It seems that YA dystopian novels are what's "in" right now

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I think, when they say they don't want dystopia, what they mean is they don't want another dystopia which is really just a romance with dystopian trappings.

They've got plenty of those already.

I agree.

I think generally good books are in. Also - the one thing that has never really taken off is unfinished books. So, writers should write and not worry so much about the Imponderables.
Says Little I.

Exactly.

Don't write to trends - the odds are that it'll be long gone before you finish the book and it goes to print.

Write what YOU would like to read. That's the only way you'll love the story.

Don't write to trends.

;)

Completely and totally agree. And yet so many of us, myself included, post about trends, what's in and out, what's been done to death. We are wasting valuable time thinking about what CAN get published instead of just writing a GOOD book. Write the book, market yourself and don't give up. That's all we can do.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
I could def see YA horror becoming the next trend. Have no numbers or sources to back that up. It's just my hunch. Something like Saw but with teens.

I write YA horror (and I love Saw) so I'd love to see this happen. :D Even though, like you, I have no idea what the odds of it would be.

I remember a couple of years ago when everyone was saying dystopian was too saturated and not really trendy anymore. But I've seen a few dystopian books come out in the past year or so (and I mean first in a series/debut novelists, not established authors or 3rd/4th books in a series that started when dystopian was trendy). So I guess a good enough story really will trump a dying trend. I hope it makes a comeback after awhile; I love dystopian, and I'd love to see what upcoming authors do with the genre to make it fresh.

Last edited: