• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What reading genre is the most interesting to you and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hard SF was my first love, but the good stuff has gotten rarer and rarer over time. On the other hand, I think fantasy written for the adult reader has gotten better over time, so that's what I read now.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Hard SF was my first love, but the good stuff has gotten rarer and rarer over time. On the other hand, I think fantasy written for the adult reader has gotten better over time, so that's what I read now.

Astute comment, and I think you are basically correct. SF, especially "hard" SF, has been deep-sixed to a great degree by actual SCIENCE. Exploration of the solar system by spacecraft, and the phenomenal expansion of our knowledge of the distant cosmos through satellite and telescopic techology has rendered that sector of fiction difficult to make work. Sorry, Ray Bradbury and Edgar Rice Burroughs, but ain't nobody living on Mars or Venus.

Fantasy, on the other hand, hey, ya makes some magicky stuff happen, ya gots a story. Some pretty good writers have ventured there and done pretty good work.

caw

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy and science fiction. I like escapism.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I try to read a bit of everything nowadays, but secondary world fantasy has always been my favorite. The conflicts and characters tend to resonate with me better than stuff set in the real, modern world. From the time I was seven I've interacted with online fantasy worlds more than my meatspace peers, so in a sad way fantasy better reflects my reality. :tongue In fact, my husband and I first met in Azeroth, a continent in World of Warcraft.

I also like how fantasy, when at its best, can both provide an escape and an opportunity to explore real life ideas and controversies without being heavyhanded.

Last edited:

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
I've been stuck on fantasy for a while. I'm not as interested in contemporary or urban, but I love epic/high and secondary world fantasy.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
Crime, mystery, suspense, gothic, horror, especially with a literary bent. Historical fiction. Erotica, classic and contemporary. I also love autobiographies, biographies, and non-fiction books about history and art.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Another 'everything' reader - although I do find hard SF at the bottom of the list (mainly because of all the tech-speak I think). But I'm a 'binge reader' - I'll stick with one genre for a few weeks, then switch to some other (usually quite different) for a while. Can't seem to mix them up very often. The length of the binges probably defines my preferences, with thriller, action/adventure, and mysteries being at the very top.

JJsmiles

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy historical fiction and romance. I haven't read mystery in a long time but I have enjoyed it in the past.

Aimless Lady

Head in the Clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maggieblackbird.com
Non-fiction: Autobiographies, biographies, and books on history.
Fiction: Mystery (historical) and romance (historical or contemporary).

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Depends on where my ADD is pushing me. I'll get into a Sci-Fi kick, then suddenly I lose interest and I'm on a mystery kick, then over to fantasy, then to literature, then westerns, then back to Sci-Fi, then pulps, then thrillers, then who knows?

DocMac

Registered
Reaction score
I used to read fantasy and science fantasy only. Then I discovered paranormal romance! I've since branched out to romantic suspense and a little contemporary romance and light mystery. My job is the biggest thing that drives my reading choices. I do a lot of heavy science reading and it can be a pretty emotionally draining career. So when I get home I want something light and happy. When I pick up a romance, I know I'm going to get that happy ending.

LadyDae

New AW user. Veteran Writer 8+
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hollydae.com
Right now I'm on a YA Contemporary kick, along with some YA dystopia. People say YA's not a genre and really it's not. However, specifically in Contemporary YA, there's just something universal about reading about a teenager who thinks they have the world all figured out only to find out they don't. I think we all can relate to that and it's less taboo in YA because we expect adults to generally have things figured out, otherwise they're childish (unless it's a mystery or thriller or something). But in YA, it's okay to be confused, it's okay not to have all the answers, it's okay to have an identity crisis, and it's okay not to know where you've been and where you're going. That JMHO of course. Feel free to disagree.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
You also wanted to know why. Well, I blame John Brunner. I read his Telepathist as a child and I've been searching ever since for a book that would amaze me in the same way. Occasionally, I find one--and not always in SF, either.

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow, I have to choose? I love mystery and fantasy is very close to my heart. The Narnia books spoiled me and made me dream of other worlds, even within our own. I like Sci-fi as long as it is mixed with good characters. Too much technology will bog it down for me. And selectively romance

Lilfairy

Enjoying insanity
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to read a little of everything but I tend to gravitate towards fantasy, westerns and the odd historical romance.

I also find that if I finish reading a book with an ending that I didn't like, I'm more likely to pick up a romance afterwards.

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
For many years the genre I read almost exclusively was mystery. I loved solving puzzles. I still love a good mystery but now my reading choices are pretty eclectic and about the only genre I don't read is romance.

Squids

Battling the Sea
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy/horror. I love me some non-fiction too. Mostly historical stuff.

Kalliopaea

Kalliopaea
Registered
Reaction score
My current favorite genre is the series romance from Harlequin Presents. For now. But my bookshelves are full to overflowing with books of every genre. Horror/thriller (Stephen King), romance, suspense (John Grisham), action/adventure (including Count of Monte Cristo and Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas), classics like Rebecca and Gone with the Wind, and even nonfiction (mostly biographies of Al Capone and the Chicago Gangsters if the Roaring Twenties).

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Mainstream, contemporary and literary, because I enjoy the modern settings and issues. I don't read much genre fiction, but I have read some science fiction, mystery and romance.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I like 'em all. I'm kind of a binge reader. I read nothing but contemporary romance for a month, followed by six thrillers in a row, then two historicals, and am now on a fantasy kick. Gearing up for a non-fiction splurge.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Either true crime or autobiography. I'm much more of a non-fiction reader and always have been. These are probably my two favorites but I don't know if I have a good answer to why other than I enjoy reading them.

Darron

Always trust a geologist
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I find myself torn between fantasy and westerns.

If your viewing tastes match your reading preference then I imagine the show Firefly is right up your alley.

I'm into the fantasy stuff myself, but I prefer it to all take place on one world, and I want to know everything about it. The more details the better and that messes with my own writing. I know not to give a giant info dump, but sewing it in here and there is just so hard because I want to say, "But that's not all! ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.