what do you make with velveeta?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's yummy and gooey and melts smoothly. we were talking about it in the potato thread and so I thought I'd start a thread of its own.

I make a dip thing with it, usually at Christmas time. I melt it in the crock pot and keep it on low. I have to stir it every so often but it gets eaten rather quickly at parties.

Brown sausage and/or ground beef or whatever meat you want. It's good with a bit of spicy - sorry I don't know the amount. a pound of ground beef I guess.

in the mean time, cube the entire box of velveeta and put it in the crock pot.

Add a can rotel (mild or hot depending on your preference)
add a jar of salsa (again your preference)

when meat is brown drain fat and add to crock pot. Stir until all smooth and melty and yummy.

serve with chips or bread or veggies or whatever you think would be good to dip in it.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to make broccoli and cheese soup with it; it was great because it melted so consistently.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
When I was up in the U.P. With some friends, they dragged us along to somebody's kid's graduation or something like that. One of the dishes to pass was some sort of cold macaroni salad with little cubes of Velveeta in it.

It was awful, I thought. But as much as I like to use Velveeta to melt onto things (some thin slices over a burrito and it becomes the food of the gods), but cold? No thanks. My wife will just slice off a big chunk and eat it. I'll pass. Give me a real hunk of cheddar instead.

And I know box mac&cheese is frowned upon, but melt in a few large slices of Velveeta and it stops looking so dayglow orange and tastes a lot better. Add some hamburger meat into it, too, to punch it up.

And Velveeta in an omelet is so much more creamy than cheddar.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Velveeta, hot Farmer's John sausage crumbled up, and spicy Rotel tomato pieces. Serve with tortilla chips.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
this must be a very guilty pleasure
nearly no one'll admit to it here ;-)

LOL

Dunno whether anyone considers Velveeta a guilty pleasure; but when we're talkin' chocolate, guilt and I aren't even in the same dimension. just sayin'

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Saute up the ground beef
Make spaghetti
Melt velveeta
Mix in cream o' mushroom soup
Mix up all together
Remember childhood.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the classic Velveeta + Ro-Tel queso. First had it in Santa Fe back in the early '80s and was amazed when the person who brought it to the party told me it had just two ingredients: one can of Ro-Tel per pound of Velveeta.

The meat/sausage version is good, too, but sometimes I just want the original.

Tip for those who turn up their noses at Velveeta: a small amount of processed cheese--whether a chunk of Velveeta, a few spoonfuls of Cheez-Whiz, or a slice or two of Kraft Singles--will keep your otherwise made with organic heirloom craft cheeses mac 'n' cheese from separating or getting grainy. All the taste of the fancy cheese, and silky smooth to boot.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
POTATO-CHEESE SOUP

8 cups of water
1 heaping teaspoon of Butter Buds
7 cubes of chicken bouillon
24 oz peeled, diced potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup celery
1 cup onions
3/4 pound of velveeta light (cubed)
dash of pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add bouillon and butter buds. Stir to dissolve. Add all veggies and simmer for approx 1 hour (or until veggies are tender.) *Note, I usually put in carrots, celery and onions first as the potatoes seem to take less time to get tender.

Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Be very careful about this step. Make sure you take the pot off the burner and onto a cool one before you stir in cheese, or the cheese may curdle.

The soup comes out pretty thin, so if you want to coat veggies in flour or cornstarch before you add them, that's one option. I enjoy it thin.

Low cal, too, if you use the 2%. I made it a lot on Weight Watchers. But, I don't tell people that.

If you want to make it "richer," cut up some sausage pieces, fry them, and add them in.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing.

But, as an aside, for what it's worth, I did see a cooking show with Bobby Flay being challenged in Philadelphia to a cheese steak sandwich cook-off. He got real fancy-like with exotic cheese and stuff. And got beat by the judges scores by a woman famous there for her cheese steak subs. The cheese she uses?

Squirtable Cheez Wiz.

caw

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I've been thinking about using some Velveeta lately.

I'm really a proponent of using real cheese (especially when it comes to sandwiches for lunch and stuff); for melty stuff like y'all describe, is Velveeta any better?

I love cooking with the crock pot, so I've thought of making some macaroni and cheese, maybe with chunks of baked boneless chicken breast?

Though I'm not adverse to trying out the ground beef idea, especially with some french bread -- so thanks for that!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did anyone know they started marketing Velveeta SHREDS? Yes! All the goodness of the block Velveeta but pre-shred in a bag in the refrigerated section.

Which is great because you can't shred Velveeta (maybe if you freeze it?) because it is so soft to begin with.
... Cheez Wiz ...

Now Cheez-Whiz is disgusting. Not sure what that is or what its supposed to be, but it tastes nothing like cheese and mostly like whiz. That, and those pressurized cans of cheese substance. Awful stuff. If anyone thinks Velveeta is similar to those other cheese products, they couldn't be further off the mark.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it is better but when I am putting together a Christmas party and making a lot of food, I don't want to stop to make cheese sauce, and the velveeta with rotel is GOOOOOOOD.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It used to come in a wooden box:

Velveeta-Box-1.jpg

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really a proponent of using real cheese (especially when it comes to sandwiches for lunch and stuff); for melty stuff like y'all describe, is Velveeta any better?

I usually use real cheese for most purposes, but Velveeta does in fact melt better for things like dips. For example, when you try to melt real cheddar by itself it doesn't stay smooth but breaks & separates into oil & lumps -- that's why adding it to a white sauce is standard in mac-and-cheese recipes, as opposed to using just cheese. Similarly with dishes like fondue and Welsh rabbit -- you have to add things to the cheese to get a good texture in the melt. With Velveeta, the processing prevents the breakdown so you get just smooth melty goodness without extra steps required.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the velveeta/rotel dip. I also have used it in meatloaf. Press half your meat mixture into the bottom of the loaf pan, make about a half inch layer of velveeta, put in the rest of the meat. Bake as usual. I think I got that idea from my mother.

MM

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
There's some glop that my mother made--as a child I turned my nose up. Now, I almost can't wait for Winter so I can have a good excuse to make it. (I have no idea what it was actually called, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 'glop'.) :)

S & P, browned hamburger, sauteed onion, Rotel tomatoes, Reame's frozen egg noodles, and as much Velveeta as you like. Cheesy, spicy, filling soup.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I nearly forgot. There was a Jello recipe that my Grandmother liked to make.

Lemon jello, pineapple, small cubes of Velveeta, marshmallows and walnuts. There may have been some whipped cream too...what she had in the pantry determined the end result.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot one too. We used to use it for bait when trout fishing. The little devils loved it.

MM

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My mother-in-law substitutes Velveeta for ricotta cheese in her lasagna. Don't know the exact recipe. I will say, the Velveeta has a much more pronounced taste than ricotta does. Some might say overpowering, but I like it. And since my wife hates ricotta, its about the only time we get to have homemade lasagna.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Homemade Mac & Cheese. I make a standard bechamel sauce with sharp cheddar or smoked gouda, or often a combination of 4-5 scraps of cheese that I happen to have on hand, but I replace about 1/4 of my cheese with Velveeta. I found that if I add that little bit into the sauce, it is smoother than if I use all "real" cheese. If I don't add the Velveeta, my kids always complain that the sauce is grainy.