About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAlex'sMommy

Registered
Reaction score
That would, indeed, be the one I filled out that got me the incredibly (un)helpful response. Well, boo. I hate to be a pest, but I guess I should send another email to customer care.

Thanks for the responses!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
well my 8.29.2011 application (placed the DAY that the topic went on the application list after being vacant since may of 2011) is still in waiting. While I feel happy that they haven't picked a prep yet (which would mean they didn't pick me) its still a LONG time to wait on a topic.

I'd say I'm amazed at my patience, but there's really nothing that I can possibly do but be patient on it. Sigh.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Uncarved, I see your topic is still up! So is mine!
You mentioned that it means waiting this long is because you haven't been chosen? I've been waiting for 20 weeks; now wondering if I have not been chosen either. I too put it in right when I saw the topic. Well, more waiting for us...hope it looks good for you!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I meant that since they haven't picked a Prep class yet, I'm still in the running (I check my status weekly).

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
So checked my status for this week, and the message went from "may take up to 8 weeks" to "may take up to several months." Anyone else get this message?

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
least they are starting to keep it honest, lol

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
That message might be a good thing. At least it shows that their times are taking significantly longer now so you know you're not lost in the shuffle.

Hoping to have more Absolute Write colleagues at About.com at some point in the future, be it near or far.

MrAlex'sMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Good gravy! It took two customer care forms, but I'm finally getting the status emails. Sandy, mine says the same thing...it may take up to several months. That's fine; I just wanted to know if it had gone into prep yet (and make sure I'm getting the emails in case I'm selected).

Best of luck to all who are waiting. I hope you hear something soon and that it's good news!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Sad to hear. I'm a moderator at a few of the forums there at About, and the number of sites lacking guides is just a shame.

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
2012 is already a strong year for a lot of folks, hoping everyone here gets into prep at least, we all have waited so long. Would love to hear the news from those waiting when they do get that email, or not, but hopefully it's positive. :)

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I know it is frustrating to have such a long wait, but it really serves us all better that About.com takes such care in hiring on new writers.

Google's Panda update was specifically aimed at low quality web pages, so those sites like eHow and Examiner and Associated Content (etc.) that concentrated more on quantity than quality got hit hard.

About.com has always put a premium on quality, and while they felt some backlash of Panda (like most websites), they are in a much better position to deal with it and even profit from it than other websites exactly because they put an emphasis on quality in the hiring process.

I know for a fact that I've had an easier time getting page views because of Panda rather than losing page views because of it. Of course, it helps that I got hired right around the time when Panda was hitting so I could make sure I didn't do anything it dislikes, but if you put out quality work on a quality website, you can benefit form Google's new search strategy.

NH700

Registered
Reaction score
Website
manyhatsmoney.blogspot.com
Good gravy! It took two customer care forms, but I'm finally getting the status emails. Sandy, mine says the same thing...it may take up to several months. That's fine; I just wanted to know if it had gone into prep yet (and make sure I'm getting the emails in case I'm selected).

Best of luck to all who are waiting. I hope you hear something soon and that it's good news!

Hi all, new to the forum. *waving* I actually joined because of this thread. I applied to be a topic guide in September 2011, and had the same problem as MrAlex'sMommy. Checking my application status never worked, and I received the same "We will notify the editor" response when I contacted help.

Now it miraculously works! Maybe your second contact to customer care had far reaching effects MrAlex'sMommy! :) Thanks for the helpful info everyone.

Now the waiting game . . . "We have not had a chance to review your application . . . several months . . ."

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Herdon, I see your point. I am not privy to the changes with Google, I should spend more time reading through the info about it. Thanks!
Glad to hear your site has benefited from the changes!

NH700, I too applied back in Sept 2011, and still waiting but it is better than an outright "We went in another direction...you weren't chosen for the topic...etc" :)

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
The trick is to try to forget about your application. Hard, I know, but it can be done. I actually forgot because I was in the middle of an insanely busy period when I applied to About.com. I literally almost deleted their response as spam when it finally came...then, thank goodness, I realized what it was. It's like the watched pot that never boils. Then, take your eyes away for a minute and those elusive bubbles finally rise.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
If anyone has expertise in the following topics, About.com is actively seeking topics for them (which I suspect mean they'll be the quickest to go into Prep once they get some good prospects):

Autos – Car Tech
Food – Australian & New Zealand Food
Home & Garden – Rugs & Carpets
Finance – Retirement Planning
News & Issues – Middle East Issues
Health – Urology

About en Español – Celulares [Cellphones],
Computadoras Mac [Mac Computers], Email,
Música mexicana [Mexican Music], Muebles [Furniture],
Ropa para niños [Kid´s Fashion], Zapatos [Shoes] &
Parques de diversión [Amusement Parks]

aether

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a few weeks, as it seems to be the only place for about.com applicants and guides. I applied to be a guide about 5 weeks ago and just got accepted for evaluation. I had applied and then sort of forgotten about it, not expecting to get in. And then, whadya know....I'm in! I'm excited but a little overwhelmed since we have company for 2 out of the 3 weeks of evaluation and I am already feeling behind on day 2!

