Simultaneous Reprint Queries?

Is it okay to submit multiple short story queries to publishers?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know, I'm lurking here to find out myself.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
I have a query ethical question. Magazines clearly state if they take simultaneous submissions, does anyone know if this applies to reprint queries? Or for short story queries in general?

My thoughts are "no", but I wanted to check in and see if anyone has experience in this area.

Last edited:

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought is that it's pretty rare to query a short story. (There are a few magazines that require it, but for most of those, your chances of publishing a short story in them without a long publication history are very slim.) In the case of reprints, you usually just include in the cover letter, "My story was published in X magazine on Y date and I have since regained the rights." or something like that.

So I'd assume (if I'm understanding your question right), that if a magazine allowed both simultaneous submissions AND reprints, that it would then be okay with receiving a query for a previously published story that other magazines were seeing simultaneously.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
What Mutive said. I've never had to query for a short story. Also, the mag/ezine/publisher will say whether they accept reprints or no.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll elaborate a bit more:

I had a short story published a few years ago. I've been looking to get it republished for no reason other than it's just collecting dust at this point.

I've found a few magazines that will take reprints (and I recognize the shots are slim to none), but you have to query first, then they'll let you know if they're interested enough to receive the actual story. Some of these magazines will take simultaneous submissions (e.g. for unpublished fiction), some wont, but I've yet to come across a magazine that explicitly states what their policy is in regards to simultaneous queries for reprints.

So I'd assume (if I'm understanding your question right), that if a magazine allowed both simultaneous submissions AND reprints, that it would then be okay with receiving a query for a previously published story that other magazines were seeing simultaneously.
I'd agree.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can only say that simultaneous queries are fine everywhere else. They're fine with book editors, fine with agents, and fine with all the magazines I've sold nonfiction to.

It is rare to have to query short stories, but my feeling is that if you do, a query is a query. Obey what they say about the short stories themselves, but I wouldn't have any problem at all submitting simultaneous queries.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I would say to do what you wish- it shouldn't pose a big issue for the reason it is a publication company, and that is what they do. But do what feels right.

Status
Not open for further replies.