5 gallons concord
5 gallons nigra started on concord skins to make a blush
1 gallon hard apple-raspberry cider
1 gallon hard apple cider

my liver is at the gym, getting in shape for the coming winter

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Those wines sound lovely, quicklime. I hadn't heard of crabapple before, but now I want to make some. I was just talking with Dad about cleaning out all of the bottles so that we can empty some carboys. We've got wines from 2007 or so back there, and no room for the new wines we want to make (dandelion, potentially raspberry, chocolate port (this last one from a kit) and mead).

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Leftover mac and cheese (from a box), warmed up with some extra butter and some half & half added for extra liquid, plus some bacon and chopped green onion.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Cream of potato soup with Wife Bread.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
"Wife Bread" is I-am-typing-on-my-tablet shorthand for "homemade bread baked by my Wife". Yuuuuuummmmmm.

Tonight is something with pork. Probably pulled pork sandwiches on Wife Buns. :tongue

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
:roll:

I'd pictured it as a rustic loaf made with cracked rye and dark beer. (Which sounds good, actually. I need to make some bread.)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spaghetti & Meatballs, Steamed Broccoli and Cheesy-Garlic Bread. :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
The lentil soup I made the other day didn't cook the way it should have. Nine hours in the slow cooker on low, and the lentils were barely soft and the sliced carrots still had a crunch to them. So--I kept the soup in the slow cooker until 9 that night, then refrigerated it. (I have to check the temp of the cooker.)

Long story short--Lentil soup tonight. Maybe I'll make a honey whole wheat bread to go with it.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Some lentils and many beans don't do well in the slow cooker. They need to be boiled first and then added to a slow cooker if you want to do that.

My poor Dad tried making navy bean soup like Mom's soon after their divorce. He cooked it in the crock pot like she always did but didn't realize about the boiling ahead of time. >ewww<

He's now a fantastic cook, but back then--yowch.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I've been cooking soups with beans, lentil soup, split pea soup, in the slow cooker over the past six years, following the recipes exactly, and they usually turn out great. I think it's my slow cooker dying. I have to gauge its temp on low and high settings. I'll be doing that soon. (Procrastination is usually not my name but....)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you just get a batch of beans/peas/lentils that won't cook. Fossil beans - they look like the real thing, but they're rock and they stay rock no matter how long you cook them. If you haven't been having problems with your slow cooker already, don't jump to assume it's the cooker's fault. It may just be bad beans. If the same thing happens repeatedly and it's not just the same set of beans going in at different times, then you have a problem.

For the record, I've also made beans in my slow cooker for years without any problem, and I sometimes pre-soak them, but never pre-boil them.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken Wonderfulness and toasted Wife Bread.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Cod steamed in clam broth, coconut aminos, sesame oil, ginger, cumin, Chinese five spice powder, fresh ginger, mirin, hoisin sauce lime juice & lime zest.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I faked up a dish with chicken thighs, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, white wine, and fresh basil. I served it with angel hair pasta, and it was quite good.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I faked up a dish with chicken thighs, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, white wine, and fresh basil. I served it with angel hair pasta, and it was quite good.

Sounds like a real dish to me, not fake at all!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Sounds like a real dish to me, not fake at all!

It was real! :D I just mean that I didn't pull it out of a recipe book -- I just took what was in the fridge and turned it into something. I love cooking like that.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Currently roasting a pork belly right now. I've got applesauce and Thai cucumber pickle chilling in the fridge (both homemade) to go with it.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
We went to Carrabas for Italian tonight. World Pasta Day. If it isn't already a Feast Day for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it ought to be. ULTRAGOTHA Apple Crisp and ice cream for a much later dessert.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to bake a Cornish hen with mushrooms, but when I got home from work that just seemed like too much effort, so... leftover pizza. (White ricotta za with eggplant. The first half was very good last night.)

Tomorrow... baked baby chicken with mushrooms. For reals.