• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Cheap, Professional Front Cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
You might take a look in the self pubbing forum, if this doesn't get moved there. And maybe the Art & Design forum.

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a cheap, professionally designed book cover. Something simple black and quite simple. Can anyone advise where I can get one done and the typical cost?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007538030/?tag=absowrit-21

I'm a graphic designer and I would be happy to consider designing something for you, pretty much pro bono (well, very much). If you suddenly make it rich, then you might consider paying something, but I'd be happy to just give it a go and just have a credit as designer in the publication.

If you're interested, PM me and we can talk details.

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score
You can try this forum or you can try places like fiverr or 99designs if you want to interact with a designer. For a DIY approach, you can use free software like GIMP to make something.

Just be careful when you make contact with a designer. Read their terms carefully and see how many mockups and revisions they are willing to do for you. Also, make sure you have full ownership of the final design.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Here in Tucson, we have a glut of artists, and the street price for original cover art is $100-$200, depending on the complexity.

I'd take Jack up on his offer, but work out terms in advance. Your book may never make ten dollars, or it may make $100s of $1000s of dollars, and handshakes rarely survive the larger numbers.

This is pretty good, considering that in the bad old days of offset publishing, I paid $2000 to an artist for a really good cover for my wife's history book. The terms included: a set of idea sketches, three detailed sketches on the theme we selected, and the completed cover art in the software format required by the book manufacturer. Them was the days.

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I found a couple very nice covers using iStock photography. They also have illustrations and if you can find one that fits your book, they're only $10 per download and you have unlimited rights for e-books and rights that cover something like the first tens of thousands of physical books as well.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
My cover designer is EXCELLENT, exceedingly professional, and has premades for as low as $45:

http://najlaqamberdesigns.com/

The series you linked, by the way, has covers that are neither simple nor cheap. I guarantee you thousands of dollars went into the look and feel of those covers.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap, professionally designed book cover.
Did you write a cheap book? Do you really feel your book isn't worthy of publication so any cover you slap on is okay? At what point does "cheap" ever go with "professional" in the same sentence?

There are cheap covers. There are professional covers. But you get what you pay for.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.