YA writer with big goals

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Danae. I heard about this website primarily from blogs that promote it as a place to get queries critiqued. But there is so much going on here, I think it would be wise of me to join in.

I write primarily YA fiction. Currently, I'm about to embark on the second revision of my first (completed) novel. My goal is to secure an agent, get published with a Big 5 publisher, and hit a bestseller list. I know that's aiming really high, but I want to do my best to reach it. If I fall short, at least I won't be wishing I had tried a little harder.

My first revision was just cleaning up the rough draft. I have it in the hands of a few readers now, who hopefully can let me know if I'm on the right track. For the next revision, I want to incorporate advice from Donald Maass' "Breakout Novel" and workbook, Larry Brooks' "Story Engineering," and maybe some stuff from James Scott Bell. I know my plot rattles and the book is too long.

It would be great to find other writers who have similar goals and are at a similar stage as I am, so we can tackle this challenge together.

corishoe

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Danae! I'm new here, too. Good luck on your journey :)

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I just saw your introduction post on this thread, also. I encourage you to keep reading good stuff like you're doing and play around with writing. I wrote a ton of random stuff in high school and college--absurd short stories, character profiles and scenes that never went anywhere, transcriptions of funny conversations my friends had, long emails about my life and thoughts. Anything to practice putting ideas into words. Then, when that hot idea does come to you, you'll be more prepared to work with it. :)

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Danae!

Always glad to greet a fellow YA writer! I would love to hear more about your novel!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You might enjoy the Old People Writing for Teens thread. (Ignore the title - it was named by contrast to Teens Writing for Teens.) It's a group of pretty dedicated YA writers and a lot of us are really into the process, so you can come tell us about what you learned from Writing the Breakout Novel. :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Nice to see some really solid goals. :) Good luck, DanaeMcB! I'm a YA writer as well, just finishing off a revision and about to hit the query trenches with novel No.2 and start drafting novel No.3.
I'll be happy to swap notes and cheer you on when you hit the querying stage!

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Parametric, I'll check that thread out!

Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement, everyone! Much nicer than a published author I met a few months ago after a YA panel. I mentioned that I'm working on my first novel, and she said (without knowing anything about it or me) "You should just set that one aside and write another. First novels usually aren't any good. Here, I have some writing tips on my website." I checked out her writing tips. They were all very basic. Then I read her book and decided she wasn't someone I want to emulate, anyway. It was a cute story with passable writing, but there was no depth or magic to it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Welcome, Danae! Big goals are the best ones. Good luck! (-:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My advice is always to aim as high as you dream. You can readjust your goals later but you can't get a big 5 contract if you started out submitting to a small press.

Wish you every success!!

didi768

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and you have a GREAT attitude and I know you will be successful. As I'm learning, don't listen to the nay sayers. Most of the people here are honest and kind. I too think I will visit the OLD PEOPLE WRITING FOR YOUNG PEOPLE thread haha, as I think I could do that. That is if I ever figure out how to stop switching POV's haha.

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Hey DanaeMcB. Nice to meet a fellow YA writer and newbie to the Cooler. Best of luck on your goals. Following a dream is a great journey no matter what the outcome.

For ten years I played music, and worked my hardest to get signed to a major label. Long story short: It didn't work out. BUT, I've never regretted it, and had a hell of a lot of fun trying to get there.

Again, good luck and aim high!

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Hello and welcome! If you haven't already, head on over to Query Letter Hell and start critiquing. It's a great way to get to know the regular critters and get a feel for how we do things around here. Either way, good luck.

:welcome:

KidWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hi Danae, I'm new here too, and have found it to be a very encouraging place so far! I love YA fiction, and would love to hear more about the progress of your novel!

corishoe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I just saw your introduction post on this thread, also. I encourage you to keep reading good stuff like you're doing and play around with writing. I wrote a ton of random stuff in high school and college--absurd short stories, character profiles and scenes that never went anywhere, transcriptions of funny conversations my friends had, long emails about my life and thoughts. Anything to practice putting ideas into words. Then, when that hot idea does come to you, you'll be more prepared to work with it. :)

Thank you for the advice. :D

Callegro

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, welcome!

I read an author's first book, and it was great! This place is an amazing resource, good luck on your goals!