Because there has to be controversy about everything.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
A few months ago, I was assaulted by the sight of a t-shirt that said something wildly inappropriate for public consumption at a gas station. It probably didn't have the intended reaction that the young man wearing it hoped for, as I immediately decided he wasn't worth knowing, didn't look at him again, and hoped there weren't any grade school aged children slowly piecing those words together before asking their mom what it meant.

This poor science guy probably thought that he was 'dressing up', (if I can assume his usual dress is whatever happens to be on top of the pile when he gets around in the morning). One other thing that I can assume is that he'll give it a little more thought from now on. At least he was part of something amazing and inspiring. I'm doubtful that the person I spoke of earlier will ever contribute much to society.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
...It probably didn't have the intended reaction that the young man wearing it hoped for, as I immediately decided he wasn't worth knowing, didn't look at him again, and hoped there weren't any grade school aged children slowly piecing those words together before asking their mom what it meant...

This made me think of this "parentfail" image. "Daddy, what's your shirt mean...?"
T-shirt_zps6a7aa5d8.jpg

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Imho, most lesbians are different than men as far as sexism goes. They are much, much more aware of it than your average man, because they've lived it. So I would be less likely to consider a lesbian wearing that shirt a possible sexist jerk, yeah (or sexist clueless person). I don't consider the shirt a definite sign of sexist-jerkiness, btw... but it could be a bit of a red flag to look into more.

I still would feel the same about it being worn on such an occasion, though. Because of the possible implications of the images in a huge STEM-field presentation, a lesbian could be every bit as sexist or clueless in choosing to wear it then, imho.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Some interesting commentary from a woman in astronomy:

http://womeninastronomy.blogspot.com/2014/11/its-not-about-that-damn-shirt.html

I kinda want to quote the whole damn thing.

It's well worth reading, but the it's not a big deals should be quoted. They really show the cumulative effect of dismissal.

It's "not a big deal" when someone tells you he came to your talk because you're attractive.
It's "not a big deal" when a coworker comments on your appearance.
It's "not a big deal" when someone makes a "joke" at work demeaning women.
It's "not a big deal" when you are asked in a job interview if you have or are planning to have kids.
It's "not a big deal" that you were warned about what professor to avoid basically as soon as you got to school.
It's "not a big deal" that that same professor was untouchable by the administration because he was too famous.
It's "not a big deal" when someone assumes you are your own secretary on the phone.
It's "not a big deal" when someone calls you "Miss" and your male colleague "Doctor."
It's "not a big deal" when going to parties at a conference comes with warnings of which of your fellow scientists are dangerous.
It's "not a big deal" when your boss, adviser, or senior colleague asks you out.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
A very good essay, amergina.

... A female scientist ran an experiment this week: She has less than two dozen Twitter followers. She is almost never online, and is not "famous" in any sense of the word. She posted a tweet expressing support for the women being threatened, using the hashtags #ShirtStorm and #ShirtGate, to see how long it would take the "GamerGate" guys to start in on her.

It took 4 minutes.

Women said "Dude, wearing that shirt is not cool". Men are now spending days telling those women the graphic, specific ways they would like to rape and murder them.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It's "not a big deal" that you were warned about what professor to avoid basically as soon as you got to school.

It's "not a big deal" that that same professor was untouchable by the administration because he was too famous.

It's "not a big deal" when going to parties at a conference comes with warnings of which of your fellow scientists are dangerous.
This is very real.

I remember these things so well from my grad school days. Being told to be careful around a certain department member who was known for seducing grad students and who had received a really minor penalty from the department when it was discovered (yet, ironically, another professor who did the same thing was suggested as a committee member to me and he was never outed or punished at all). I also remember being warned at meetings who to not be alone with because he was known for being "handsy," and about one scientist who had allegedly "taken advantage" of a woman who was drunk (no one called it rape).

The whole broken stair thing.

Then there were the amused warnings about certain "older gentlemen" who would possibly be hostile or rude to us female grad students because they "didn't think girls should be doctoral students."

Sexism is so cute, quirky, and eccentric when it's an old, famous guy practicing it.

And OMG, there was my friend who was actually fired by the person who was directing her thesis project because she refused to share a room with him at a conference they were attending. She got hired back by the department when she complained and ended up working in a different lab, but she lost her chance to finish her original project. What happened to the dude in question? Nothing, except maybe a talking to. And he wasn't even in a tenured position (he was a soft-money researcher), so that wasn't the excuse. The reason it was tolerated was because he brought money into the university.

A university where the regents were in a lather about condom machines in the dorm bathrooms because of the message it sent to the voters of the state re morality. Puke.

And not mentioned is the very real truth: the percentage of women getting doctorates in most STEM fields has increased markedly in recent decades, yet the percentage of tenure-track research and teaching positions at major universities and institutions is still lagging. Women are more likely to end up in soft money or adjunct positions, or to be underemployed as technicians, and are more likely to leave STEM professions entirely.

Compared to all this, a shirt is indeed a small deal. One drop in a much larger ocean of shit.

Last edited: