Status
Not open for further replies.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
May the Nile ever be still on its journey. May it find eternal joy in the Field of Reeds. May Osiris bless its spirit.

And may its replacement last a tad longer. :tongue

Its replacement is nicknamed Dean the Legend. Feels like they last longer if they have a name.

My dead one didn't fare well with 'PENDRIVE (I)'.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the closest call you've had?
Driving home (camper in tow) from vacation Monday, my husband had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear ending the trailer in front of us, which had also slammed on its brakes. Two-lane highway, gravel shoulders, a line of oncoming traffic, and our 4,000 pound camper swaying like mad threatening to tip the car over. Then, bearing down full bore in our direction comes the car that caused it all, flying down the shoulder on our side of the road.

Dayum.

Definitely wouldn't be able to finish my WIP dead.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Closest call? When my parents' house got hit by lightning and the attic (where I lived) caught fire. I stood outside on the sidewalk watching flames shoot out of the window, and my heart sank as I realized my computer was in the attic, and my floppies with all my backup files were sitting on the desk beside it. I cried. Then I realized our cats were still in the house, and I cried even harder.

Fortunately, the fire station was just a block away, so they were able to put the fire out quickly. The cats were found hiding under the bed, protected from the smoke by the bed's dust ruffle. My floppies were damaged by smoke, but I was able to copy them over before they died. All's well that ends well. . . .

A separate, but related story--when I lived with my parents, my PC regularly died. Every six to twelve months, zap! Apparently, my father has some kind of excess static electricity in his body that kills laptops and computers and electronic equipment. I don't think he realizes why his computers are always dying. And he doesn't know how to salvage files off them, he just does a wipe and reinstalls Windows. Anyway, once I got married and moved out, I stopped losing my computers every year. Unfortunately, a lot of my early stories were saved on 3.5" floppies which mysteriously vanished when I moved out. I still have print-outs of some of them, but I lost all of the letters I'd written back and forth with my high school sweetheart, among other things.

They say you ought to back up daily, using at least three different methods, at least one of which is off-site. So, I email my files to myself, I use a thumb drive, plus an external hard drive, and Amazon's free backup Cloud Drive. Cloud is the easiest, I just drag the files over and it copies them. The others take more effort, so they don't get done as frequently.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hot coffee all over the laptop.

Fzzzzzzzzzhh >blink<

It was so bad I figured I had nothing to lose by washing the fracking thing under the sink. So I did, then turned it up-side-down to drain overnight.

The next morning, it worked.

John342

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! I just did that yesterday! And I'm still letting it sit and dry out to see if it works.

I have a 2nd hard drive in my computer and my thumb drive serves as my working, or in case of major fire, back up... can't be to careful these days. I wonder if there is literary espionage?... hmmm

Just an update (as if anyone cares) I tested it today and it works as always...

Status
Not open for further replies.