XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I understand your delima Junely. My White Crow novel is set in Boston, of which I know nothing about. Of course it was research that made me go there, I would have much rather placed it in Atlanta but I'm not sure the Irish mob has much of a pressence there. :)

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Ah.

Well then.

crap
There is, of course, an unofficial competition to come up with new quotes every time. You knew that right? :p

Morning all.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

i know a few of you participated in the SHock Totem contest, so do you want reminders when it comes around again? I <3 that group. Even Gio, who tries to suck the blood out of the stragglers. I think I escaped with most of my blood volume again. She must be slacking lol

What is this Shock Totem of which you speak? *haz a curious*

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
There is, of course, an unofficial competition to come up with new quotes every time. You knew that right? :p

What is this Shock Totem of which you speak? *haz a curious*

ShockTotem forum

Shock Totem publication

It's a horror/dark fantasy small press, with a forum. bi-monthly they have a flash contest (next will be in March) where they show you a prompt and you have a week to write a story (1000 words or less) based on that prompt. January's prompt was the Island of Dolls down in mexico.
We had 31 participants this time. After the week is over, you have 3 weeks to read, comment (optional) and vote on the stories. Who ever wins gets a chance at being published in Shock Totem :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug: TJ.

June, that sounds fun.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
ShockTotem forum

Shock Totem publication

It's a horror/dark fantasy small press, with a forum. bi-monthly they have a flash contest (next will be in March) where they show you a prompt and you have a week to write a story (1000 words or less) based on that prompt. January's prompt was the Island of Dolls down in mexico.
We had 31 participants this time. After the week is over, you have 3 weeks to read, comment (optional) and vote on the stories. Who ever wins gets a chance at being published in Shock Totem :D
Oooooohhhh....

I don't suppose dark SF features in this anywhere?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't suppose dark SF features in this anywhere?

Ditto. Seems a lot of competitions recently center either around YA, Romance, or dark stuff.

What about us Pollyanna-Cyborg-Western-Steampunk-Dystopian-Trope/Cliche writers, huh? When is it our turn?!

*shakes fist at sky*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. Seems a lot of competitions recently center either around YA, Romance, or dark stuff.

What about us Pollyanna-Cyborg-Western-Steampunk-Dystopian-Trope/Cliche writers, huh? When is it our turn?!

*shakes fist at sky*

Joss Whedon got there first. Sorry about your luck.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Crap.

Welp, if anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner, kicking the shattered remains of my dream to write.

Awwwww, poor CM. Here's a :Hug2: for you. Or would you prefer a nice, fresh :e2moon:?

I'd offer you a :censored but my husband would object. Not to mention your wife. Besides, I think Hills covered that pretty thoroughly the other day.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awwwww, poor CM. Here's a :Hug2: for you. Or would you prefer a nice, fresh :e2moon:?

I'd offer you a :censored but my husband would object. Not to mention your wife. Besides, I think Hills covered that pretty thoroughly the other day.

Uh, the butt-waggle works just fine. Thank you.

:D

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Dark SF? That tears it, Psycho. I gotta read some of your work. Share, won''t you?

SHARE! Don't make me sic the hillbillies on you!
LOL, I don't actually have any dark SF on tap, as it were. Shall I write you one? A nice, dark, creepy SF short? :D

Crap.

Welp, if anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner, kicking the shattered remains of my dream to write.
D'aaawwwww Cobra don't feel bad. Your dreams live, I tell you. THEY LIVE!!

Er, in a totally non-creepy way, of course.

aaaaand I just realised it's nearly 5pm. Woohoo!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Itty bitty multiquote went up the waterspout

Good morning. 'Tis Monday.

Tense work environment is tense. We would all like some answers.

:Hug2:

still hoping it works out for the best TJ!

No. What did they say?

Maybe it's just you. Have you been a bad cobra, CM?

I got the G00dreads email. Basically, they're not relying on Amaz0n data anymore. Apparently they're a bit squirrelly about how their data is used?

Okay, that settles it.

