven't, and I've changed home like 4 times in the past year.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
See, I have the opposite problem when moving. The last 3 moves have all happened on blisteringly hot Adelaide summer days. The 2nd one in particular was horrendous. I wore shorts, because y'know, it's hot, and this resulted in rubbing my thighs raw and getting a rash and such. Ack!

I think next time I move, I'm going to plan it to be on a cool day with no wind or rain, and have the movers do most of the work. :)

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any Aussies doing NaNoWriMo this year?? Feel free to buddy up with me if you want! My username is: tracey_e

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, someone left the gate open, and the Kiwis have come in from the back paddock...s=

We should let them stay. Then when they become internationally famous we can claim them as our own...