What are you reading?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It was so good, I didn't cook, didn't eat, didn't work, didn't even log into AW, for 18 hours. ;)

Dang, she can write. I loved the ending, though I'd heard it was not universally appreciated. It made me LOL.

I want to read that book so much. I heard it was so good. :D

----

Currently reading Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

It was great! (And I loved the ending.)

I finished, and loved, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This isn't my usual genre, so I was surprised how much I loved it.

Also read This Beautiful Life by Helen Schulman and while it was okay, I hated the ending. Really hated it.

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson, The Chicago Manual of Style, and, of course, my own work in progress.

The first I'm enjoying, but it feels a little like Elantris, his first novel. The second is weak on plot and characterization. The third is full of typos and the plot is utterly predicable.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
How are you liking it (or not liking it, I suppose)? I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I apologize for missing your post, Todd. A Thousand Splendid Suns is an amazing book and completely different than The Kite Runner. I found no sympathetic characters in TKR, but I did in this one. The ending is bittersweet and not completely the way you want it to end, but it is a satisfying ending in that it's the only logical one. I've been recommending it to everyone I can buttonhole.

I've just finished Half-Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan. It was the Winner of the Scotiabank Giller Prize; a Man Booker Prize Finalist 2011; the Winner of the 2012 Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize; the Winner of the 2012 Anisfield-Wolf Book Award; and, was Shortlisted for the Governor General’s Literary Award for Fiction. (And, that's just a partial list!)

I began recommending it, too, today. This is a book well deserving of every accolade it has received.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll love it! Well, I think you will. :D

I like her writing so much that I just finished up Sharp Objects, and I'm starting on Dark Places now. By the time I finish, hopefully, I'll have had my fill of psycho thrillers....

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
King of Ithaca [Glyn Iliffe], not the best written novel, but the use of mythology has me hooked.

The Roman Conquest of Scotland [James E Fraser]

Rubicon [Tom Holland.]

Ergodic Mage

Neophyte Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading David Weber's Safehold series in anticipation of Midst Toil and Tribulation.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hellbound by JJ Attanasio (sp?) (One of The Crow series)

Rather, I stopped reading at chapter 4. My gag reflex had been telling me to stop reading after chapter 2, but my brain must have been feeling perverse.

Perverse... now that's a good adjective for this book. Also disgusting, shock-for-shock's-sake, poorly written, filled with cliches, and vile. The best part of the book? The prologue. He introduced 2 pre-teens in a scary situation, gave us a plot point, Chekhov's gun, and captured my interest.

Then apparently he moved into a active landfill next to an abbatoir and a XXX movie theater that also sold drugs and sex slaves, and became so enamoured of the smells, sounds, and sights that he just KNEW it all had to be in his book!!11!!1!

Disclaimer: I have no idea who the author is or where he lives. But I'm not making any of that book description up.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
Well, I finished reading Alive in Necropolis by Doug Dorst and was in fact disappointed by the ending, just like I thought I'd be. Oh well. It was still a good read and I was glad Mercer didn't end up with what's-her-face but still, I guess I wanted him to be with someone by the end of the darn thing (with his original girlfriend, that is) and he wasn't so yeah...

Now I'm reading the Death Works Omnibus by Trent Jamieson which contains three novels - Death Most Definite, Managing Death, and The Business of Death. I'm only in the first book, but I'm nearly done with it. It's a fast and entertaining read so far. I love that Steven (the MC) defends the grunge movement! lol And I love that he refuses to download music and instead still buys CD's, as I do that, too.

My favorite line out of the book so far?

"I don't want to have to fight you," I say, mainly because I don't want to have to fight him.

I cracked up at that one.

Forlorn-ember

Returning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Currently re-reading the Wheel of Time series for the 4th time in a decade, it's seriously awesome :).
I'm on the look out for another fantasy series I like just as much but it's proving difficult.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Swept Off Her Feet by Hester Browne. Chick lit, and much better than the average fare.