William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Paul Greengrass Eyes George Orwell’s ‘1984’; ‘Finding Neverland’s James Graham To Write Script

EXCLUSIVE: At a time when surveillance cameras and drones make the Big Brother concept more plausible than ever, Sony Pictures is setting up a new version of George Orwell’s dystopian classic novel 1984. Paul Greengrass is attached to direct, and Scott Rudin is producing with Gina Rosenblum. They’ve set as their writer James Graham, who wrote the book for the Broadway-bound musical Finding Neverland...

Orwell’s cautionary tale most recently was turned into a film by writer-director Michael Radford. Released in 1984, it starred John Hurt as the man who rewrites history as a job and attempts to rebel by falling in love with a woman, a dangerous endeavor in a repressive society.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/1984-paul-greengrass-george-orwell-scott-rudin-1201289630/

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Iunno. I always hesitate to see reproductions of great works. I didn't like the Moore version of The Scarlet Letter, but I heard the DiCaprio Gatsby was excellent. 1984 was a very influential novel for me. I don't know if I would pay to see the new interpretation, because if it is anything like the movie made from Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder, I will run away screaming.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i thought radford's version was exceptionally well-made and faithful to the novel.

we'll see how greengrass does with it.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Radford's version is excellent, but I'll be interested to see this one.

I'll throw a hat in the ring for Viggo Mortensen. I always do.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It's not going to be a musical, right??

Oh yeah. I went to the previews. A highlight for me was I'LL BE STAMPING ON A HUMAN FACE FOREVER (O'Brien/the Inner Party Singers), a classic Broadway chorus-line number, but OLDTHINKERS UNBELLYFEEL INGSOC (Syme/Emannuel Goldstein's Ghost), done in the unconventional style of a rap battle, will be a breakout hit.

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
What?! :D A new musical by Mel Brooks!? "Springtime for busy-bodies at the NSA!"

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, this will be the first new adaptation since DHS adapted the work for their operations manual? Should be good.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's not going to be a musical, right??
That's what I was guessing, and it'll start out with Winston already in love with Big Brother. Lust from afar, actually. The Party will be led by benevolent angels who only have the good of the populace in mind, and Winston's job will be correcting history to show the real truth, even when it runs counter to the political narrative.

A well-respected mathematician will prove that 2+2 actually does add up to 5 when the math is performed on a multiverse-tunnelling replicator, ushering in the post-scarcity economy of caviar, champagne and diamonds for everybody. The Thought Police will patrol the streets, carrying magic wands that instantly "Turn That Frown Upside Down" and giving away a free unicorn with every attitude adjustment.

Julia, of course, will be a hot lil' vixen, luring Winston to multi-hour recreational orgies, where he learns the new party slogans, "Sharing is Caring", "The More The Merrier" and "Two's Company, Three's a Party, Four or More is Hale and Hearty." Big Brother is ambi-sexual, and appears on the Big Screen during these orgies with his BFF, Emmanuel Goldstein, in the Two Minute Screws.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If they turned Titanic into a musical, they can do it to 1984.

I can easily envision the Two Minute Hate stomp dance.

Some sort of dreamlike ballet number early on can illustrate Winston's fear of rats, foreshadowing a more menacing version in the crucial scene at the end.*

Surely the proles deserve some kind of lighthearted Mary Poppinesque number.** Maybe two, just to break up the heaviness. That obese woman hanging laundry deserves at least one number to herself, as I think of it. Perhaps, for a touch of irony, the film can go back and forth between her singing trite state-manufactured love ditties while hanging up dingy underwear and Julia and Winston in the little room above the shop doing a touching duet about love and rebellion.

And I'd like to see Winston's mother get a short but poignant number in a flashback, as she clutches her dying daughter to her bosom. She can represent the death of the world we know, the one Winston can barely remember but knows instinctively must have existed.

Oh. Wait. You all weren't serious?

ETA:

*the former to be entitled "Rats," and the latter "Room 101"

** entitled, of course, "If There Is Hope It Lies in the Proles"

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, and you could do a perfectly marvelous number at the beginning, where Julia is trying to work up the courage to slip Winston a love note while he's thinking she's a member of the Thought Police and envisioning smashing her head in with a cobblestone.*

Again, a duet, going back and forth, with grinding machinery and a menacing parade of faceless automatons in the background.

ETA:

And of course Winston must do a wistful ballad about the Golden Country.

ETA:

* entitled "Corrupt to the Bones" -- a phrase that will also feature in a shared repeated refrain throughout the duet.

ETA:

Why, yes, I am mentally writing the musical, to the detriment of my work. Why do you ask?

ETA:

Nick Cave and Tom Waits need to collaborate on the music.

People, this could be a thing. Really.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Ok. I'm assigning the Corrupt to the Bones duet to Cave. The mix of love and twisted violence and corruption is right up his alley. Ditto on the number that goes back and forth between the laundress and Julia and Winston in their little room. Also, I think he gets the poignant flashback to Winston's mother. We want to mix it up with the dark foreshadowing of the coming dystopian world and Winston's childhood selfishness in running off with the chocolate, and Cave will get that just right.

The Golden Country ballad goes to Waits, I think -- in the style of his sweet ballads full of imagery. He also gets the Two Minute Hate stomp -- he'll give it just the right touch of wild discord it needs. I'm thinking he gets the Mary Poppinesque prole bit as well -- done in the spirit one of his fun loony-tune type things like Filipino Box Spring Hog.

Don't mind me, folks. Just move along and leave me to babble.