• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

FinePrint Literary Management

Buster

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone still waiting to hear back on manuscript requests from Brendan Deneen?

Like several other writers on this website, I'm also waiting to hear back about the MS which I sent to Brendan Deneen. It's now been several months since I sent him the full. It's hard when you don't know exactly what's going on, that is, if the MS really is in the hands of another agent at FP in their pile of unread manuscripts, waiting to be read; if it's under consideration, but just taking longer than expected to be decided upon or, if it has been deleted unread, and, in that case a rejection letter may never arrive, giving some closure.

It's a bit of a Catch-22 situation in some ways for the following reasons, as one's in a bit of a quandary as to how to approach the situation -

(1) do you contact another one of the agents at FP about the MS, as if you're starting from scratch,

(2) do you contact the agent you think most likely has it, who may have the MS under consideration, ask them if they have it and, possibly, alienate them in the process, which may make them reject you faster than if you said nothing

or

(3) do you just wait until you hear news of some sort back?

Although I'm working on another book, this is preying on my mind as it's the only full (or partial) that I have out at the moment.

Last edited:

JakeM

Registered
Reaction score
I figured my manuscript just got lost in the shuffle. But since others are waiting, just sounds like it's going to take awhile. I wouldn't worry about alienating yourself though. If you feel like contacting them to see what's up, contact them. If that's the last straw for them, probably wasn't going to work out anyway.

Brendan Deneen

Registered
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, every single book I requested was passed on to other agents at FPL. There were a bunch, that is true, so it may take some time. But knowing the FPL gang and how great they are, everyone will hear back, one way or another, eventually.

Buster

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Brendan for the update, which is very much appreciated.

JakeM

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and thanks for passing them along! Best of luck with other pursuits.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
Here, Chumplet, put this on:

(They'll never know it's you.)

I just sent Janet Reid a query for a murder mystery with a Belgian detective. If she rejects it, I might need to get one of these for my main character...

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
Regarding the partial I sent Suzie on 1/29, I received a super helpful personalized rejection where she explained the key point that lost her. When I emailed her asking, were I to revise, if she'd like to see it, she told me it wasn't quite for her.

All in all, I'm very thankful for her input, though :]

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Q: Does Stephany Evans respond to ALL queries or only the ones she's interested in?
Does she usually ask for partial or fulls? Is it helpful to include a chapter within the e-mail? Any info re: her turn-around time etc is appreciated! She seems like a great fit for my novel--thanks, all!

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent Janet Reid a query for a murder mystery with a Belgian detective. If she rejects it, I might need to get one of these for my main character...

I'll take that mustache now - a very polite and nicely worded form rejection received six days after querying.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Q: Does Stephany Evans respond to ALL queries or only the ones she's interested in?
Does she usually ask for partial or fulls? Is it helpful to include a chapter within the e-mail? Any info re: her turn-around time etc is appreciated! She seems like a great fit for my novel--thanks, all!

I e-queried her two months ago (just a query, no pages or chapters), got a full request within two days, and an offer of representation two weeks later. Our conversations went very well and I'm looking forward to working with her. Good luck!

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Scribe--good for you! What kind of book did you send?

I got a reply within a week to my mystery query and chapter but it went to SPAM and was deleted by mistake--so I have no idea if it was a pass or request? What to do without pestering her--any ideas? Should I e-mail her asst (whoever it may be)? I don't want to lose out on a possible opportunity!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I got a reply within a week to my mystery query and chapter but it went to SPAM and was deleted by mistake--so I have no idea if it was a pass or request? What to do without pestering her--any ideas? Should I e-mail her asst (whoever it may be)? I don't want to lose out on a possible opportunity!

Do you have a way to access your email through the web instead of the mail program on your computer? Sometimes deleted messages are still on the server.

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
That's what happened--I had a computer glitch so was checking messages on my server...usually there's a recycle bin. All the junk mail comes through so not sure why this went to spam. I didn't know if Evans' policy is a "no response means no"? Not sure what else to do to retrieve the e-mail, and I don't want to call. I did a follow up so let's hope they respond. Thanks for your help!

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Scribe--good for you! What kind of book did you send?

It's romance/mystery.

If Chumplet's suggestion doesn't work, I would just email back explaining the situation and asking her to please re-send her response. I had something like this happen with another agent a while back--the response came through with no text, I explained what had happened, and got a quick response (a request, by the way) and a nice apology. So I wouldn't worry about being a pest regarding email glitches. They happen to everyone.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone e-mailed Peter Rubie lately? And does he respond or is there no answer when he's not interested?

Tenacious

Registered
Reaction score
Janet Reid

Queried with mainstream/contemporary fiction 3/6, rejected 3/12

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Queried Stephany Evans last night at 8:36 PM EST, had an email request at 9:13 AM EST for a partial. Wow!!!! Color me thrilled. I can only hope she's a tenth as thrilled as me after she reads the chapters I sent her.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else have as much trouble as I do with the website? It seems like I can't click on most of their links, and sometimes I can get to agent descriptions and sometimes I can't. Right now I can't.

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone e-mailed Peter Rubie lately? And does he respond or is there no answer when he's not interested?

Had to go back into my email archives to check, lol.

8/3/09 I got a form R saying the he was too swamped with material to even consider. I know that's not super recent. Sorry!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Weird. That same day, he sent me a partial request.

HOWEVER, I sent it via snail mail, and the most form-y rejection ever was sent back to me in a matter of days, so maybe that was a mistake.

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
Weird. That same day, he sent me a partial request.

HOWEVER, I sent it via snail mail, and the most form-y rejection ever was sent back to me in a matter of days, so maybe that was a mistake.

Yeah that's really weird. However, snail queries always seemed to be looked at differently than equeries.