• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Sterling Lord Literistic

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
She requested my full after I queried her on a referral. She was very nice but ended up passing after only a couple of weeks. I believe she's moving to becoming an agent, and she's had a couple of YA sales and a historical romance sale.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
She requested my full after I queried her on a referral. She was very nice but ended up passing after only a couple of weeks. I believe she's moving to becoming an agent, and she's had a couple of YA sales and a historical romance sale.

Thanks, Jen. I appreciate the update. :) I'll be sure and let you know if I hear anything back from her.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Good luck! She's probably looking to add to her own list, and she seemed very nice, prompt and professional. So, I think you'd be in good hands.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone tried to access www.sll.com/recently?

I can't access anything after hitting "enter", whether I try to access via Google or Agent Query. The fault may lie with my PC, but I don't think so.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
You need to click on the graphic. At least that's what worked for me.

Do you have a pop-up blocker enabled? All of the content is displayed in a pop-up window, with the main page in the background. If you still can't get anywhere, try this. That's the page that opens once you click on the graphic.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Julie. Nothing worked until I clicked on Sterling Lord. It took me here: http://www.sll.com/agents_lord.html

From there I could access a few other pages, but nothing seems to work as it normally did. Maybe they're updating.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Seems to work for me. You might try clearing your browser cache and see if that makes a difference.

churchillgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Should have checked here first for how to proceed. Ms. Posner has asked for 1st three chaps. Exclusive. Sent them and asked her turnaround time. No answer. I'd rather not give more than a month. Would it be bad form to drop her an email two weeks in, asking for an update and notifying her that I would give her an additional two weeks to review the requested material on an exclusive basis and that after that time the exclusive would no longer apply but that I would make no commitments without contacting her first?

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Welcome Churchill girl!

Under the category Live and Learn: In a perfect world, you would have clarified how long she wanted the exclusive for before you sent it out, but since she didn't reply, I guess that your solution is really your only viable option.

Under the category Personal Experience: In July, Ms. Posner requested my manuscript and got back to me 8 days later with a pass, so I doubt you'll have to wait too long for a reply.

Good luck!

SiverMask

Registered
Reaction score
Does Nikki de van car always ask immediately for Full? I e-queried and she asked me for a full...I thought most ask for partials...

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
I think she always asks for a full. That's what she asked for from me. I received my rejection within two weeks, so she's quick.

Reaction score
I dunno, man. Sometimes I just want to commit genocide. Sterling Lord is so legit they can afford to be snooty, yet they’re connected with this win-a-contract (courtesy of Stijn) http://bookclub.meetup.com/315/board...thread=3441331 (for only $39.95, campers!), featuring a page containing prose wizardry such as:

There you will meet world class writers from each genre, mingle with the publishers and introduce your book to them. Richard wants to help others achieve what he has and is setting up this practical how to "workshop" where you will learn how and meet the people who can make it happen.

and

Sterling Lord is YOUR AGENT and its purpose is to protect your interest not BookWise and not theirs. You are giving up no rights by participating in this contest. It is Richard Paul Evans desire to protect the new author and ensure that they are NOT taken advantage of. the Authorwise course provides guidance to the writers and the contest winner is designed to protect the winner from be taken advantage of.

[sic]

Am I missing something (be gentle), or is this more of the same pablum I’ve come to expect from our beloved typical agency?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Harris, your link didn't work. Can you post it again?

I seriously doubt that Sterling Lord is in any way connected with multi-level marketing scheme BookWise (which anyway is now defunct).

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's a contest from August '07: http://www.meetup.com/HoustonMontroseGreatBooks/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3441331

The first prize winner will receive:
$1000
An all expense paid trip to New York City (not such a deal :)
A contract with a literary agent from the prestigious firm of Sterling Lord Literistic, Inc.
Your Book Published and Distributed through BookWise
A BookWise feature author interview which will expose your work to thousands of interested readers.
ETA: 'Twas mentioned in passing back in post #11, FWIW.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Wow. I've been following BookWise pretty closely, but that got right past me. Looks as if the contest was intended to promote AuthorWise, which looks to be the predecessor of WriteWise, BW's vanity publishing program.

I can't find any information to suggest that the contest actually occurred.

- Victoria

Reaction score
Sorry; thought it was a current contest. But my objection stands. Why don’t legits monitor their mold growth? Is there no one else alert to poor grammar in the “literate” world? It’s analagous to a respected church hooking up with money lenders. Well, maybe not to everybody. But there’re red flags all over the virtual place. Oughta be some kinda Writer Beware or Worst List for agencies and houses incapable of stringing together quality prose. Or maybe not. But definitely so. Okay. I’ll sit down now.

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
I'm exceedingly anal about submitting to make sure I get everything right. I queried (with synopsis and 1st 3 as per the Sterling Lord Submission guidelines on their web page) Nikki Van De Car at Sterling Lord and my package was returned to me as "Attempted, Not Know".

I've checked and I have the name and address and everything right... does anyone know if she's even still there?

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm exceedingly anal about submitting to make sure I get everything right. I queried (with synopsis and 1st 3 as per the Sterling Lord Submission guidelines on their web page) Nikki Van De Car at Sterling Lord and my package was returned to me as "Attempted, Not Know".

I've checked and I have the name and address and everything right... does anyone know if she's even still there?

Michele, I don't see her name on their web site, nor is it included in the agency's listing in the 2009 Guide to Literary Agents.