S.T. Literary Agency / Stylus Literary Agency

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Byte, the peeps in these parts do some really good work helping authors who have been scammed and preventing others from being scammed. Please do not detract from that with juvenile antics.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
And here's Rev. Billy Crone, who ST Literary Agency was claiming as one of their success stories, suddenly turning up (same book -- to a startup LDS publisher that may not even pay an advance) at Christian Literary Agency.

Good call, Dave.

Same address as Children's Literary Agency and Stylus Literary Agency, at a mail forwarding service in New York City.

Let's see: ST Literary Agency had Paul Anderson.
Stylus Literary Agency has Dario Castagno.
Children's Literary Agency has Peter Parente.

Will Rev. Billy Crone be Christian Literary Agency's poster boy?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
From Publisher's Marketplace:

Book to Film Agent Needed
posted: 25 Apr 2005
s.gif
s.gif
Offered by:
The Literary Agency Group
s.gif
s.gif
Salary:
$40k plus bonuses for success
s.gif
s.gif
Benefits:
Flexible hours
s.gif
s.gif
Duration:
Willing to work with the right applicant
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Requirements:
If you have any referenceable success in selling options for book to film deals then we have an immediate need for you. We offer flexible hours, you can be anywhere in the USA. We have a 'ready to go' group of authors awaiting your services. We are open to full or part time situations. Please reply via email only.
s.gif
s.gif
About Our
Company:
The Literary Agency group is an emerging powerhouse in the Agency field.
s.gif
s.gif
Robert West
s.gif
s.gif
E-mail:
[email protected]
s.gif
s.gif
Address:
275 Madison Ave, 4th Floor NY, NY 10016
s.gif
s.gif
Phone:
866-876-4488
s.gif
s.gif
Fax:
917-591-1916
s.gif
s.gif
Special
Instructions:
You must have at least a few referenceable deals.
s.gif
s.gif

Job #
s.gif

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
From Publisher's Lunch:

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Robert West
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
years 7+
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

ST Literary Agency specialized in working with previously unpublished authors. We work with both book and screenplay writers in all genres. We are aggressive users of technology and work with writers from all over the world using the Internet. We are not into self-publishing and we do not charge reading fees.

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
GENRES & SPECIALTIES

s.gif
General fiction
Mystery
Romance
Fantasy/science fiction
Juvenile fiction
Reference
Biography
Computers/technology
Business/investing/finance
History

Religious
Mind/body/spirit
Health
Travel
Lifestyle
Cookbooks
Children's books
Sports
African-American
Science

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

LEADING CLIENTS

s.gif

Paul Anderson, Denise Becker, Michele Campanelli...

s.gif

BEST-KNOWN PROJECTS

s.gif

Forthcoming

s.gif

MOST RECENT SALES/FORTHCOMING BOOKS

s.gif

Forthcoming

s.gif

MOST RECENT RIGHTS SALES

s.gif

Forthcoming

s.gif

OTHER LEADING RIGHTS OFFERINGS

s.gif

We are currently packaging for China.

s.gif

KEY PERSONNEL

s.gif

Robert Fletcher, [email protected], President
Administration - [email protected]

s.gif

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

s.gif

Submit via email only to [email protected]

================

Includes a photo of Boppin' Bobby "Boo Hoo Hoo, I'll Sue!" Fletcher.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Paul Anderson and Michele Campanelli have been discussed fully upthread. Short version: Not too impressive.

Denise Becker (author of Shades of Brown) was being mentioned by Boppin' Bobby over a year ago as one of his successful clients. That book (from Love Spectrum) came out in 2003. Ms. Becker doen't seem to have anything else out. Love Spectrum is an imprint of Genesis Press, which doesn't require an agent.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
Okay, some interesting news is emerging. Besides changing its name, Stylus is a part of The Literary Agency Group. This parent unit also owns The Christian Literary Agency at URL http://www.christianliterary.com/index.html. This particular agency also operates a publicity service.
*snort* Why am I not surprised?

Aascher585

Registered
Reaction score
Atlanta Nights: Masterwork of the New Century

James D. Macdonald said:
You read the whole thing? I'm in awe!

I don't get it. I read large chunks of Atlanta Nights and thought that it was more than great, it was a kind of masterpiece of perfect squalor, in the tradition of Ionesco's Bald Soprano and the soup can Marilyn Monroes of Warhol. I mean, it says so much about the time and place and, you know, how we live today and where we're headed. The only way that this kind of unconscious but profoundly great work can happen is when you try to do something precisely wrong, and end up exploding the very uh confines of the art form you think you're sending up.
And, and - you think that Publish America, in all its own subconscious hugeness of soul, didn't somehow, on some level, comprehend and appreciate that? How petty. How small-minded.
If concentrating on mediocrity and screwing up is what it takes to reach the beyond-Everest pinnacle of art - throw out those novel-writing grammatical handbooks and GO FOR IT!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aascher585 said:
And, and - you think that Publish America, in all its own subconscious hugeness of soul, didn't somehow, on some level, comprehend and appreciate that? How petty. How small-minded.

