Abbreviating military rank titles: acceptable?

RSwordsman

Registered
Reaction score
I have an instance where the title "Commander" appears twice in fairly quick succession. In the US military at least, ranks have standard abbreviations for various situations where writing out the entire name would be too cumbersome.

Would abbreviating something like the above to "Cmdr." be appropriate to use in prose outside of dialogue? A nagging feeling tells me no, but I'd like to know for sure and quick research was inconclusive.

Last edited:

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't, personally. Sometimes you need to use the same word twice in a short time, and you wouldn't abbreviate any other.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If ranks before names are spoken in dialog, I would spell out Chief Jones, Lieutenant Smith, and Commander Johnson.

In narrative, I would say it's okay to write: CPO Jones told Lt. Smith that Cmdr. Johnson was on the bridge.

However, specifics are best to work with. May we look at the lines in question?

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I've been told that inside dialog, you should even spell out numbers. Basically, you write what they are saying.

My rule of thumb for numbers is that for all numbers below 13 I'll write the word (one, ten, five) and for all above the numerals.

I'd disagree the the same rules apply to numbers as ranks, though. Cmdr suggests a different attitude that Commander, personally; one more rushed.

RSwordsman

Registered
Reaction score
I meant for use outside dialogue in narrative, but I managed to reword it so it didn't repeat as such and the full spelling wasn't as cumbersome. Thank you very much for the replies so far :)

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'd find myself wondering if cmdr stands for commander or commodore?

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd find myself wondering if cmdr stands for commander or commodore?

In the U.S. Navy, the sometimes on-again-off-again and now honorary rank of commodore is "cdre," as in Cdre. Perry who was later promoted to Adm. Perry.

Cmdr. is only for commander.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
But it is a valid point by Rufus. If there is any possibility of reader confusion, it is better to spell it out and be clear. The point you just made would be unknown by most people.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
In the U.S. Navy, the sometimes on-again-off-again and now honorary rank of commodore is "cdre," as in Cdre. Perry who was later promoted to Adm. Perry.

Cmdr. is only for commander.
The differences make perfect sense and a lot of people seeing them in context would realize which one refers to which rank. I'd go with T Robinson's advice and spell them out in full though.

(Maybe it's just me but there's something about the title "commodore" that suggests really nice hats and harpsichords squeezed into cabins.)

Last edited:

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But it is a valid point by Rufus. If there is any possibility of reader confusion, it is better to spell it out and be clear. The point you just made would be unknown by most people.

The differences make perfect sense and a lot of people seeing them in context would realize which one refers to which rank. I'd go with T Robinson's advice and spell them out in full though.

(Maybe it's just me but there's something about the title "commodore" that suggests really nice hats and harpsichords squeezed into cabins.)

I absolutely agree, Commodore Robinson and Commodore Rufus. I was merely being my smartass self and answering Ruff's question, 'cause my father and older brother were career navy men.

Private Last Class Chase, US Army (Ret)

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
And just to be totally anal about this, the U.S.Navy uses all capitals for rank abbreviations. Thus:
ENS = Ensign
LTJG = Lieutenant, Junior Grade
LT = Lieutenant
LCDR = Lieutenant Commander
CDR = Commander
CAPT = Captain
RMDL = Rear Admiral, Lower Half (Commodore Equivalent. If needed, CDRE)
RADM = Rear Admiral
VADM = Vice Admiral
ADM = Admiral

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My rule of thumb for numbers is that for all numbers below 13 I'll write the word (one, ten, five) and for all above the numerals.

I'd disagree the the same rules apply to numbers as ranks, though. Cmdr suggests a different attitude that Commander, personally; one more rushed.

In dialogue, size doesn't matter. nyAone can say "five hundred", but no one ever has, or ever will, say "500".

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have an instance where the title "Commander" appears twice in fairly quick succession. In the US military at least, ranks have standard abbreviations for various situations where writing out the entire name would be too cumbersome.

Would abbreviating something like the above to "Cmdr." be appropriate to use in prose outside of dialogue? A nagging feeling tells me no, but I'd like to know for sure and quick research was inconclusive.

The question, I think, is why would you want to abbreviate such a word? What are you gaining by doing so? So what if the word appears twice? That was your choice.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And just to be totally anal about this, the U.S.Navy uses all capitals for rank abbreviations.

Thank Neptune, the navy only dictates to All Hands, Tailhook, and such swabbie publications. :D

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
My dad, a navy chief, claims other services stole this question and its series of responses:

Hey, Mac! Are you a turtle?

Alas sir, I am not. All that I have achieved on my own is the Order of the Dragon and becoming a Trusty Shellback.