The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
booze. and lots of complaining.

THIS... and I like to print mine out, put it in a pretty little binder and break out the red pen of DOOM! Then, I make notes like "more" and "how does the reader know this" etc... Mark up the pretty pages and then hit the keyboard with ideas.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Ugh, Maryn - sorry for the carpentry woes.

And Dawn, wow. I hope KT is right, that this person is just being overzealous, because otherwise, SW is clearly not living in the real world...

eta: Caleb, for the most part I would much rather be revising than writing from scratch, so I'll bow out on your q :)

Last edited:

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
Oh yeah, that's a great idea, too! I like to do that when I feel like I've nailed all of the big stuff and just need to focus on bits and pieces, so the pages aren't covered in huge paragraphs, but that's just me.

Then, you get to edit it again as you're typing it all back in.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
It isn't so much SW being in the real world, Rab, as P@ypal laid out threats last year. Prior to that, SW was pretty much uncensored....they only got rid of plagiarized material. They pay authors and publishers through P@ypal. Switching to another merchant account host takes both time and money that they weren't prepared to do last year when the P@ypal thing first came up. I don't know if they've been moving to do it, since.

But anyway, if P@ypal will cancel their account over YA content, they need to find out for sure and let authors/publishers know, and if not, then the vetter is overzealous about the content.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
MRS. B! sorry for confusion!
but HOW EXCITING!!! congrats!

thanks for clarification KT.

yummy dessert with my crit
group girl friends tonight. something
again every night thru uk flight
next monday. augh. need to think
of packing soon. probably sunday. ha

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Mrs. B!!!! Girl, we need deets!

Colby, congrats on your book launch. It is a weird feeling, isn't it? Just go with it. ;-)

Blue, welcome home! Too bad you and Rick couldn't connect in Oz.

Just back from my last book event for 2012. I did 21 events between mid September and mid December. To say I'm burned out is like saying Joan Rivers talks a lot.

In the end, I still wonder how much of it influenced sales or whether it's just a matter of continuous face time at festivals, conferences, bookstores and schools. It's hard to say NO to this kind of stuff, but man, tempting. I'm just exhausted!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, Purgs!

Blond, wow, that's a ton of events! Go you and your stamina!

And, I have a short from a certain m/m purgie to read in my inbox! :D

That's the happy news of the morning. The bad news is I just nearly gouged my right eye out with a pair of scissors. Twirling gift ribbon of all things. That would have been a terrible reason to lose an eye. Guess I should be happy that I "only" need new glasses now due to a giant scratch along my right lens... Well, I kinda need new ones anyway. But, yeah, woah.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell, Dys! That's a lucky escape!
I can't imagine whose story you might be talking about. *looks shifty* :D

Blond, I don't know how you've managed it. Now, hopefully, you can relax a little over the Christmas break.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, Dys, you are lucky. No tricks when you wrap, missy! Scissor safety.

My daughter's best friend had a similar incident with her cousin twirling a key this summer, and she is pretty much OK now but her pupil won't undilate all the way. I believe a couple Purg husbands had corneal injuries too -- serious stuff.

Blondie, it's really hard to say how much travel and events influence sales directly. You can only handsell so many, you know? But I would wager that your hard work raised your profile and helped the LA library take a close look at TEN. So it helped get you on that list, and that WILL help sales from here on out. And it will help your career long-term. Critical acclaim plus commercial appeal -- can't beat that.

Good morning to those who can bear to open their eyes.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Thanks, ladies. Yeah, it seriously scared me. Though I was all "shit, my glasses!" at first. Took a minute to sink in that I narrowly escaped wearing an eye patch. Meep. Going to see the upside in this: I needed new glasses anyway.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all. Thanks to meetings that are taking up all my time, I have a week's worth of work to do and only two days to do it. So yeah, guess who gets to work unpaid tomorrow and over the weekend.

Mrs. Brommers, congrats!!!

Dragonfly, yay for early book!

(((Maryn)))

Dawn, that's just unbelievably ridiculous. Wow. Makes note: if I self-pub my YA, don't bother with SW.

Dys, eep!

