• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I'm looking for a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for word for when a person stands near something and it fires (like a cannon) and you feel the pressure from the shot in your chest that pounding from sound in your chest.

What is a word for that?

Or like when a high caliber weapon is fired and you feel the pressure from the shot in your chest.

I'll put the work in SYW (sci fi) if it will help you at all.

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Thud. Booming thud. Or the suggestions above. It might be more than a single word and one that succinctly describes the sensation. I reckon a short description might be better than a single word.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
What is happening, I call "overpressure." It could be called whatever works. Pressure recoil. Sympathetic compression. Backblast.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Repercussion?

Jolt??

Buffet???

:Shrug:

:e2bummed:

:chair

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I vote reverberate. That's the word my mind immediately went to while reading your description.

I don't think reverberate works at all. Reverberate means a lasting effect, a noise or activity that continues.

That sudden shock from a cannon, doesn't last, it's an almost instantaneous shock wave. In know from firing and being around cannons and other firearms, and from standing in the wrong spot when someone else was firing them, that, technically, the shock wave is blast overpressure, but when it hits something, or someone, it affects, damages, or even kills, by concussion.

What a person feels is concussion caused by blast overpressure.

TZScribbles

Registered
Reaction score
Shock wave, pressure wave, detonation wave. You can see it travel out from a bomb blast faster than the expanding gasses of the explosion itself.

When a bullet hits flesh at high speed it creates hydrostatic shock (shock through liquid) that punches a big hole in the meat and slams the nervous system. A shock wave hitting a body could have a hydrostatic effect on the nervous system.

Wikipedia has some terms under shock wave that may help.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, vote for concussion, as the force that causes the effect is referred to as a concussion blast.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Recoil for a rifle butt hitting you in the chest or shoulder.Sometimes also called "kick."

Blast, concussion, percussion, recoil, shock wave, compression wave etc. for the force that radiates away from an explosion.

Btw, with large explosions, these can actually kill people or animals. When that fertilizer plant blew up in West, Texas, I remember reading about this. It's called barotrauma in modern medical terminology, but I don't think they'd use that term in a world that's still fighting with cannons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.