Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
My first book has 4 2-star reviews and 4 1-star. I try not to let it bother me too much. There are a hell of a lot more 5 and 4 star reviews, so I figure the ones who hated it are in the minority and you can't please everyone.
I am tickled that I do have some fans that make comments on the bad reviews. I don't ask people to do it, but I do find it heartening that someone cares enough about my work to defend it.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
I was curious, so I read the blurb for your book on Amazon. I don't mean to pile it on, but I agree with your reviewer that the blurb is confusing. So many strange names, I lost track of them. I think that blurb is not doing you any favors. That's the sort of thing you should submit in the Submit Your Work portion of this message board. My query got kicked to crap, but it was so damn helpful.

This is by way of seconding the recommendation that a beta reader/crit partner is invaluable. I'm super lucky to have a corps of about 5 beta readers who have read all three drafts of my novel and are ready to read the next one too.

The other really helpful thing is having a thick skin. Negative feedback is depressing. God knows I've had some internal temper tantrums and feelings of despair when I encounter serious problems in my work. Take a little time, drive around, sleep on it. Often you realize that this crisis is a major learning opportunity.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The names won't be helped; I'm not changing Mokallai to Chris and Dyiij to Sheryl for anyone.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
The names won't be helped; I'm not changing Mokallai to Chris and Dyiij to Sheryl for anyone.

Not suggesting that. What I've gleaned from my time in QLH is that you don't have to name off everyone who's involved. Streamline, simplify, tell enough to engage a potential reader in the main conflict of the book but not so much that they feel overwhelmed by a deluge of names and places.

It wouldn't matter if they were named Mokollai and Dyijj or Chris and Sheryl. Readers get just as confused and overwhelmed by too many Chrises and Sheryls.

malamute

Registered
Reaction score
reviews

Just to say I've had a fab response on His Girl Friday, and also some one or two negatives, but that's part of this game. Some things you take on board and agree with, but either way when you put your baby out there for a critique you have to listen to what a person thinks.
I've taken the jump and sent off Wolfsong Lullaby to lots of various paranormal erotic romance reviewers, whatever they come back with, fingers crossed its good, if not, then I'll take a learning curve and listen. It may only be one persons take on it, but that one person counts.
But anyway don't be disheartened, keep in there and keep smiling.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thirding (fourthing?) the suggestion to have beta readers. I don't think one or two is nearly enough. Try to have maybe five at least. You don't have to listen to everything they say, but usually there will be some kind of consensus which will let you know what to fix.

I don't think the review was vague. I thought it was actually really helpful, tbh. Not saying you should necessarily listen to it, but I thought the reviewer listed a couple of things worth considering.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to call this a little bit of an update.

I found out the reason Melissa (from Writocracy) gave me a two-star review was A) she was pissed I didn't clutter the story with the very details I decided to apendicize, B) she got cocky because I bothered to message her back saying "I look forward to seeing what you have to say in x-weeks" and C) my story wasn't in her list of things that she was used to - apparently not many people know what third person omniscience is anymore. So that screwed me over.

On the other hand, I've gotten more four-star ratings (and one four-star review) from others who have read the book. And the feedback I get from my fellow writers who have taken a stab at it is near-sterling.

So today I've accepted that in the opinion of some, I'm a terrible writer. And I'm going to keep on writing. Terribly.

Anywho.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. Yes, I will be ignoring that one review.

And now it's time to get back to work.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think ever responding to a poor review is a huge, huge, huge mistake. And no reviewer is ever wrong. For her, she was exactly right, and should say just what she did.

Why even read reviews? It's as pointless as screen doors in a submarine. You can win an argument about reviews, and if you believe the good ones, you're obligated to believe the bad ones.

I haven't read a review in twenty years, and haven't missed a single thing. I care what average readers say, and they always let me know. I don't give a rat's ass what any reviewer says, even if the review compares me favorably to Shakespeare.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I like your humility Shirokirie. You seem like a neat person. I will give you 5 stars for personality.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's bad form to respond to any thoughtful critique (which this was) with anything other than "thank you for the time you took to read and comment on my work."

Arguing with someone's honest opinion about your work shows a lack of grace. I've had reviews of my work that ranged from sterling to, in my opinion, way off base. Asking questions to deepen one's understanding of the other person's perspective? Yes. Valuable. Taking it personally, getting into it with the person, and disparaging them? No. No bueno.

Just say "thank you," even for negative reviews, and move on. As Feste says in Twelfth Night: "Truly, sir, the better for my foes and the worse
for my friends... they praise me and make an ass of me; now my foes tell me plainly I am an ass: so that by my foes, sir I profit in the knowledge of myself, and by my friends, I am abused."

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
So I go my first two-star review. ...

You're going to get good reviews and bad reviews.
Read them if it gives you pleasure and amusement.
Do not read them if it messes with your head.

Do not do anything about bad reviews.
Don't respond to them. Don't attempt to argue.

Go to your editor, your agent, your critique partners, your creative writing teacher, writing books, and writer's sites like AW on the internet to learn how to write.
Do not go to reviewers.

Your sales data tells you whether you are 'writing well'. Look at that instead of reviews.

