Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Goddamn hurricane ruining my morning run. Grrr...

Still power and internet for now. We'll see how long that lasts.

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
stormie- you didnt have to evacuate?

South Jersey here, about 40 miles inland from where the eye is supposed to hit (atlantic city).... lots of rain, and winds now. schools closed today and tommorow, thank god we still have power. we have a well so if we lose power we lose water....right now watching the news and seeing how strong the storm is supposed to be is nerve wracking. My husband is a firefighter and will be at the station all night. Me and the kids are gonna bunk out in the family room. We live in a very woodsy area (we are on the edge of the pinelands) and we are surrounded by trees. the concern is one of these trees crashing into the house.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
got my washing done last night. have filled the water cooler (50 L) and the water jug 4L. have kibble for the dog and tins of legumes in case... they won't like it, but it's better than nuffin! Have taken the furniture off the deck. Hatches officially battened! Only have 1 flashlight though...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
got my washing done last night. have filled the water cooler (50 L) and the water jug 4L. have kibble for the dog and tins of legumes in case... they won't like it, but it's better than nuffin! Have taken the furniture off the deck. Hatches officially battened! Only have 1 flashlight though...

Got a smartphone?

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
NW NJ...

Block the drains in your tubs, gang, and fill with water to bail the toilet (I like to use a plastic bag filled with wet cat litter to keep the tub from slow-draining).

We're tucked in against the foothills of the Poconos, and may escape the worst, even though the town is starting to report tree fallage and road closures...

:Hug2:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in. We're good so far. Still have power. It's a tad boring today though.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Coastal New Jersey:

Same here. Cable and electricity okay for now. Did all the laundry, dishes, etc. Have paper plates and cups to use later. Told my sons not to change clothes and throw them in the wash every four hours.

Our condo is right on the boardwalk in AC. They told us to gtfo yesterday. Luckily, we have a place inland. The whole outlet area by The Walk is totally flooded. It's crazy.

stormie- you didnt have to evacuate?

South Jersey here, about 40 miles inland from where the eye is supposed to hit (atlantic city).... lots of rain, and winds now. schools closed today and tommorow, thank god we still have power. we have a well so if we lose power we lose water....right now watching the news and seeing how strong the storm is supposed to be is nerve wracking. My husband is a firefighter and will be at the station all night. Me and the kids are gonna bunk out in the family room. We live in a very woodsy area (we are on the edge of the pinelands) and we are surrounded by trees. the concern is one of these trees crashing into the house.

Sounds like you're right near me. Luckily, I'm Pacific fleet, so I'm not worried about being recalled. It's not so bad here yet though. I'm hoping it doesn't get insane tonight. They said it would be at its worst between now and midnight, so we'll see.

I hope your husband doesn't get too busy.

Come on, do the Lethbridge Game: run into the wind!

I thought about it! We have a treadmill inside though, so it was hard to justify going outside.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update: Well, now we have a tree down, it's on the power lines and blocking our street.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Prayers sent to all. Here it's pretty good so far. Hope it stays this way 'n you guys stay safe.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so worried about everyone! Please check in if you're able. If you can't, stay safe!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I posted a pic of our downed tree limb in Charlie and the Nature Factory.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Just went outside for a quick jog. Wasn't too bad, but I heard some stuff banging around and got a little concerned that something would come flying at me.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got home from work (my job=taking care of animals; not going is not an option) and...it's really really wet out. :p Wind is obnoxious and cold and pummels the rain into you, but it's not bad enough to destroy anything yet. Driving was fine, probably because of the total lack of people on the road to smash into each other. And I borrowed someone's SUV with big fuck-off tires.

But I'm a bit south of landfall and fairly inland. The pictures from the coast are scary. I hope those of you up there in the path of the seriousness get through it all right. :Hug2:

On the lighter side:

Hurricane Sandy DC Horse-Headed Shirtless Man

Every storm has one, doesn't it?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of rain, moderate wind. The power has flickered a couple of times, but hasn't gone out yet. Crossing my fingers to get through this without a power outage, 'cause the utility company around here usually takes days to get the power restored.

Obviously, I'm better off than the people closer to the coast...