Any other sourdough owners out there?

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Just wondering who else keeps that part food, part pet that is a jar of starter. Sourdough waffles, cinnamon rolls, and sticky buns are staples in my girls' lives. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We do :) Sourdough bread is one of the pinnacles of human achievement.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have had mine since the early aughts, at least. We make pizza dough with it every Friday. It's only been tossed and restarted from "safety" crumbs twice. Once when the jar got mold in it, and once when I had it waiting it in a measuring cup while I soaked the jar, and my husband accidentally threw it away.

It's 1847 Oregon Trail sourdough ordered through Friends of Carl Griffiths.

If you ever spill sourdough on the counter and it dries, you'll understand why they used to chink log cabins with this stuff.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
My oldest kiddo does, brings it home on breaks from college. Got it from someone's grandma, told it's over 20 years old.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
My sourdough is several years old. I make homemade bread, pancakes, and pizza dough.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love the pizza dough, too. When I'm on vacation or something and don't have it with me, I end up doing a sponge the day before. There are a lot of reasons beyond flavor that's really the only way to do pizza!

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I like to get people hooked on sourdough pancakes (the safest bet, since they're easy) and then give them starter. It's like a seedbank if mine ever goes south. I've probably got a dozen offspring around town.

I've never had to use that insurance policy, but the guy who originally gave me the starter had a lengthy medical emergency, so it worked for him. :)

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It doesn't require hand-holding, but if you can get your hands on some starter I will be happy to give you my e-mail and get you through your first few feedings and diaper changes. ;) Getting your own starter going isn't hard, it's just time consuming. If you don't have friends with starter, go to the neighborhood bakery, tell them you want to try making some stuff with sourdough and ask if they'll give you a couple tablespoons. That's all it takes (2 tbsp of starter mixed with equal parts water and flour in a quart canning jar will be a quart of starter in a day just sitting on your counter).

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can buy it online as well. This is where we got ours. Since then, it's gone through a bit of manipulation, but it was terrific right from the start.

We use the 1-2-3 no-knead method. Watched it on youtube. Wonderful stuff. Yum!

Deleted member 42

I was going to start my own starter on January 1 of this year because of mccardey, Stacia Kane and Ari Meermans, but until I can reliably use my hands enough (carpal tunnel) to open the Mason jar, I'm not going to try.

But I'm reading and learning.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering who else keeps that part food, part pet that is a jar of starter. :)

Bolding mine. I LOVE that description!

If you ever spill sourdough on the counter and it dries, you'll understand why they used to chink log cabins with this stuff.

Ain't that the truth! I have a jar in my frig, although I made so many loaves up until a couple years ago I got burned out BIG TIME on the work and now rarely use it. I have to restart it whenever I do decide to use it.

Funny though, I love sourdough bread, but can't stand sourdough pancakes!

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't require hand-holding, but if you can get your hands on some starter I will be happy to give you my e-mail and get you through your first few feedings and diaper changes.

I'll be counting on you during those first nervous days! I do actually want to try this. You have inspired me to give it a try!

tricksterpython

Registered
Reaction score
I do! I love sourdough. It's taught me a lot about how bread dough functions in general too. Now I can bake without a recipe and not fear.

I recently perfected a cinnamon roll recipe using it that makes the softest cinnamon rolls. I'm still trying to figure out how to cut down times before sharing it with anybody though. As it stands now it takes 48 hours from when I first inoculate my boiled water/flour mix, till the rolls come out of the oven. Granted most of that time is waiting for the yeasty beasties to multiply sufficiently, but still. There must be a better way.

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
mmmmmm.... sourdough. Great, now i'm craving something I cant even make in this swamp state!

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
Our sourdough is approximately three years old.
It's called Karli II.
As its ancestor, Karli I., and a few unnamed predecessors, it was started from scratch. Here in Vienna, this works best in summer: sun and patience, mixed with some rye flour and water, will usually do the job in about 3 – 5 days.

Lilly

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I was going to start my own starter on January 1 of this year because of mccardey, Stacia Kane and Ari Meermans, but until I can reliably use my hands enough (carpal tunnel) to open the Mason jar, I'm not going to try.

But I'm reading and learning.

I know this is an older post, but I kept my starters in tupperware. The kind that just has a couple of tabs on the lid that you flip up to take it off? So it's easy on the hands. (And I started mine in Pyrex bowls, and kept them there for a long time.)

I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I let my starters die. I'd started storing them in the fridge so they only needed feeding once a week, and I realized that I just wasn't using them that often (I generally make my supersoft bread recipe--my family, sadly, wasn't that into the sourdough) and space was/is at a premium in our tiny fridge.

I'm considering starting another one at some point soon, because I did like having the option, but honestly, every sourdough recipe I've tried aside from breads has been fairly blech (the sourdough cinnamon recipe I tried was inedible) (I hasten to add that recipe did not come from anyone here).

Last edited:

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't thought of starter in years!!! Off to email mom and I'll probably be back! :)

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Jean-Paul died of maggots about a year ago. Ringo's been going strong since then, though. He even survived his first Passover. We made pizza just the other night.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Funny though, I love sourdough bread, but can't stand sourdough pancakes!
It could just be the specific flavour profile of your sourdough starter.

My starter is very active (it doubles or triples in a couple of hours) and has no sourness to it at all. Well, minimal. I make bread, and if there's any still around in three or four days, it starts getting a bit sour then. Prior to that, though, there is *no* sourness to it at all. I use it in chocolate cake, pancakes, whatever, and nope, no sourness.