Any vikings online?

Christopher Marcus

Writer of short stories 'n' stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadeofthemorningsun.com
I can't remember if I first posted something here when I joined up, but it doesn't hurt to throw more hooks into the water ...

I'm a Dane, living in Copenhagen and writing both contemporary and (starting up again) fantasy ... the latter will mostly be for YA, but that remains to be seen.

If you want to see some of my contemp-stuff you can check out one of my sites: shadeofthemorningsun.com - it's kind of moody, road-movie-ish - some of it ... but there you go.

But I'd like to stress that it's not my only interest as far as writing goeth! Aside from fantasy, as just mentioned, I do like a good scifi-yarn now and then. In fact, I'm currently working on a SF-novella, Asimov-style I guess, with a good friend. And I've written a few myself before that, for local fanzines, but more in the hard SF ball park.

Hmm ... what else? I can't think of more just now, but if there are any Absolute Writers out there who live nearby and dig the same genres I do, more or less, I'd like to hear from you.

There: Another hook ...

Best,

Chris

Reactions: llyralen

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I don't think there are any Danish threads, but there's a Norwegian one here, and a Swedish one here. ;)

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there'll be no trouble using this thread, but I thought I'd tip you about those others in case no one answered.

ClareA

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there,

I live in Dk (Jutland) and I write mostly paranormal YA/ fantasy.
It's cool you started this thread - I know there are more writers around me participating regularly in NaNoWriMo, but I don't know if they are frequenting this forum.

Hilsen :)

Clare

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
Greetings from Minnesota. I've written about travel to Copenhagen and the rest of the Continent. You can read about it here(free coupon available on request). Also, I am presently writing a story, which is kind of a satire of Scandinavian crime fiction. The story takes place on an American dairy farm. As I am still in the beginning stages, it may take awhile to finish.

Good luck with your venture into sci-fi and speculative fiction.

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
Hello mate.
I'm a Dane as well but I wouldn't call myself a Viking as much as I would call myself an Ottoman ;D You see, I'm Turkish of blood, but born and living in Fredericia, Denmark.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My parents came from Denmark. Does that count? My birth surname was later slightly anglicized, but retains the Danish meaning.

On the other hand, I haven't pillaged a settlement in, oh, I don't know how many weeks.

caw

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
According to my grandparents, I'm part viking, part Apache warrior, and part Robert the Bruce. Oh, and Grandpa was a gunner on a WWII fighter plane. Which probably explains a lot about me.

Last edited:

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Not a day goes by that I don't curse my (apparent) lack of Scandinavian heritage. From what I can tell, my mother's side is Irish pretty much all the way back and my father's is English, then Irish, then French since forever. Maybe the french could be Norman, and before that Nordic? I dunno.

Vonandi ég get vera víkingur gegnum íslensku læra

annaheyerdahl

Awesome Viking Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annaheyerdahl.blogspot.com
My parents came from Denmark. Does that count? My birth surname was later slightly anglicized, but retains the Danish meaning.

On the other hand, I haven't pillaged a settlement in, oh, I don't know how many weeks.

caw

Never pillaged? You don't know what you're missing!

I pillaged for cookies once. I was grounded for a month, but it was worth it :p

PillBlast

Registered
Reaction score
How would you define viking? I've been living in Denmark for the last years but I can't handle the wind yet, so I guess I will never be a Viking.

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Being A Finn doesn't qualify me as a viking, although a number of Finns did 'serve' in the viking raids, etc. However, the vikings were very wary of the strange folk that lived in the dark woods, beating their drums and singing to their bear god.

Dane1974

Registered
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Denmark but currently live in South Carolina. I am just starting out writing contemporary/historical mystery/crime fiction and contemporary/historical romance fiction - well, actually, I'm only in the research/plotting phase :) I have done a lot of non-fiction writing (in Danish as well) but the fiction genre is new to me.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
"Viking is a job description, not an ethnic designation".

An actual sailing looting Dane would be cool, though. The viking ship museum in Roskilde teaches sailing classes.

Just sayin'.

Matchu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drysailorboy.wordpress.com
I look like a Viking, and am thinking I am certainly one of those 10th century types you left behind, you bastards. Well it's been a thousand years and all things considered not so bad hereabouts.

I also once knew a guy called Ed who was a Viking re-enactment man. He told me that each weekend one selected Viking would eat a fly agaric mushroom whilst the other Vikings would drink his urine for their psychoactive entertainment. Meanwhile the original Viking would become dreadfully ill, but normally had recovered before the next battle.

I also spent the summer teaching little Vikings and found your Swedish and Finn littluns a most amusing crowd, and perfect representatives, lagom. I suppose a Danish friend might be my next project, I don't know.

I posted a 'Brain of Scandinavia' quiz on my blog, but so far no takers, not even one. That is very distressing for me, as you might imagine and that is why I sent my quiz to the Swedish embassy, and also the Suomi ambassador of St James.

Certainly I imagine they shall be amused by my quiz and they might possibly invite myself and the wife to their Christmas embassy party or somewhere for a bowl of princess cake and pea soup, what do you think? The deadline for your own quiz entries is December... ;)

Thank you

Mat...yes ha ha very funny, it's not funny in English.

(oh no, a string of 'I' paragraphs.)

Last edited:

The Contradiction

"Wait, why?" and "But, what if?"
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from southern Sweden! :hi: Wrong country but still Nordic, so it counts, right? :D I've actually been toying with the idea of a historical piece set in the viking age, though it's still in the brainstorming phase. It'll be research heavy, though.
Hope you get as good weather in Denmark as we've had the last few days! :Sun:

MissJones89

Writing is inevitable
Registered
Reaction score
So... Are the Danes still going strong in 2015?

I'm from Copenhagen and write because it doesn't seem like a choice - especially after reading a book. I don't really aspire to publish but I won't rule out trying to at some point. Right now I just write for selfish reasons ;)

I was wondering, do any of you write your stories in English?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
My home state of Minnesota is filled with various kinds of Scanahoovians from Swedes and Norwegians to Icelanders. Some still speak the home country language even if they are second or third generation Americans. We have Scandanavian restaurants and grocery stores to serve folks who want their fish eggs in a tube and many choices of pickled herring. Our supermarkets carry lefse.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad's from Denmark (left after the war). I know a few words, but mostly from watching a lot of subtitled Danish TV (Borgen, Bron-Broen, Forbrydelsen, Arvingerne).

I've never been there, though I've been to Europe several times. There's a good chance this summer I'll spend a few weeks just outside of Malmo. I'll certainly visit Copenhagen on weekends if that works out!

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I moved from the UK to Vikingland (Sweden) two weeks ago.

Does that count?

Last edited: