Snuck vs Sneaked

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that snuck isn't an accepted word, as I've *always* used that instead of "sneaked." Seriously, who uses "sneaked??"

Example: "The kid sneaked into the darkened theater and took a seat on the front row." "The kid snuck into the darkened theater and took a seat on the front row."

Seriously, which of the two would you prefer to see in a work of fiction? To me, it's snuck all the way - always has and always will be. :D

(This is one reason I'm dreading the day I have to buy a new computer, as my 10,000 or so spell-check corrections would no longer work...man, that's going to be a cruel bummer to be dealing with that.)

Snuck is an accepted word.

sneak

verb (used without object), sneaked or snuck, sneak·ing. 1. to go in a stealthy or furtive manner; slink; skulk.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/snuck?s=t

If some damned spellchecker doesn't include it; that says more about the spellchecker, than it says about the word. Use it as a marker to determine whether a spellchecker is any good.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
The Old English for the past tense of "I sneak" is "Ic snāc".

That kinda settles it for me.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, just yesterday I was reading out a chapter I'd wrote the day before (y'know, to see if stuff is flowing...) and came across the word "snuck". Out loud I read it as "sneaked" and had to backtrack to see what was written...

Looking back, it seems like for some reason, I write mostly American English, but I speak mostly UK English... I think. Guess it's all thanks to the country I grew up in...

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
In one country.

In at least two countries.

informal
, chiefly North American
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/snuck

English definition of “snuck”

snuck

verb /snʌk/ mainly US
› past simple and past participle of sneak verb

(Definition of snuck verb from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/snuck

You can dig through for the rest of the citations.

Quotidianlight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mayagoode.com
To illustrate my great age let me add that "dork" was a word so vile that it was listed in the Bedrock High School handbook as a "Leave this classroom now!" word. It means penis in some obscure biological sense. Now, even penis is not a "Leave the classroom!" word. Times change. I can deal with dork and penis but I can't use "snuck" because sneaked is ingrained in my Literary DNA--s6

Too funny. My teen daughter learned the true meaning of dork in AP English... She loves the word now and will endlessly chuckle whenever I call myself a whale penis. Maybe it's on it's way back ;)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Snuck may have sneaked into acceptable US English, but it galls me. Who uses snuck? Mouthbreathers? People who say "Ain't got none" and "Could care less"?

If you're going to use snuck, know that it's akin to having ignoramus tattooed across your sweaty, overlarge forehead.