Blog passages and Copyright on book

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
If I blog and quote my own books extensively (say half a chapter), is that a copyright problem if the book is later to be published?

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a copyright problem, but it's potentially a problem for other reasons (for example, some publishers may look askance at being offered rights to a book which has had several "half-chapters" previously published online). But it can sometimes have some advantages, too, depending on many factors: it's rather a big and complicated issue (but not really a copyright one, per se).

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't a copyright problem, but it's potentially a problem for other reasons (for example, some publishers may look askance at being offered rights to a book which has had several "half-chapters" previously published online). But it can sometimes have some advantages, too, depending on many factors: it's rather a big and complicated issue (but not really a copyright one, per se).

I see. I noted in other threads some of the possible disadvantages (eg. they can't have first - refusal ? rights over something that has been out in public).

I'll keep looking around in the threads since it seems variations of these themes keep coming up.

Thanks for the answer!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Posting samples of your books is an accepted form of advertising of your books. Amazon puts up the first tenth of each book, B&N does something similar.

Neither minds that I do the same on my personal web site, because I also put links to their site so that those who like the sample can buy the full book from them. They lose nothing and gain sales.

Katherine_James

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.onlinewritingjobsguru.com
It would depend on whether or not the publisher was seeking 'First Right of Publication' for your book. If your work is published previously elsewhere, it could prove a problem for them.

However, if your book is accepted, you could find yourself being offered the recent newer split style (but still rare) publishing deals. This is where you - as the author - personally get to keep online publishing control (such as sales through kindle) and the publisher controls the publishing rights offline (via book stores).