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Morning, all :)

Congrats, Mrs. B!
Lily, feel better :Hug2:
KT, yeah, I know what it's being driven by, but still. There are any number of reasons I despise the people who run Paypal - this is just one more.

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
Morning, everyone! I'm hoping I can make today into a more productive day than yesterday, where I pretty much just sat by the inbox all day. Oof!

Blondchen, that sounds like a crazy amount of events! Awesome work pushing through and getting it all done.

Dys, glad your eye survived! Way, way easier to replace the glasses. Who knew ribbons could be so dangerous!

Lily, hope you feel better! Being sick around the holidays is no fun.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
{{Lily}}

Dys - If you'd have wound up with an eye patch, we'd have had to give you a pirate name. Any preferences?

Mornin' folk.

Sitting here, staring at my inbox. *shrug*

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Dys - If you'd have wound up with an eye patch, we'd have had to give you a pirate name. Any preferences?

Haha, Supervisor Friend actually just texted me saying how an eye patch would probably just improve my coolness factor as a teacher. As it is though, my sight is already bead enough. :tongue

Hm, pirate names...surprise me? ;)

Hope the inbox-staring will soon come to an end.

Off to school in a bit to go meet and stalk, er, observe another German teacher to finish my senior project. I'm happy to get all the stuff finished this week. :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone! I have a load of wash going, two cups of coffee in me, and I can do anything! Well, at least what I have to do today.

Caleb, what I do with any writing "task" which needs doing when the allure to writing new stuff is calling is use a kitchen timer. If I revise for 30 minutes--really doing the work, not putzing around--then I can write or outline or whatever for the same amount of time. But the I-don't-wanna task has to be done first.

In reasonably small increments of time, this works for me. I also find that once I immerse myself in edits and revisions, it's nowhere as bad as it seemed when I wasn't doing it.

Blond, I don't think I've done that many social gatherings of any kind in that time-span. I'd hate having to be "on" so often, but I suppose that's all a part of good marketing. I'm hiring Remington Steele when it comes time.

Maryn, who needs to go to K-Mart and dreads it

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Going to make the phone call to fire the expensive doc at 9:30.

Then, I get to go have lunch with a friend this afternoon. Should be fun. Now, I'm diving back into the revision cave.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Dys, glad you are okay. I just scratched my cornea a long time ago and never want it to happen again. anything with eyes makes me shudder.

I couldn't sleep last night so did a goofy blog post about good cat and dog names from the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings with pictures matching characters to animals. I'm particularly pleased how Thoren Oakenshield would seem to be a good match for an Australian Shepherd name:

Names

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
G'morning, purgs! Mr. Sunna is back on the same continent, though on the other side of it at the moment. He decided to stop at a hotel instead of pushing through the 7 hour drive to his mom's to drop off his grandmother and great aunt, as it took 3 hours just to reach the LA city limits.

And woke up to snow.

*sigh*

Dys, yeek. Glad you're all right.

{{{Ink}}}

{{{Lily}}}

Blond, you've put so much time and effort in, it's really been amazing to watch.

Mrs. B!!!!! Reeppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Dys - Also, scratching an eye twirling ribbon is not the most undignified way I've ever heard of to get an eye patch. Hubby once thought it was funny when our new kitten would sit on his chest and pounce on his face... Voila, eye patch.

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning all!!!

Congrats MrsBrommers!!! Very exciting!

Okay pep talk me people. I HATE editing and revising. I love story telling and first drafts and creating worlds and all the beautiful rush of the beginning stuff but the meticulously aspect of revisions kills me. I've been chip chip chipping away at the revisions of Disappear for MONTHS.... MONTHS!!! I had to tell myself "you are not allowed to work on anything else until you finish it." So I drag my feet more.

I know a lot of you like editing and revisions and polishing but those of you that don't how do you get through it?

Heh, this is what I'm doing now. Not allowing myself to work on anything else. It is killing me.

(((Maryn)))
(((Lily))) feel better!

Blond you're amazing. If I ever get anything out into the world I'm going to come to you for self promotion tips. :)

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, cashews are great writing food for me. I just added 1,000 words in ten minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.