• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katalyst

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to buy the best pen known to man.

It must: Work well, look beautiful, feel nice in my hand and be available online.

Who better to ask the opinions of than the most helpful writers I know?

:)

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
THESE BABIES. Trust me, they are AMAZING. Got through so many essay exams all throughout high school AND college with nary a hand cramp. Every time I've had to loan someone a pen, they're all, "Damn, that's a nice pen," and I'm all, "I KNOW." They're all I buy and I will never use anything else.

precise-v5.jpg

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Fountain pen, or its cousin the quill? disposable ink-pack mechanical pen??

"Best pen" is entirely subjective. Having tried many, I came to prefer the cheapest pen known to man, the BIC Stic (medium point, blue), which I get for about 10 cents apiece in a pack of 20 at any store that carries school supplies.

I developed this strong preference many years B.C. (Before Computers) when I spent 6 months, 8 hours a day, writing data on file cards, and went through about 300 pens.

I happen to like a certain amount of tactile drag, yet not too much (fine points drag more to achieve the same ink on the page). The pens are easy to hold and have no protrusions that distract my fingers. Blue ink doesn't fade like black ink does. The results look consistent. If one misbehaves it can be stimulated by a few seconds over a flaming match. If it dies prematurely it's only ten cents lost, not a fortune.

Conversely I use an antique mechanical pencil that's at least 80 years old, for pretty much the same reasons (and it takes cheap bulk leads). If I had to buy another, it would be quite expensive as they're now collector items.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
True re: subjective - characteristics of the pens I posted:
-fine point
-**really easy ink flow/you don't have to press down** (this is the big livesafer for those essay exams)
-I never have to scribble to get them to work
-the black pens are BLACK BLACK
-convenient little window for viewing how much ink is left in the pen

Katalyst

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I should be more specific.

I like a good ball point and I prefer something with a bit of weight to it. Alas, I am after a range of opinions maybe someone will suggest something opposite and ill fall in love with a new style of pen.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the ones I like (which are "rolling ball"point) come in this model too re: the weight
31Np4vmJ6DL.jpg

The ink flow is IMO the best thing about it but I imagine it might annoy SOMEONE - it's liberal (like I said, not having to press down to write = hnnnghh heaven) and good for "connecty" writing - cursive or, like I write, script that ends up looking sort of 70% cursive anyway :p - and art. I LOVE drawing with those pens. The ink takes a second to dry though, it will smear if you write something and then put your hand over it.

Probably not good for lefties. :p

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Ah, I should be more specific.

I like a good ball point and I prefer something with a bit of weight to it. Alas, I am after a range of opinions maybe someone will suggest something opposite and ill fall in love with a new style of pen.

I've seen a pen with a large nut (as in what goes with a bolt) taped to it so the nut fit the pen like a donut, because the user wished to have weight and a lump to grip beyond what could be bought off the shelf. A cheap and easy solution.

Argh, the white medical adhesive tape, I can't think what it's called, THAT kind of tape.

Myself, I don't like the ink to flow too easily, as I wind up with blots and lumps.

'Course, I have a severe case of degenerative handwriting disorder...

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I use a nice shaeffer fountain pen that my parents got me when I graduated the first time. It was part of a set with a ball point (refillable). Beautiful silver set. But stupidly expensive. You can pick up the fountain pen for about £300 on it's own.

But when I'm writing a lot I tend to use either my digital pen or a mechanical pencil.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I like the Staples Optiflow pens, but they're hard to find these days. (I always look for archival ink - the stuff that won't fade - which unfortunately rules out the cheapest options. But, then, I usually use pens for doodling/drawing, not writing...)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The best I've ever found, by far, is a Pilot, Dr. Grip SE. Believe me, that make other ball points look like cheap crap. They have weight, feel, durability, and perfect comfort. They're also gel pens.

These are the top of the line Pilot pens, but still cost very little. Around eight bucks, on average, but they'll last forever. You can also get a matching mechanical pencil.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like to write with a caligraphy wide nib fountain pen. It's not an expensive one or anything, probably cost a couple of quid, as I've had it since I was in school - it's cheap plastic with a clear barrel so I can see when the ink cartridge is running low. I just love writing with it. Not only does my handwriting look all elegant and uniform (I think something about the angle I have to hold it at and the extra care I take makes me write neater) but because it forces me to write slower it also helps me think and make fewer mistakes.

For scruffy get-it-down-any-old-how writing, I just use a bic fine.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like to write with a caligraphy wide nib fountain pen. It's not an expensive one or anything, probably cost a couple of quid, as I've had it since I was in school - it's cheap plastic with a clear barrel so I can see when the ink cartridge is running low. I just love writing with it. Not only does my handwriting look all elegant and uniform (I think something about the angle I have to hold it at and the extra care I take makes me write neater) but because it forces me to write slower it also helps me think and make fewer mistakes.

For scruffy get-it-down-any-old-how writing, I just use a bic fine.

I prefer fountain pens and dip pens, too, but the OP specified a ball point type pen, so. . .

I also love writing with a glass dip pen, and these, too, are pretty cheap. Steel nib dip pens are even cheaper.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
The best I've ever found, by far, is a Pilot, Dr. Grip SE. Believe me, that make other ball points look like cheap crap. They have weight, feel, durability, and perfect comfort. They're also gel pens.

These are the top of the line Pilot pens, but still cost very little. Around eight bucks, on average, but they'll last forever. You can also get a matching mechanical pencil.

I'll second the Dr. Grip pen. I love these pens and use them for work. But since they cost more than standard pens and I work for local government I pay for them myself, rather than expect the taxpayers to support my pen-snobbery.

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
My personal favourite pens are the TWSBI Mini and the TWSBI 580, both demonstrator fountain pens, with my favourite inks: De Atramentis Pigeon Blue, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa, or Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. If you want to try a fountain pen, then the Pilot Metropolitan is a brilliant starting point with a very low cost of entry. For ballpoints, perhaps look at the Karas Kustoms pens that take ballpoint refills? The Bolt, the Render K and the Retrakt are all wonderful-looking pens that have received a lot of good reviews. My current favourite non-fountain pen to use is the Hi Tec C Coleto Multi Pen, which is brilliant for drafting, editing, and note-taking at the same time! The refills are lovely as well.

It might be a bit of a time-sink, but I'd also recommend having a look around Jetpens. You might find something you like the look of there. :)

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I assume if you were left-handed you'd have said, but just for clarification's sake, are you a righty?

Parker pens are nice and not *too* expensive.

It's so individual though - I'd go to a stationary or art store that has a good range of serious pens and try a bunch.

Last edited:

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to like pens that also have a stylus tip since I often have a tablet with me. Many of these come in heavy weight.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of silly, but I like writing in really bright colors like hot pink. I write a lot in public places with my family around so it makes it too hard for them to read :p

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I *love* the Pilot G2 gel pens. I buy them in a multitude of colors so I can organize my notes at a glance. (Mostly I use the purple. I love purple...)

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Hate to hijack the thread, but are these pens great for 'lefties' too?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I *love* the Pilot G2 gel pens. I buy them in a multitude of colors so I can organize my notes at a glance. (Mostly I use the purple. I love purple...)

The nice thing about the Dr. Grip pens is that they can use the same refills as the G2 pens. You get the G2 gel with the weight, feel, and durability of a full size, well-built pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.