Summarizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringading

Registered
Reaction score
I am learning that it is quite difficult to summarize a story in a way that is short, effective, and exciting. So please, help me out. I would also like to see some of your attempts.

I am keeping it short (book jacket short).

Here is my first attempt.

The Android world augments Amelia and the remaining survivors of the human race in an attempt to save humanity from themselves. Amelia manages to escape from the control of the computer augmentation and must learn to control and harness its power to empower herself for humankind’s last battle. She must ultimately decide if safety within the android utopia is worth the sacrifice of freedom and in the end, what it truly means to be human.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
1. you can't sub work here without 50 posts. If you don't delete it a mod will for you.....just the rules here, to avoid drive-by posters

2. What are you doing with this? You're summarizing, but to what end? As a query? Blurb? A summary? They aren't all the same thing, or condensed with the same emphasis or intent.....

Ringading

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to delete it, but apparently I don't have that permission. Maybe I read the wrong section of rules but I didn't catch that one- sorry about that.

I would like to expand this into a query (eventually) but right now it is more an exercise.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
ok, for queries then, there is a query forum here under Share Your Work.

You need 50 posts anyway, spend your time there reading stickies, following ongoing threads, and CRITIQUING. It really, really helps, and when you have your 50 posts you'll have a better idea what you really want to do.

(here's a quick hint: the general query format here, which has done very well for a lot of people, isn't exactly a direct summary in the first place.)

go check it out.

malamute

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also look at the blurbs at the back of books, get an idea from there. :) Then expand from that.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
The classical story is made up of character, setting, and plot: Somewhere, somewhen, someone struggles to get something. Struggle implies efforts despite obstacles; plot, in other word.

So start with that, Who wants what? In what arena? What stands in their way? You may or may not want to go beyond that and say how they try to navigate the obstacles. In a query letter or a SHORT blurb this is often left to the imagination of the agent or reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.