Greetings!

oliverwendell

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Absolute Writers! I've been a lurker for a while, and decided it was high time I joined the conversation. I've learned so much from all of you; I doubt I can come close to giving back as much as I've gotten, but I will try my best!

A quick bit about me: I live outside San Francisco, where I'm married with two teenaged kids. I've been working on a novel for about five years -- I think it's literary fiction, but the definition of "literary" kind of eludes me. I just finished it, and something about being able to say that seems to empower me to do things like join writers' communities like this one. It's like I've become legit somehow, which I know is ridiculous, because of course a writer is no less legit when she's working on her book as she is when she's done, but there you have it. And here I am.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! To be honest, I've been "working on" my novel for almost 15 years. (Many of those years I didn't actually do anything with it. Decided to get serious about it a couple of years ago.) Congratulations on getting this far! What is your next step?

oliverwendell

Registered
Reaction score
Cake!! I knew I loved this place! Why, thank you!

And DanaeMcB, it's nice to hear from another wanderer in the wilderness! In answer to your question, I have a query letter ready to go and am about to write my synopsis. In February I'm going to the San Francisco Writers Conference (just over the bridge from me) to do agent pitches. I hope you join me, soon, in the terrifying world of book selling!

Niki03

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I've been working on mine for years, so you aren't alone. :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here I am.

I'm glad you're there. If you're ever in Lafayette, say "Hi" to my sister, Di. You may have to sign it, as she's also deaf. :ty:

Literary fiction is where the narrator and all the characters use a lot of big words, and they drone on and on about lofty subjects--sort of like Alleycat did in Post #2. :D

:welcome:, Fourteen. :hi:

Chase, jest jestin'

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Welcome to AW! Congratulations on your writing accomplishments, definitely pat yourself on the back for that you deserve it. Best wishes for the really "fun" part, or so I've heard!