How to describe a cross-genre book in a query letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatesPast

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope this the proper place for this question. If it isn't, please feel free to move this thread.

I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on my MS. The problem, however, is I'm having an awful time trying to classify its "genre" in my query letter. Truly, it has elements of literary fiction, dark fantasy, and psychological thriller, so I have no idea how I should describe it. Thoughts on how I should proceed?

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
One of those genres will be the central one. Pick that. Any book can have elements of other genres but usually one is paramount.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Stop trying to classify it. Write the query describing the book and story. Let an agent/publisher classify it for sale.

Jeff

No, Jeff. Just...no. Agents want to know that authors have some idea what their story is. Either way, genre effects which agents someone can query. Not every agent handles all genres.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not every agent handles all genres.
If you're doing your research when querying, you're not sending queries to agents who don't handle the type of book you've written. You don't need to pin a genre on it for that to happen.

For the OP, find other books similar to yours. Look up the genre they are selling in and pitch that.

Jeff

Kris Ashton

Lurking in the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kris-ashton.wix.com
Like it or not, most editors/publishers these days want a book to to fit into a particular genre because it simplifies marketing. I agree with Buffy. Pick the genre that is most prevalent and describe it as that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What Weaselfire said. In your query, briefly describe what happens in your story. If it's a Fantasy, that ought to come across simply from your description. Ditto virtually any other genre. Let the agent interpret genre. If the book is taken on, the agent will market it to publishers according to their needs and the agent's sensibilities. I don't think you have to paste a genre label on it.

caw

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my book, which is, in equal parts, an action adventure, time travel, historical romance novel. I used a variety of query approaches and it took me a long time to find a publisher. Agents were not interested because, like me, they would find it very difficult to pitch to a publisher.

But it can be done!

Just Keep Walking

Registered
Reaction score
What titles would you see it next to in a book store? What genre are they published under? Might be a worthwhile starting point.

Last edited:

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
Where do you want to be published? A lot of literary fiction has supernatural or fantasy elements, but there are writers that do not want to be classified as genre writers.

There are overlaps in the communities, but different events structured towards SF/F, thriller, or literary. So, if the book can be fitted as any of those, decide where you want to be classified and query it that way.

FatesPast

Registered
Reaction score
Where do you want to be published? A lot of literary fiction has supernatural or fantasy elements, but there are writers that do not want to be classified as genre writers.

There are overlaps in the communities, but different events structured towards SF/F, thriller, or literary. So, if the book can be fitted as any of those, decide where you want to be classified and query it that way.

This is an interesting point, and I would like to avoid being classified as a "genre writer." Would the following description be acceptable: "FATE'S PAST is an 80,000 word literary fiction novel with dark fantasy elements"?

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting point, and I would like to avoid being classified as a "genre writer." Would the following description be acceptable: "FATE'S PAST is an 80,000 word literary fiction novel with dark fantasy elements"?

First, I'm not sure why genre writer ended up in quotes. There's nothing wrong with being a genre writer. I am one. Specifically, I am an urban fantasy writer. My MIL is a science fiction writer. I have friends that are romance writers.

However, if that's not your thing, and it seems it's not, then yes, it is better to downplay that element of this work. But, just note then you'll be a literary writer. We all end up with some kind of label, and that's okay. It's how readers find out work. :)

As far as the query, I like what you have. It addresses the fact that other elements exist while clearly identifying what you see the novel as being and what audience it is geared towards. Which is, of course, the point of identifying a genre.

FatesPast

Registered
Reaction score
First, I'm not sure why genre writer ended up in quotes. There's nothing wrong with being a genre writer. I am one. Specifically, I am an urban fantasy writer. My MIL is a science fiction writer. I have friends that are romance writers.

However, if that's not your thing, and it seems it's not, then yes, it is better to downplay that element of this work. But, just note then you'll be a literary writer. We all end up with some kind of label, and that's okay. It's how readers find out work. :)

As far as the query, I like what you have. It addresses the fact that other elements exist while clearly identifying what you see the novel as being and what audience it is geared towards. Which is, of course, the point of identifying a genre.

I'm sorry if I came off as disrespectful. I put genre writing in quotes because I was quoting your term. Truly, the only reason I am concerned is that I've outlined my second book and it has no fantasy or supernatural elements.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Truly, the only reason I am concerned is that I've outlined my second book and it has no fantasy or supernatural elements.

Then you won't want to attract readers who'll expect them to be there. Literary novel or novel of literary fiction would be fine.

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
...the only reason I am concerned is that I've outlined my second book and it has no fantasy or supernatural elements.

Just because you have written one book in a particular genre does not tie you down to writing only in that one genre. Me, personally? My scope runs fantasy, romance, thriller, western, pure literary, YA, NA, Adult, (even one children's PB), and my current WIP is pure SciFi!