I knew I wanted my new story to be set in a tiny town somewhere in Pennsylvania (why PA? :Shrug: I don't know. My imagination sometimes makes these decisions without bothering to inform the rest of me). Problem: I don't know from PA. I've been to Pittsburgh once, for less than 48 hours.

So I go surfing, trying to pick a location. I stumble across Butler County, which I recognize as the annual location of Pennsic. But I've never been to Pennsic (camping with 10K strangers pushes all my phobia buttons), so I am hesitant to explore it further.

THEN! I discover that Night of the Living Dead was shot there. That decided it for me. If a county is willing to host the original zombie invasion, that's good enough for me!

*cough* I live in Pittsburgh. I am also 40 minutes from Pennsic. (Come up for AEthelmearc War Practice! It's smaller. Also, you can just come for the day. Same place as Pennsic.)

Anyway, shoot me questions, if you want.

I understand your delima Junely. My White Crow novel is set in Boston, of which I know nothing about. Of course it was research that made me go there, I would have much rather placed it in Atlanta but I'm not sure the Irish mob has much of a pressence there. :)

I'm trying to figure out how not to set a book in NYC. Eventually, the characters will settle in New Hope, PA, but there's one book that's going to have to take place in NYC. I've been there, but not enough to have all the details I need.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I don't actually have any dark SF on tap, as it were. Shall I write you one? A nice, dark, creepy SF short? :D

yes, please! With really scary bits in it, cooler than demons bursting out of dead bodies?

me want! me want!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*cough* I live in Pittsburgh. I am also 40 minutes from Pennsic. (Come up for AEthelmearc War Practice! It's smaller. Also, you can just come for the day. Same place as Pennsic.)

Anyway, shoot me questions, if you want.

The one time I went to Pittsburgh, it was to Silent Herald Coronation. I ended up tailgating feast. on the King's tailgate. At his invitation. Even though I had seating at High Table. It was a thing. a very weird thing. (it was also Rurik, which may explain a few things)

And YES, i'll definitely shoot questions your direction, when the time comes.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I really can't wait for the cord for my sun room heater to come in. It's so freaking drafty downstairs and I know my gas bill's gonna be through the roof.

And today, the little boy cat was limping. I think it's just arthritis, since it goes away when he moves around and he's his normal jump and run self. He's 12+, so it's time.

But I hate it that my kitties are getting old. I don't want them to get old.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Something about Amaz0n rights and "saving" editions on my bookshelf.

Goodreads previously used Amazon's ASIN number to pull the publisher information, cover art, etc. to their site. They had, as far as I can tell, a rather informal arrangement about it and Amazon told them to stop doing it eff 1/30 I think or...or else, I guess.

To "save" a book, you'll beed the publisher's information such as ISBN, publisher name, etc, and I guess you should be able to select a book with a warning banner and insert that information. You can get all that information from inside a book, or probably the publisher's website. Heck, it might even all be on Amazon. Not sure how you can upload the cover unless you have the image saved somewhere.

From what I understand, all rating and review information will be saved, but it may not display if the book information hasn't been "saved".

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goodreads previously used Amazon's ASIN number to pull the publisher information, cover art, etc. to their site. They had, as far as I can tell, a rather informal arrangement about it and Amazon told them to stop doing it eff 1/30 I think or...or else, I guess.

To "save" a book, you'll beed the publisher's information such as ISBN, publisher name, etc, and I guess you should be able to select a book with a warning banner and insert that information. You can get all that information from inside a book, or probably the publisher's website. Heck, it might even all be on Amazon. Not sure how you can upload the cover unless you have the image saved somewhere.

From what I understand, all rating and review information will be saved, but it may not display if the book information hasn't been "saved".

That made way more sense than the e-mail.

Much obliged, ma'am.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
good morning all...

I completely wasted the entire weekend. I started to edit on Friday, did very little but read back over some stuff... and then I just read. I had a terrible time sleeping all weekend, but managed to get somewhat decent hours of sleep last night.

I also found some books that I was too cheap to buy available as ebooks on my library website. It's just a matter of waiting for them to become available. It looks like the waiting list is fairly short tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.