• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Talbot Fortune Agency

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Aeneas. I'll let you know what happens.

And here's the best of luck to you, too.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I queried John Talbot last year and he requested a partial from me. He still had the partial four months later when I received an offer of representation. I emailed him to let him know the situation. He emailed back about a half hour later, saying he he couldn't pursue my project since he was stretched to the limit with existing clients, and wished me luck with my new agent.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
At least he didn't turn nasty and accuse you of wasting his time.

Politeness and professionalism go hand in hand, so top marks John Talbot.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
John Talbot- Talbot Agency

Any thoughts..

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
The John Talbot Agency

It has a $ by it in the P & E site... its listed as John Talbot Agency, The $...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just as an FYI (and for the sake of the search engine) - The John Talbot Agency, Inc. became The Talbot Fortune Agency, LLC in 2005.

Bourgeois Nerd

The writer around the corner
Registered
Reaction score
I checked their website and noticed that they publish books with Christian themes. Which is fine, except, well two of my book's characters have some nasty things to say about Christianity. So I guess that means I won't be querying this agency.

I wouldn't want to piss them off and offend their religious sensibilities. That and it just indicates that my book just wouldn't be for them. No passionate interest or some such. I've been widening my query field lately but I decided to pass on this one.

Just letting people know in case your book has anything anti-Christianity in it at all.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mr. Talbot requested my full manuscript three days after I queried. He wrote a nice personal message. I really appreciate such responsiveness from agents. I have several other requests for fulls out there. So, the plot thickens. . .

KSM

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Bourgeois Nerd -- seems like we may have some things in common. My novels also kinda-sorta slam Christianity too. I wound up querying Talbot Fortune agency anyway though because Gail Fortune reps Dorothea Benton Frank, whose novel Full of Grace is about a Catholic girl at odds with her family because of her atheist boyfriend. Not sure if that's who you were speaking of or not, but I didn't take it that the agency was pro-religion per se. Thought I'd give them a shot.

Seems no one wants to touch the anti-Christianity thing, especially from a first time novelist. You having any luck?

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Christian themes? The rejection I recently received from JOhn Talbot suggested that editors would deem my story of rape and murder "quiet" and that it would, therefore, be difficult to sell in the current market.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I thought the last two posts were interesting since you guys can't seem to find people to take on an Anti-Christian message while I can't get someone to take on a Christian message. :)

Plus most Christian agents want you to be published already before they take you on, or they want you to have gone to a Writers Conference.

I guess we're damned it we do and damned if we don't!!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Just a note: My novel isn't anti-Christian at all. But it definitely does not have a Christian theme. Juneluv12, Have you tried Chip Gregory?

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything about yours. :)

Yeah, Chip gave me this nice reply:

Thanks, but I'm going to decline the chance to represent this one. This lousy economy has made it exceedingly tough to launch any new novelists, so we're waiting a while before we add anyone on the fiction side.

I'm doing really well with my YA novel right now, but my heart really lies with the adult literary novel that does have a strong Christian theme, but at the same time, Chapter 3 opens in a Whorehouse, there's lynching, prejuidice, murder,...some really heavy handed themes that probably some Christian agents will shy away from while at the same time just the mention of any "christian" themes sends secular agents running for the hills!

KSM

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Gail Fortune with John Talbot's agency gave me a pass. It was a quick, personalized rejection, though.

Angkor, I'm sure you'll have better luck.

Juneluv12, I find your post interesting as well, since I find the reverse to be true: I thought Christian themed books were a niche market in demand right now, whereas my type of book no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole! Goes to show that trends come and go and who knows what's gonna be "hot" at any given time?

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My book is a political thriller - no Christian theme in it. In fact, the old "Legion of Decency" of the Catholic church would've added my book to their banned list, I'm sure.

My review of the Talbot-Fortune Agency's books turns up an eclectic line-up of NF and fiction, the latter heavy on mysteries and technothrillers.

loriwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Gail on 6/17 with my medieval time travel romance and got a full request at 11PM that night. The lady works some late hours.

Chuck Jones

Runs With Scissors
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed John Talbot despite the suggestions on this board that the gay/lesbian themes in my writing might automatically mean a rejection. I don't think this is true though, if you look through the books that he has represented in the past, many of them have anti- mainstream Christianity themes to them.

Anyhow.... amazingly quick response. He sent me a rejection next day. It was a one like thanks but no thanks, but it was typed personally (I could tell from the typo :) ) and not just a form rejection.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow the personal touch -- even if it's only a typo -- really makes a difference, doesn't it?

Chuck Jones

Runs With Scissors
Registered
Reaction score
Strangely enough, yes.

I never thought I would be so happy to say "An agent just rejected me in person, and used really bad grammar to do it!!"

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I decided to query these folks, despite the "we endeavor to reply to all" meaning, if QueryTracker is to be believed, that they don't reply at all to 63% of queries. I'd prefer not querying folks who don't respond unless they're asking for more, but that would rule out half the good agents out there. So I snarl, and send the query.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I can testify that they respond to some of their e-queries at least. Sent the query Sunday night 9/13, checked the computer early in the a.m. (PDT) on Monday and there in the in-box was a rejection from John Talbot. So, no complaints about Mr. Talbot's responsiveness from me.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I emailed John Talbot despite the suggestions on this board that the gay/lesbian themes in my writing might automatically mean a rejection. I don't think this is true though, if you look through the books that he has represented in the past, many of them have anti- mainstream Christianity themes to them.

Anyhow.... amazingly quick response. He sent me a rejection next day. It was a one like thanks but no thanks, but it was typed personally (I could tell from the typo :) ) and not just a form rejection.

I'm pretty sure John Talbot wouldn't turn away a good story, no matter the theme. He's a straight-up, hockey-dad sort of guy. Just my two cents after having a chance to spend some time chatting with him...

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Got a rejection from my e-query this AM. Fast and polite, which is always nice!