Dual POV in middle grade

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm outlining my next middle grade novel and there are two main characters--a brother and sister (same age, not twins, one was adopted). Each has a significant character arc and their personalities are a humorous contrast, so I'd really like to do dual POV, each in first person, with chapter breaks to indicate whose head we're in.

Does anyone have any examples of MG books with dual POVs I can check out? I know Wonder has multiple first person POVs, and the Lemonade Wars has both the brother and sister's perspectives, though that one is in 3rd person. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy) is told in alternating POVs: in first from one character and in third from a second character.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
The Kane Chronicles trilogy by Rick Riordan has dual POV-- brother and sister, too! Also a big contrast in their voices-- they were raised separately and in different countries, so they have a different "accent" as well as a different 1st person voice.

They are really fun books. First one is The Red Pyramid. Check it out!

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The one I just sold has dual POV (3rd limited, so not quiet 1st but pretty close) and while that's of no use to you right now I'm happy to chat about it with you and maybe we can help each other out (I have at least 2 more books in this series to write with the same thing and I found it quite a challenge).

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Great suggestions! Thanks, everyone! My weekly library haul is all lined up. :)

Toothpaste, I would love to hear about your challenges in writing dual POV. I figured there was a reason it was so seldomly done. ;)

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
The Wanderer by Sharon Creech is also dual POV. I think it's probably really challenging to get the different voices and tones right, but there are also a lot of benefits. In The Wanderer, it allows you to see what each character is leaving out of the story. Best of luck!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well I also wrote my YA with three POVs (again third limited) and I think the challenge for me is making sure that each character gets equal air time, if that makes sense. It almost becomes like a math equation, trying to keep track who's POV we've spent more time in and who's we need to beef up.

But the hardest thing I've found is when the characters are in the same scene. How do you decide which POV is the right one? I've actually had to re-write scenes and change the POV because it ended up not being right. So I guess any advice I can offer is don't be too married to the POV you choose in the moment, and be willing to be flexible. I know my own stubbornness has held my writing back before :) .

What about you? What challenges are you facing?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
But the hardest thing I've found is when the characters are in the same scene. How do you decide which POV is the right one?

I write some YA with alternate POVs, and I often run into this problem. Most of the time, my brain comes up with the natural POV on its own, but there are times I'll have to reevaluate. I'm a little at odds with myself about it. Sometimes, I want to use the POV of the person with the greatest emotional investment in the scene because I want to show that from inside her head... other times, though, you can get more impact from showing someone's emotion through another character's eyes... so yeah, it's a process, I guess.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
A nice thing about having the POV characters in the same scene is that the one you choose can comment on the other. You can get some nice insights that way.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this thread, even though it's been around awhile.

Does anyone think it's advisable or would be interesting to have this dual POV if it involved two brothers and one was older and they were separated? That's what I'm currently working on, but it's been very difficult to figure out exactly how to tell the story and keep it MG. That's why I came up with the dual POV idea for it. The older brother is going to have such a different perspective of what's going on in the world from that of the younger.

I'm not sure I can pull it off, but if the consensus is that it's a wash, I won't bother.

Thanks for any input and opinions.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Is the older brother older than the MG age range? If he isn't I don't see it being a problem. However I think if they are both protagonists but one is older than the MG age range that could be an issue. You need to ask yourself why you want to tell this story this way, and why you want it to be MG as opposed to any other genre. Also you should ask yourself who your readers are, will they relate or even be interested in the POV of an older character? And I will say personally when I was a MG reader, I had little interest in older characters because I just couldn't relate. Even a teenager seemed uber old to me, almost adult (I remember as a pre-teen feeling uncomfortable reading SEVENTEEN magazine. Not because of the content, it was the same as so many other magazines of its ilk which I happily read, but because of its title. Seventeen just sounded SO old.

This isn't to say an older POV can't work, it's just going to be more of a challenge.

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Toothpaste. And I apologize. It isn't my intent to sabotage your thread, Shandylous; I'm just curious, too, because I'm looking at the same situation.

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Toothpaste. And I apologize. It isn't my intent to sabotage your thread, Shandylous; I'm just curious, too, because I'm looking at the same situation.

No sabotage at all, ha! And definitely no need to apologize. Once the thread is out there, it is open to everyone. :) I agree with toothpaste's suggestions for your situation.

About a quarter of the way into my first draft of this dual POV MG and loving it! Maybe because it is fun to try on different voices, and also, as someone mentioned, play with how the characters view themselves versus how they view one another. When I eventually go back and revise, it will probably have more challenges than a single POV. But right now, I'm loving it!