Query Letters for Short Story Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leona Illig

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having some trouble finding advice on how to do a query letter for a short story collection. Can anyone point me to some good resources or examples?

Many thanks,
Leona

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is a forum here called Query Letter Hell in the Share Your Work forum. You can't post your letter until you have 50 posts, but you can comment on others and read to see how others do it.

Not to be a downer, but short story collections are hard to sell, especially if they haven't ben published. When I've asked the same questionas you, even about a collection of shorts starring the same characters, the advice has been to get them published separately first then try to sell the collection. My experience so far of querying the collection has born this out. But I love publishing shorts, so that journey can be rewarding in itself.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's really the same as any other query letter, only easier, I think. It's really tough to sell a short story collection unless most or all the stories have been previously published in decent magazines. Even then, it's far from easy. Unless your name is pretty darned well known, short story collections just do not sell well. Even many famous writers have relatively poor sales with short story collections.

Nothing is impossible, but I'm not sure anything is tougher for a new writer to sell than a short story collection. It has happened, but it's extremely rare, especially if you want a paper an dink sale.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a lovely typo, James: paper an dink.

Maryn, grinning

Status
Not open for further replies.