Last edited:

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's bad form to respond to any thoughtful critique (which this was) with anything other than "thank you for the time you took to read and comment on my work."
Speaking of thoughtful, here's the other one.

I don't agree with responding with even 'thank you.' I do agree with not responding at all. I can see the futility of that from the other side of the universe. :tongue

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
But yet you did respond? (according to your previous post)

For some, any response is intrusive -- it makes them feel like the author is looking over their shoulder

So it kinda depends on them

Best not to respond at all, unless perhaps you know them otherwise.

Last edited:

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I havn't responded.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't agree with responding with even 'thank you.' I do agree with not responding at all. I can see the futility of that from the other side of the universe. :tongue

From your post, I thought you had responded. I personally would never respond to a bad review.

Note that my comment was that the only gracious response to a meaningful critique was "thank you." That does not mean you should respond to negative reviews. It means that raging against anyone the way you seem to have when all the person did was give an honest opinion seems ungracious. But if all you did was vent here, then you're pretty much in the clear.

I have had people whose work I beta'd get very defensive and attack me personally for what was an objective, constructive criticism. That was the source of my response.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I found out the reason Melissa (from Writocracy) gave me a two-star review was A) she was pissed I didn't clutter the story with the very details I decided to apendicize, B) she got cocky because I bothered to message her back saying "I look forward to seeing what you have to say in x-weeks" and C) my story wasn't in her list of things that she was used to - apparently not many people know what third person omniscience is anymore. So that screwed me over.

No, she gave you a 2-star review because that was what, in her opinion, the book merited. Stop looking for reasons beyond the book itself.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Seriously--stop reading reviews. A bad review will ruin your day far more than a good review will make you happy. It just ain't worth it.

Reminds me of this comic from The Oatmeal:

3f39abf3-c067-44a5-a055-73a52b43b38f.png

Hope it isn't too large.

Last edited:

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
The best thing you can do is accept that there are people who will absolutely hate your book for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of your writing.

One person didn't like it. That person is allowed to simply not like it because she didn't like it. That's how this business goes. If you find it this bothersome, don't read the reviews.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
So I go my first two-star review. Can't do crap about that.

So what do I do now?

I can't exactly cry about it. :(

Move on. Get over it. Stop reading reviews if you can't handle the negative ones. Personally I like to print them out and stick them above my desk. It makes me smile. I keep hoping to get a really epic nasty one that I can quote from.

Ah. My apologies. I was under the impression there'd be a tad more information revealed in the review. Like, I'd love to know just what exactly her questions were, that way I can go back and address them. Or what style she's used to, so I know what to adhere to POV wise in the next run, etc.

The reviewer owes you nothing. They don't have to give information about their opinion. The whole nature of a review is someone commenting on how your work made them feel or think.

I'm going to call this a little bit of an update.

It doesn't matter WHY she gave you the rating she did. It was her opinion and she's entitled to it. She wasn't offering you a critique. She was reviewing a piece of work you released. That will happen. Sometimes people just won't like what you do, and honestly, it's better not to go digging, and honestly, naming reviewers on public message boards isn't terribly classy. Likewise, don't contact reviewers. It's petty and can be seen as intimidating and threatening. Don't do it. Don't respond. Ever.

I think ever responding to a poor review is a huge, huge, huge mistake. And no reviewer is ever wrong. For her, she was exactly right, and should say just what she did.

Why even read reviews? It's as pointless as screen doors in a submarine. You can win an argument about reviews, and if you believe the good ones, you're obligated to believe the bad ones.

I haven't read a review in twenty years, and haven't missed a single thing. I care what average readers say, and they always let me know. I don't give a rat's ass what any reviewer says, even if the review compares me favorably to Shakespeare.

There should be dramatic music playing when I agree with JAR. This is one of those times. He's right in all he's said.

The best thing you can do is accept that there are people who will absolutely hate your book for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of your writing.

One person didn't like it. That person is allowed to simply not like it because she didn't like it. That's how this business goes. If you find it this bothersome, don't read the reviews.

And this too.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com

You see this? This right here is not a classy response to a negative review. She owes you absolutely zilch, nothing, nada. The review is for potential readers who may or may not have similar taste to her when it comes to reading material, not for you. She isn't your beta/crit partner. Slamming the reviewer because you're still sore over it makes you look bad, not her. And honestly, her opionion about how much would have been nice to know that you just in her mind stuck in the appendix instead is a valid one. If it was a major bugbear for her than it was. To assume she wanted you to "clutter" the story, or change the names to something "normal" is disingeniunous.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
You should see some of the nasty reviews some very good and popular authors get. No one gets to be universally loved. I've read reviews for some of my favorite authors, and sometimes they leave me scratching my head. Other times I get what they're saying, though I think they're being too harsh. I have a friend who rarely gives a book more than three stars, and almost never gives a book five. He feels that five star reviews are only for life changing books, and he gives a lot of good books two stars.

I know it's easier to say this than it is to internalize it. But I don't think there's anything to be gained from engaging reviewers in the overwhelming majority of cases. They're meant for other readers, not authors anyway. The only exception might be reviews that are clearly meant to be abusive. Then it's best to report it (if such is possible) and let the folks who run the site deal with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.