What's the deal with Threepenny Review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeloppen

Registered
Reaction score
We all wait months or perhaps forever for a magazine to accept or reject a story. That's the way it is... But something odd is going on at Threepenny Review. I submitted a story on June 4. It e-mailed the usual form rejection on June 6. That was quick, I thought. I sent another story on June 8. The rejection arrived on the 10th. That's even odder, I thought. A story I sent on the 16th came back on the 18th. Now I'm really puzzled. I'm following their guidelines; I submit through their online site; they accept submission till the end of June. If I wrote the editors and received assurance that someone had read my story, I wouldn't feel better. Is anyone else having this quick turnaround?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
According to their page on the Grinder, they seem to be a fast responder: http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Market.aspx?mid=177

Don't read anything into it, other than they reply quickly. It doesn't mean the story hasn't been read. Just that they're good at keeping their submission queue down to a manageable level. The market who takes a month to reply doesn't give your story any more time. They just have a backlog of submissions, so it takes them a month to look at it.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
I looked up their response time on Duotrope. Two to four days is standard, nothing to worry about.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
It normally takes a while, it should be normal- since many submissions are sent in but maybe there is a contact or support email or number where you can communicate with them if needed.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
They practice reading stories as fast as they come in. It's really this simple. If they ever get so many submissions that this is impossible, response times will increase. F&SF has always had a very fast response time, compared to other magazines, and it's for the same reason.

Rejections, of course, are usually a lot faster than acceptances because most rejections are instantaneous, and many acceptances require a lot of thought, sometimes time to see what else comes in, and often more than one opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.