A question

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know any markets as to where to send lyrics only or if they don't have that if there's a place where to get lyrics put to music? Thanks much.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know of any lyrics-only market and doubt there'd be a legit one, as there are so many lyric-only writers that ...

There are "places" to get lyrics put to music, they're all-to-easily findable on the Internet, and approximately 99.99 percent of them are scams. I don't know how to find the other 0.01 percent, or if they even exist.

I think this area has an even higher percentage of scammers than writing prose and poetry does. Here's an article:

http://business.songstuff.com/article/music_business_scams/
Conclusion The whole purpose of this article is to make one thing perfectly clear. IF your music is good enough, people will be offering you money, not asking you for it!
This sounds a whole lot like the thing we quote for authors, Yog's Law.

Regrettably, there seems to be no equivalent to the Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check subforum or Writer Beware for the music industry.

If you want, you can check out some songwriting forums, see if any have lyric-only forums and if there's anyone there willing to put lyrics to music. There's no guarantee someone will put your lyrics to a melody, but at least it won't cost you money.

Ben, who has written a song or two, but who hasn't made a penny from writing or performing music.

April Days

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Don't ever pay someone to add music to lyrics! You'll end up with something awful and a dent in your bank account.

As benbradley said, browse songwriters' forums. You can do a Google search and find a few good ones. Interact and get to know the people there. Folks collaborate all the time.

I know of one lyricist who's teamed up with various composers and has had his songs recorded by multiple artists.

Networking is key.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Does anyone know any markets as to where to send lyrics only or if they don't have that if there's a place where to get lyrics put to music? Thanks much.

Find some musicians in your area, let people know you're a lyric writer and you're looking for someone to write music. No money involved at all - musical partnerships happen frequently when like-minded writers get together to see whether they can make their songs better.

Make demos of the resulting songs, either yourself, or find some local band that might be interested in recording your music. If you're really serious about writing songs and marketing them, shop the demos to record companies.

NEVER pay anyone to write music for you. A serious musician would be looking to form a songwriting partnership.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Thx so much, guys. Really helpful advice. Being a writer for so long and not having much money, I'd never pay to be in a publication or to have my lyrics put to music. :) I'll check out everything and see if anything works out. Good luck with all your endeavors.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Find some musicians in your area, let people know you're a lyric writer and you're looking for someone to write music. No money involved at all - musical partnerships happen frequently when like-minded writers get together to see whether they can make their songs better.

Make demos of the resulting songs, either yourself, or find some local band that might be interested in recording your music. If you're really serious about writing songs and marketing them, shop the demos to record companies, and/or move to Nashville.
Yeah, that. :)