If anyone has any advice, hints, tips, tricks, etc. for evaluation, I'm all ears! I have just started on the book that is the "Lounge" and find it to be somewhat overwhelming. I just closed it down and decided I should focus on writing and content, and learn the rest later!!!

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Congrats on getting into prep! I remember that overwhelmed feeling very well. Put your main focus on the content. Make it error free, and find lots of opportunities to link to other About.com content, or even to your own sample articles. Other things like SEO are important, but that can be perfected later if you prove yourself to be a good writer. Oh, and don't be afraid if you don't get a ton of feedback. That worried me, but apparently that was a good thing since I did get chosen.

aether

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, inkkognito! Also, I do appreciate the extra advice to just focus on content. I'm nervous that I won't have very much to link to right away, as the topics they gave me to write about are very specific and from my quick searching earlier, I see there is not much on about.com at all in relation to it. I will see what I can come up with, but might end up with no about.com links in the first couple. Perhaps I can include them in my blogs somehow.

I guess all that is left to do is to dive in and see what happens...which won't happen until my husband gets home to take over with the kids. I can't get much done with them running around!

I am excited!!!!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
What topic is your Prep for aether? If you don't mind sharing that is?

aether

Registered
Reaction score
Aviation/Aerospace. Perhaps it's one that not many people go for so they don't have to sift through many applications? We will likely never know how the application process works from their end.

I read the last few pages of the thread, and I'm sorry you're still waiting. :(

It looks like the aviation/aerospace page has been empty for a long time. There isn't much content up yet, which leaves me with plenty to write about, so I can't complain!

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I don't think its a matter of the quantity of applications as it can be an issue with the quality of the applications. Even they see a candidate they think fits, they want 3-5 people to go through prep and each one of them must stack up well enough that they have a legitimate chance to be chosen. That's my guess on why some topics can take longer (though I could be wrong, of course).

sandyc27

Registered
Reaction score
Best wishes Aether! That's great you were chosen for prep in 5 weeks! I totally get the "what to do with the kids, while I plug away at Prep" bit, and curious how you will handle it. I have been homeschooling my 7yro daughter, also in a gifted program and work for an adoption agency, so it looks like I would totally rely on my hubby to write when he gets home from work. I wish you well in getting it all done and know it can be done, from reading this thread from start to finish (secretly happy to hear parents were very successful in prep). Let us know how it goes when you come up for air ~ hope prep goes really well!

broken_seq

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just registered here because I just finished About.com prep last week. Essentially, here was my process:

I applied for the topic back in late September/early October. Didn't get accepted to prep until early/mid January. So, for anyone out there wondering if it can take a while before you hear anything, it can.

As for prep itself, I got an email from About telling me I had been accepted. I was instructed to write three articles based on topics they gave me in the email (each of which needed to be a minimum of 600 words,) as well as one or two blog posts. This all had to be done in a week.

So, I wrote the three articles and two blog posts and submitted them. I got them back with a few minor edits, and then moved on to the second phase of prep. This phase is two weeks long and includes you uploading your sample material from week one to a mock site using About's tools.

This second part was a tad trickier than I thought it would be. I assumed, "hey, I can figure out internet stuff rather quickly, I've built and run websites before." The thing is, the tools are not the most intuitive things in the world. Beyond that, there is also a lag in uploading, so it may take some time before your material shows up (in the meantime, you just get frustrated and repeat the same process over and over.)

Anyway, I got my site done, everything was uploaded, all SEO/metadata filled in, and then I wait. Everything had to be done by last Friday (which was five days ago,) and I was told it may take up to a week before they make a decision.

Now, I never counted on getting the position in the first place, so if I didn't get it, no big deal, right? Well, as Monday came and went, and still no decision, I admit, I started getting antsy. Then all day yesterday )Tuesday,) every time my phone chirped with a new email, I got a bit of a rush...but alas, no news.

So, finally, today (Wednesday,) I get the email...aaaaaaaannnnndddd.....

I didn't get the position.

BUT, I enjoyed the experience and it was pretty cool to even be selected for prep, and then to make it into the second round. My editor was very nice, professional and polite (of course I got the standard "this was a very tough decision to make" and "It's no fun for us to turn away writers with great experience",) and answered any questions I had.

So, just to sum up...

-It can be months before you hear back from About.com.
-Prep currently consists of writing three articles and one or two blog posts, and then uploading them and building a mock site.
-You won't know who you're up against or how many.

Status
Not open for further replies.