Putting a query letter in in the run up to christmas?

Writer_

Registered
Reaction score
My work is almost ready to put in to the agents. But I know most establishments kind of shut down a bit in the run up to X-mas, apart from bars. Everyone's a bit liquored up and getting ready for parties etc.

I know it takes about 5-8 weeks before they get round to dealing with a query, which would put mine at about 15th December.

Is this a bad idea. Should I wait till the new year?

Thanks.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
If your ms is ready, I wouldn't wait till January, unless you wanted to revise again. You can't assume agents/publishers don't work during the holiday season. It's not like the whole writing industry shuts down because of the holidays. There's still days between that where agents/publishers do in fact work. Your response times might be slower. But an agent that may be looking for a ms just like yours now, might not be looking for something like that months down the road.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Just like pretty much every non-retail/non-hospitality/non-food business, most agencies are closed (or might as well be) between about December 20 to January 3 or so.

So what? Dude it's only October. Business does not grind to a halt three months in advance of the winter holiday. :)

You get in line, agents respond to the line in the order received, and it takes as long as it takes. You'll probably have an answer before Christmas if you get in line now. If you wait until after Christmas... you'll have an answer in late winter or early spring of 2015. Your choice.

For the record: I've had offers from publishers on dates like 12/23, 12/27 and 1/2... so some people are working! And I've offered representation to somebody on Christmas Eve.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Also, don't bank on that 5-8 weeks timeline. Several people on this board (and elsewhere) have gotten responses in under 20 minutes, with full requests coming inside a day. You never when an agent will open his/her email queue.

Speaking from personal experience, I had an agent send a request because my query happened to pop into her email as she was sitting down for lunch. You can't plan for things like that.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Alternatively, your query may sit in line for 6 months or longer for some agents. Why start your entry into that line later than you have to, if you're ready to query now?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No matter what happens because of the holidays, you'll still be read much faster than all those who wait and submit in January.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with the others. We can't know what any individual agent or editor is doing and all waiting does is ensure a later place in line. I hear the advice now and then to not submit over the holidays just because things slow down for the holidays. I figure it must come from someone who doesn't understand how it works. Btw, good luck!

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Ooh, I've got a question kind of along the lines of this one. I've heard you should avoid sending queries in December because agents will be wary of unedited Nanos. I mean, the work should speak for itself, but is there any truth to that?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just make sure that you're not turning in an unedited NaNo and you should be fine. Agents will be able to tell if what you've submitted has been worked on or not, so if you have a submission ready to go in December, then I'd say send it out.