Small presses versus large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think small presses might be more likely to take on a contemporary novel, or do small presses tend to be even more genre specialized than the big houses?

Is there also any truth to the idea that a small press might be more willing to take on something unconventional?

I can see it both ways: large presses might take more risks as their other high-selling titles cover the loss, while a small press needs to focus only on the sure winners. However, a small press doesn't get as many queries and therefore a new (but good) writer might have a better chance of standing out.

All I have on this is my imagination. Anyone have any direct experience with this?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
This is just guesswork on my part, but I would guess the slushpile is smaller at a small press. The majority of the "wannabes" would send their malformed manuscripts to the big six or to the big agents.

Conversely, maybe it would also mean that the best writers go to the big six and the big agents. I don't know - I'm just speculating. Which could mean that if a good writer sent a good manuscript to a smaller slushpile... it would have a better chance of being noticed.

One would have to think that a small press would have less market reach, and less resources to spend, too.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Small presses invest more in an author and are much more critical of the authors they do have. They cannot afford to lose much money on an author because a lot of their yearly outlay goes to the books they are doing that year. It takes much longer to be published by a small press because they often have a backlog. If anything goes wrong with the company like it goes out of business because one of their titles sunk them, you are SOL.

AlekT

Alexander
Registered
Reaction score
Each novel presents a unique situation.

I don't feel it's really a matter of whether or not you want to publish with a 'bit house' or a small-press publisher. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm aware of several authors who publish with both big houses and small publishers (James Sallis for one).

Take a look at small-press websites and see what each is publishing. Most state very specifically what they're looking for. The novel must be a 'good fit' for both the author and the publisher.

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think small presses might be more likely to take on a contemporary novel, or do small presses tend to be even more genre specialized than the big houses?

Is there also any truth to the idea that a small press might be more willing to take on something unconventional?

I sent my novel to a number of agents and got rejected, generally on the grounds that they felt the genre I wrote in was dead. However, I then sent it to one small/midlist publisher and they asked for a full.

Judging by that I'd say that smaller publishers are more willing to take a look at something a little off the beaten track. They're still looking at it, so I can't give you any personal anecdotes about acceptance rates.

Last edited:

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
As an author of a small press who's rubbed shoulder's with other small presses, I realized that most small presses have a certain specific taste in what they are willing to publish. I believe you send out your work to everyone - wait till you get responses. Then you decide what's best based on the offers your get.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that clears that up.

Mine was "small presses" Hers was "small press author mills." Totally different. A small press puts out, perhaps 4-5 titles per year. They cannot futz around with something they think will not sell. Author mills don't care-- and I would think of them as vanity presses. I think that the last 2 Pulitzers have been won by small press authors. I think the thing you need to look at when you choose to go with a small press is their connection with large bookstores. Whether they have a contract with large box bookstores where your work will be displayed to real shoppers. People looking for books usually do not buy by the press. I frankly do not care if Poseidon Press or Simon and Shuster published the book, but if it does not get into book stores, you don't have a chance.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The thing is when people ask about "small presses" it is not clear what they mean. Both use similar language to describe themselves and what they offer. And there are large output amll epublishers that are not really mills. And to sow further confusion, romance readers often do buy by the press--which is one reason Harlequin does so well but also applies to Aspen mountain Press and other small outfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.