• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Panic.

Sheer, unadulterated panic.

That's what's on my mind regarding my writing...

WHEE!

sennydreadful

X-Box Fancier
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sennydreadful.com
Nearing the end of the first pass on this edit - haven't quite sorted everything that needs sorting, but looking forward to catching it on the second go.

Jon M

I against I
Registered
Reaction score
Was attempting to finish a 10k novelette over the course of ten days, ending tonight, but didn't quite make it. Almost, though ... ~ 8k.

(is slow ... in many ways)
Finished this today. Overshot the 10k mark by 7,200 words. :)

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I had a revelation yesterday. I realized that I don't have a problem with perfectionism when I write a first draft (NaNoWriMo solved that one years ago), I have a problem with pacing. I don't need a first-draft to be perfect, but if the pacing is bad it just kills my momentum.

Now let's see how long it takes me to forget that and go back to pounding my head against the desk. :D

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I can't seem to come up with a good plot line/summary or anything like that lately. Usually I try to write with a small something in mind just so I know what's going on. However, I can't seem to even do that right now. I have no idea what's going on. It's been like this for a while now. I don't even know if using a "first line" generator or prompt. (The prompt where they give you the first line of the story will help me out). I think I need an actual plot generator or something. I could try looking at the prompts in the flash fiction section but I don't know if that'll work. Anyone have any suggestions?

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Currently working on giving my character (and the hero of the series no less) a panic disorder.

Also, working on trying to get all my characters to meet in ways that don't seem contrived or... well, contrived would cover my line of thought pretty thoroghly.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Currently moving into a new stage of progress. I now have one older story on the editing block, which frankly I should have been working on while writing my last one. I also have the new one still in production, as it were. Trying to decide how to divide my writing time between them is proving a challenge.

I think the main issue is that the older story is very rough and in dire need of expansion, particularly in the beginning. So it's not so much revising as it is writing an actual beginning. I didn't know how to start it so I just started somewhere. And I keep catching myself writing in the wrong POV because this one is in third but my current story is in first. Ah, #writerproblems.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Frustration. :Headbang: Forcing myself to write every day, working on my WIP. I feel like all I'm doing is working on my fine motor skills, it's reading so flat. :(

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Currently working on giving my character (and the hero of the series no less) a panic disorder.

Also, working on trying to get all my characters to meet in ways that don't seem contrived or... well, contrived would cover my line of thought pretty thoroghly.

I know all about having a panic disorder, even to the point of being damn near agoraphobic at one point in my life. It really sucks.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Book 1: More editing to do.

Book 2: Out of sight, but constantly on my mind. What to take out, what to keep, how to cut word count without losing threads, yaddah, yaddah.

Book 3: What to add, how to add it, who to kill off.

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
Book 1: More editing to do.

Book 2: Out of sight, but constantly on my mind. What to take out, what to keep, how to cut word count without losing threads, yaddah, yaddah.

Book 3: What to add, how to add it, who to kill off.

I know this thread isn't really for giving advice, but this might apply and might help you. I'm writing a fantasy trilogy and don't intend to try to publish til all three books are done. I was having a hard time deciding where to end book one and book two, so I decided to just write the whole trilogy as long huge book and then decide how to fix and find the endings for each book.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score

My MC is turning out less interesting than I'd hoped and been thinking about inflicting something similar. Panic attacks or maybe a volatile streak.

Its this type of decision that paralyses my writing.

Shenanigans!

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've joined the forums finally and will eventually post some of my work for feedback am I actually ready for serious (and possibly painful) criticism like I claimed and wanted?

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Now that I've joined the forums finally and will eventually post some of my work for feedback am I actually ready for serious (and possibly painful) criticism like I claimed and wanted?

I'm in a similar boat. Thus far, I'm still shielded by a) my lack of 50 posts, and b) my latest unfinished draft. But I'm sure that as soon as those two obstacles are removed, I'll jump right in there and... yeah, I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Thinking about starting to edit my novel, a little scared to look at it, yet I've been itching to get to it. It's been a couple of weeks, and I haven't read the first chapters in a long, long while, hence the fear to look at them.

Also, at a stand still for now on book #2 until I get some more research done. Good time to work on the edits of book #1.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Probably just going to stay on writing break. I really don't have any ideas right now.

Probably wise. Let your well refill. Indulge in favorite movies, books, shows. Take walks, clean the bathroom, UFYH*NSFW language, let your mind wander with no pressure to go anywhere at all.