A situation as "Arised"

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I typed the sentence 'a situation has arised' and a red line appeared under 'arised'

Can anyone tell me what would be the right form of 'arise' in this sentence?

The tense is similar to...
The guests have arrived
The plane has landed
A situation as 'arise'?

Thanks in advance,

jaus

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
"has arisen" is the correct answer.
But just bear in mind that this is a passive tense.
"A situation arose" is the active expression.

There is no such thing as a "passive tense".

Tense refers to the time at which the action of a verb took or takes or will take place. It has nothing to do with whether the subject is the initiator or the recipient of the verb's action.

The dog has bitten the man is active voice. This is obvious when you think about it because the dog is the subject of the sentence. It is the dog that perpetrated the action.

It's a case of active voice in the present perfect tense, a tense expressing an action in the past which has ramifications in the present. In this example, the dog has bitten the man (who is bleeding all over the patio right now).

"Perfect" might seem like a weird name for a tense. It comes from perfectum which is a perfect past participle of the Latin verb perficio meaning I complete.

In other words, the dog bit the man, opened his stinking little mouth, thus completing the action of biting and then, did whatever. Maybe it ran off to chase a possum.

Passive voice in this tense is, that prick of a dog has been skittled by a ute. The dog is the subject of the sentence and it is also the recipient of the action. It didn't do the skittling, it copped the skittling.

Active voice is when the subject does the action. Passive voice is when the subject cops the action.

I hope that clarifies.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
"has arisen" is the correct answer.
But just bear in mind that this is a passive tense.
"A situation arose" is the active expression.

Actually, "a station has arisen" is present perfect tense, while "a situation arose" is simple past tense.

Which of these is preferable depends on the situation.

Simple past indicates something that happened in the past and ended in the past and which is over in the present.

Present perfect uses a past participle with "has" or "have" to indicate an action which began in the past but continues into the present or continues to have an effect in the present.

Passive voice can be used in different tenses, and it would be "A situation was [arisen] by [a different noun]", but I can't think of a way to use the verb "arisen" in this manner and have it make sense.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I suspect that it's actually not possible. To arise is an intransitive verb. Because an intransitive verb can't take an object, it can't have a passive form and make logical or grammatical sense.

:chair

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
I meant to use the word "voice" rather than "tense".
Ironically, I have an RSA CELTA, although you can tell how much use it has gotten recently.

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
It's not passive voice.

That's true. What is is actually called then?
If I say "the gun has been fired" that's passive.
So "a situation has arisen" is...? Active voice? "The man has died", "the sun has set", they seem similar (present perfects?).
Someone will straighten me out with an answer.

Last edited:

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
^ I see. That's clear.
But it "feels" passive. I don't know how else to describe it even though that's grammatically incorrect:

"Sir, a situation has arisen"
"Sir, we have a situation"

Last edited:

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
^ I see. That's clear.
But it "feels" passive. I don't know how else to describe it even though that's grammatically incorrect:

"Sir, a situation has arisen"
"Sir, we have a situation"

The former of those examples is perfect past, yes, but the latter is present; they're not totally comparable.
There is a big difference between: "A situation arose" and "A situation has arisen"; namely that the former feels more distant, like you might read in a history book, but I don't know how it's any more passive.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
That's true. What is is actually called then?
Active voice. Present Perfect Tense. Definitely, absolutely definitely active voice.

Arise is an intransitive verb. It describes an action that can be performed by a subject but .... it's not an action that can be done to an object.

Because it can't be done to an object, it also can't be received by a subject. Therefore it doesn't have a passive form.
If I say "the gun has been fired" that's passive.
Yep. But, we can also say, "the gun has fired" and that's active. The verb fire in that instance is being used intransitively.

So "a situation has arisen" is...? Active voice?
Absolutely. Stark raving active. As active as an erupting volcano.

The only way I can think of to have a passive voice form of arise is this abomination.

A situation has been ariserated.

"The man has died", "the sun has set", they seem similar (present perfects?).
Someone will straighten me out with an answer.
Yes. They are present perfects expressing an action in the past with consequences for the present.

When we say, the man died, we're expressing a simple fact that happened in the past. It might be the recent past, but it's over and done with.

When we say, the man has died, it implies the body is still warm.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
"A situation has been made to arise," is also active because the main verb here is made and to arise is an infinitive which here functions as the object of the active voice form of make in its past tense.

Now you've confused yourself. "A situation has been made to arise," is passive ("has made" --> "has been made").

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Now you've confused yourself. "A situation has been made to arise," is passive ("has made" --> "has been made").
Whoops! What the hell was I thinking? :e2paperba
Thanks for mentioning that. It might have created confusion.:e2flowers
Although, it's the verb "to make" that's in passive voice, not the infinitive "to arise".

Last edited:

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that it's actually not possible. To arise is an intransitive verb. Because an intransitive verb can't take an object, it can't have a passive form and make logical or grammatical sense.

:chair

And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

Maybe? Am I reaching?

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

Maybe? Am I reaching?
I think you're reaching. A clatter arose. That's active.