In that case they made a mistake when they withdrew the acceptance. Either they were wrong to accept, or they were wrong to rescind. I'll take it either way.

You might be amused by this: http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003418.html

=====================

On topic:

Christian Literary Agency
Stylus Literary Agency
ST Literary Agency
Children's Literary Agency
Robert Fletcher

scam fraud swindle

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
James D. Macdonald said:
On topic:

Stylus Literary Agency
ST Literary Agency
Robert Fletcher

scam fraud swindle

What frosts me is the first listing. As a Christian, I'm offended (and yes, in today's politically-correct world, I know that's not allowed).

Screw it, I'm still offended. Just another trap to lure the unwary Christian scribe, who hopes his words will help someone else. Boppin' Bobby will have a lot to answer for, comes the day...

John (who's running out of cheeks to turn)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just now visited 275 Madison Avenue, New York, NY.

ST Literary Agency
Stylus Literary Agency
New York Literary Agency

Are not in that building.

I had a nice chat with the security guard in the lobby. We went over the typed tenant list, the one with the ball-point annotations on the bottom for recent changes. Nothing.

Those agencies, wherever they may be located, aren't at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10016.

866-876-4488

Fee, Fi, Foe, Flop,
I smell a mail forwarding drop.

bunco, cahoots, complicity, con game, connivance, conspiracy, craft, deceit, diddling, dodge, double-cross, fast shuffle, flam, flimflam, fraudulent artifice, graft, guilt, guiltiness, gyp, intrigue, plot, racket, scam, scheme, shell game, skin game, skunk, sting, trick, whitewash, bilker, bunco, cheater, clip artist, con man, crook, deceiver, fleecer, flimflammer, fraud, hoser, hustler, mountebank, scam artist, scammer, shark, sharpie, smoothie, swindler.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Did you sign a contract with them? What are the specifics the contract calls for?

Chesher Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshercat.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Add one more new agency name to the nest that Stylus belongs to: The New York Literary Agency at URL http://www.newyorkliteraryagency.com/.

Interesting that they ask for submittals instead of submissions.

Dictionary.com:
sub·mit
v. sub·mit·ted, sub·mit·ting, sub·mits
v. tr.
sub·mit
prime.gif
tal
(-m
ibreve.gif
t
prime.gif
l) n.
  1. To yield or surrender (oneself) to the will or authority of another.

Also, pretty tacky that The Literary Agency Group picked a name so close to The Literary Group who are a respected agency that reps authors that sell books.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tricked? said:
Gees guys,
I just signed up ST/Stylus. Now I think I am screwed!

Did you pay them any money?

If so, yes, you're screwed. If not, just don't pay them and you aren't screwed.

Actually, ask for your money back with a copy to the BBB and the FTC.

Q. Won't that blacken my name in the industry?

A. Don't worry about it. They don't know anyone in the industry.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A Robert Fletcher Contract

• Greetings and Congratulations!

• The Children’s Literary Agency, Inc. is prepared to offer you a contract for acceptance as our client for Agency Representation based on:

1. [*]the manuscript you submitted,

[*]the informational that you have provided to us and the plan of action that we agreed upon.

• In the sole opinion of the Literary Agency, if any of these items are inaccurate or misleading this contract may be withdrawn at any time. This contract offer is good for 14 business days from receipt. (This deadline can be automatically extended by 10 days if you contact us via email and request an extension).

• Some authors ask “why did you accept me?” Because you have agreed to follow a plan of action that will lead to your work being of the highest quality, we believe that our odds for success are greatly enhanced. In short, we believe that we can sell your work. We never promise a sale, but we do believe you have a solid chance of success.

• We look forward to working with you. Congratulations again.

• Best regards,

• The New Author Team
    The Children’s Literary Agency

AGREEMENT FOR LITERARY AGENT REPRESENTATION
CHILDREN’S LITERARY AGENCY:
Page 1/3 of Contract

This “Agreement” is between ______________________________ [the “Writer/Producer”] and The Children’s Literary Agency, Inc. [The “Agent”] as of _____________, 200__ for only the work entitled:

Other Works Should Be Submitted Separately.

The copyright and ownership is specifically retained by the author for this work and all author’s works submitted to, and accepted by, the Agent.

The Writer warrants that he is the sole and exclusive owner of the Work and that the work does not infringe on any other copyright. The Writer agrees to indemnify Agent against any judgments, liabilities, damages or loss related to copyright or ownership.

The term of this contract shall be two years from the above date and must be renewed in writing for each successive term. The Writer/Producer may terminate this Agreement after 90 consecutive days of no sale by Agent. Renewals and terminations via email are deemed acceptable.

