Advanced Reader Copies

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to get Advanced Reader Copies of my middle grade book soon. (Eeeks!) I'm planning to give them to librarians (school and public), book bloggers, and maybe a teacher or two.

What exactly should I tell people when I give them a copy? I know the purpose is to promote the book, but one of the school librarians has asked for my details on what she should and should not do with the copy, and I realized I'm not totally sure. She should not sell it; I know that. What about sharing it with students? Putting it in classrooms or the library?

I can ask my editor, too, but in the meantime I was hoping to hear some advice from authors and how they have handled ARCs. Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Speak to the publicists at your publishers and ask them what you can usefully do that they can't cover. Ask them who they've sent review copies out to, so that you don't duplicate their efforts; check with them that what you want to do won't counteract their work to publicise your book.

Has your publisher asked you for a contacts list which they can send the book out to? If so, check they've already sent copies out to everyone on that list.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Old Hack. I'll make sure to check where the publisher is sending copies before I do anything else.