It's okay to spread your literary wings, as it were, and test your writing chops in a variety of genres.

So, when you begin subbing the current work to agents, you are going to submit to those interested in Fantasy? Fine. TELL them it's a fantasy. "Fantasy elements"? How does that work exactly??? Literary does not really tell an agent much about the ms. (Although, I must admit, the concept of literary fantasy does tend to pique one's curiosity!) But, it's a fantasy, yes? That's what you've written - a fantasy.

Don't be shy about it. OWN IT! Your next is a murder mystery? A thriller? A purely literary saga? That's great. Go for it. But don't worry about being stigmatized or 'saddled' with one genre just because you wrote one book in a particular genre. Some people have a narrow comfort zone. They simply love writing one or another. Others just go where the muse leads us. There is no worry either way. Your first ms doesn't define you, it's just part of the sculpting process.

Last edited:

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the query letter is rather like a job application. Best to tailor the resume to the job for which you are curently applying, even if that means having different versions of the resume.

FatesPast

Registered
Reaction score
Just because you have written one book in a particular genre does not tie you down to writing only in that one genre. Me, personally? My scope runs fantasy, romance, thriller, western, pure literary, YA, NA, Adult, (even one children's PB), and my current WIP is pure SciFi!

It's okay to spread your literary wings, as it were, and test your writing chops in a variety of genres.

So, when you begin subbing the current work to agents, you are going to submit to those interested in Fantasy? Fine. TELL them it's a fantasy. "Fantasy elements"? How does that work exactly??? Literary does not really tell an agent much about the ms. (Although, I must admit, the concept of literary fantasy does tend to pique one's curiosity!) But, it's a fantasy, yes? That's what you've written - a fantasy.

Don't be shy about it. OWN IT! Your next is a murder mystery? A thriller? A purely literary saga? That's great. Go for it. But don't worry about being stigmatized or 'saddled' with one genre just because you wrote one book in a particular genre. Some people have a narrow comfort zone. They simply love writing one or another. Others just go where the muse leads us. There is no worry either way. Your first ms doesn't define you, it's just part of the sculpting process.

Trust me, I wish I could own it as a pure fantasy book. But, to do so would be somewhat misleading. In short, it's a book about two people who have to face and overcome manifestations of their biggest regrets--as such, much of the book has fantastical elements. As an extension, other parts have pacing akin to a thriller. The problem is that a huge part of the book deals with the characters' back stories (which establishes the bases for their regrets) and inner conflicts. So, it doesn't really fit neatly into any category.

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Trust me, I wish I could own it as a pure fantasy book. But, to do so would be somewhat misleading. In short, it's a book about two people who have to face and overcome manifestations of their biggest regrets--as such, much of the book has fantastical elements. As an extension, other parts have pacing akin to a thriller. The problem is that a huge part of the book deals with the characters' back stories (which establishes the bases for their regrets) and inner conflicts. So, it doesn't really fit neatly into any category.

What is the PRIMARY thread? That's wherein your story lies. Fantasy can have elements of a thriller, and a book that is primarily a thriller can have elements of fantasy. Romance can find itself in the middle of a crime and a crime story can have a bit of romance. Don't think too hard about where to cubbyhole your ms. Figure out where it best fits and go from there. And, if you, the author, cannot figure out what type of story it is, you surely don't want to basically toss it at an agent and say, "Hey! I wrote this book but I don't know what kind of book it is. Will you be my agent? And, oh yeh. Can you figure out what type of book it is?

That's probably not a strong pitch. Your story may have any number of different elements in it but what is the major, the most important and moving factor? Since none of us has read the ms, that is something you need to sit down and figure out for yourself. Not meaning to sound harsh but, if it's that difficult for you, that author, to figure out, it's unrealistic to expect an agent, publisher, or reader to do so.

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
Yes, as was brought out, it is absolutely critical with regard to your query letter that you know exactly what your genre is. Agents want a concrete answer, so while your story may have elements of many genres (which most great stories do) if you want to pitch it to an agent you must have one specifically in mind.

The thing with literary agents is that even though they say exactly which type of manuscripts they accept, they still get plenty that don't fit into those categories, and so you still need to let them know that you know what type of story you're pitching so that they don't automatically reject it.

Also, as was brought out, the primary story, stripped of all the details and subplots and minor characters, what genre is that? That's the genre you want to go with.

By the way, have you finished the query letter yet? If so, when you read it (or perhaps have someone else read it) what type of book does it sound like? That could be a great indicator as well.

As a side note, I have seen where authors will make a comparison (Harry Potter meets X-Men, as an example) and agents seem to accept these as well, in addition to your stating clearly the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.