The rights granted in this contract in exchange for good and valuable consideration, pertain to written creative work prepared by the Writer/Producer for print, television, radio and motion pictures to be sold in the geography of the United States of America.

The Agent may not have any conflicts of interest with regard to any specific contract or employment negotiated under this Agreement. If any such conflict arises, he must relinquish his commission.

The Agent is entitled to a fifteen percent [15%] commission on gross compensation accruing to the Writer/Producer from any contract negotiated under this Agreement. This paragraph shall survive termination of this Agreement. (This means that if we find you a buyer, you can’t fire us and take away our commission).

The Agent is not responsible for damage or loss or return of any material.

The Writer/Producer shall do his utmost to finish his work on time as per the terms of contracts he has entered into. The Agent at his discretion may use the Writer/Producer’s name or pen name and the name of the work in promotions for the Agent and to promote the Work.

The Writer/Producer also agrees that all leads, contacts, communications, documents, emails, forms, and business processes employed by the Agent are considered confidential and

Page 2/3 of Contract

trade secrets and as such shall not be disseminated in any form or format without the express written permission of the Agent. This clause survives termination of the Agreement.

The Writer/Producer will supply the Agent with an electronic version of their creative work in a common word processing format (rtf, doc, pdf) for the Agent to submit the work to potential clients.

Both parties will make themselves available to each other within reason for any purpose outlined in this Agreement. Both parties agree that any disputes will be settled in the County of New York, governed by the laws of the State of New York.

This Agreement is binding on the Writer/Producer and Agent and their respective heirs and assigns. However in the event of a sale, insolvency or other change in the ownership or operation of The Children’s Literary Agency, Inc., the Writer at his sole discretion may choose to terminate this Agreement on 90 days notice. In the event of a termination both parties agree to not disparage the other party in any form.

In the event that this Agreement is terminated for any reason, the Agent, his heirs and/or assigns may continue to collect all commissions due on existing contracts negotiated under this Agreement. If an existing contract between the Writer/Producer and any client is renewed, the Writer’s Agent/heirs and or assigns may collect commissions on renewals until the existing contract with that client is terminated.

This is the entire agreement. All changes shall require signatures of both parties.

WRITER/PRODUCER HAS THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THIS CONTRACT WITHOUT QUESTION, WITHOUT RECOURSE, FOR 72 HOURS AFTER MAILING.

The Author may specifically EXCLUDE a contact that you have already made who might sell or buy your work write them in here, up to a maximum of 3. If a sale occurs to, or through, any of the following people or companies the Agent is NOT entitled to a commission. (In other words, if we don’t find the buyer, we don’t deserve a commission. You will find that we are very straightforward in our business dealings.)

1 ________________________________________________________

2 ________________________________________________________

3 ________________________________________________________

Page 3/3 of Contract

Self-Published authors please note: Your existing contract must give you the right to cancel or must clearly state that you maintain all rights. If you are in doubt please check with your attorney or forward us your contract for review.

THE WRITER/PRODUCER ALSO ACKNOWLEDGES THAT AT NO TIME AND IN NO FORM HAS AGENT GUARANTEED THAT A SALE WILL BE MADE. _______ Writer Initial here.

I HEREBY CERTIFY THAT I AM OLDER THAN 18 YEARS OF AGE. _______ Initial here. If you are not over 18, please have a parent or guardian execute the contract.

The Children’s Literary Agency, Inc. Writer/Producer

_____________________ ____________________________
President

• Address: ____________________________
City/State/Zip: ____________________________

Phone: ____________________________

• Email: _______________________________________________________

PLEASE BE SURE YOUR EMAIL IS LEGIBLE!

• Pay particular attention to 1,l,0,O,2,Z, etc.…

1) PLEASE FAX THIS PAGE, THE SIGNATURE PAGE, TO 917-591-1916. (If you don’t have access to a fax, you can simply email this back to us with your info typed in.)

2) PLEASE MAIL TWO SIGNED COPIES OF THIS CONTRACT TO:

• The Children’s Literary Agency

• Contract Administration Department

275 Madison Ave. 4th Floor

• New York, NYH 10016

Please allow approximately 30 days for the return of your signed copy.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Denise Becker (author of Shades of Brown) was being mentioned by Boppin' Bobby over a year ago as one of his successful clients. That book (from Love Spectrum) came out in 2003. Ms. Becker doen't seem to have anything else out. Love Spectrum is an imprint of Genesis Press, which doesn't require an agent.
I heard from Ms. Becker some time ago, with a question about another agent. I asked her if ST had sold her book to Genesis. She told me no; she submitted and sold the book herself, and ST took the credit because it was repping her at the time.

So, as with Dario Argento, ST is stretching the truth just a tad when it claims the sale. Any bets on Pastor Crone and Mapletree?

- Victoria