writing shy MCs

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
So I've written a few MG novels now, and all of them involve a confident and ballsy MC. They're not confident in an obnoxious way (I hope...) but in the sense that they are confident talking to adults, are pretty self sufficient, and are not afraid to speak their minds.

The new novel I'm writing has a MC who is shy, reserved and sometimes anxious. I think characters like this are really important, but since I haven't written from such a character's perspective before I want to make sure she doesn't come across as boring or a wallflower. Any tips on how to achieve this? She is very thoughtful, and has a strong sense of right and wrong. Also, although she gets anxious, I'm making sure she is proactive in the story and doesn't just let things happen to her.

Also, can anyone recommend great MG fiction with a shy MC?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love shy MCs! :) The important thing to remember is that just because they are outwardly shy, doesn't mean they're not passionate about things. They can still care deeply about stuff and have exciting adventures, they just express themselves differently.

I see Matilda as somewhat shy. Tiffany Aching of the Discworld books isn't shy per se, but she is quiet and thoughtful. Also check out Maurice and His Educated Rodents. The main kid is a shy, soft-spoken boy. Nathaniel from the Bartimaeus trilogy is mostly an introvert. He's certainly quite bad with people. All these characters are shy and often doubt themselves, but they are no less interesting to read about and I lovelovelove them.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The main character in Bridge to Terabithia is shy. Peter Hatcher in Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing is on the shy side two.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Putputt and Debbie V :) I particularly like the example of Matilda - a quiet girl with exceptional abilities. Kind of what I'm going for with my character!

Claudine Gueh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carryusoffbooks.com
I love shy (or quiet or even sometimes timid) MCs. Perhaps they aren't very shy. Just that they don't feel extremely confident about themselves.

The books that come to mind are Sharon Creech's Heartbeat, Joan Bauer's Almost Home, Uri Orlev's The Song of the Whales and Heather Frederick's Absolutely Truly. (I don't remember if Creech's Walk Two Moons had a shy MC, but I know I liked that story and protagonist a lot!)

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Write it in first person. The reader will know what the main character is thinking. Shy doesn't mean boring. I was shy as I a kid but just because I didn't say anything doesn't mean I wasn't thinking it.

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Write it in first person. The reader will know what the main character is thinking. Shy doesn't mean boring. I was shy as I a kid but just because I didn't say anything doesn't mean I wasn't thinking it.

This.

I wrote a shy MC for Stonebird, and internal dialogue was so important.