Deciding what to write next

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all :)

I'm having trouble deciding what I want to write next. I have a couple of ideas that are fleshed out in my head and jumping up and down, telling me to pick them, but I just don't feel 100% ready to write any of them. I'm querying now, and I know I should be working on something else, but nothing feels right. One of the ideas is a quirky and fun MG time travel-y story. One is a dark, kind of scary YA magical realism. There's an NA idea brewing too, and a couple more YA contemps inside me as well. All have such different tones and I don't feel in the mood for any of them!

I think the root of my problem is that I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire right now, and when I'm so in love with a book like this I feel like nothing else can compare. And I'm not interested in trying to write something similar to it, so why bury myself in anything else?

Any advice? I know I could try writing the first chapter of each idea but I don't want to kill something by trying it out and tossing it away.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you read more than one book at a time (as I suspect many of us here do), you might read something like Writing Irresistible Kidlit by Mary Kole (it's covers both MG and YA) when you're not reading Ice and Fire. That might spark a creative idea or strengthen one you already have. If nothing else, you might learn a few pointers for when you do get going on your next project.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
You could try both. I find Timepunk adventure stories completely killer.

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I just finished Storm of Swords and I'm now kicking around WIP ideas for a Lady Stoneheart esque character.

You could try just pantsing and seeing where it gets you? Or synopsing? Or maybe even just a brainstorming exercise, like character sheets or other mind maps, to see if one idea rises above the rest? (Also, I'd love to hear more about those ideas. My curiosity is piqued already.)

Alternatively again: which do you think is the biggest risk? In that current scenario, I'd be tempted to take a risk and see where it led me.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
What about starting something completely new? :) Like, from scratch.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm so in love with a book, I just let myself swoon and ride it out. I may edit something but I don't push myself to write creatively. Obviously if the lovely book is setting off new ideas that excite me, then I'll at least take notes on those things and maybe write a scene or two, but I don't see a reason to push the writing. Just enjoy the power of that great writing. Unless that swoon lasts for too long. :)

You could also take notes on the lovely book - what about it is so glorious? Type out a scene you love and study it. Type as many as you want. Those kinds of exercises can teach you something, and then you can relax, knowing you're making progress toward your writing goals even if it isn't original work - yet.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I just finished Storm of Swords and I'm now kicking around WIP ideas for a <spoiler snipped> esque character.

You could try just pantsing and seeing where it gets you? Or synopsing? Or maybe even just a brainstorming exercise, like character sheets or other mind maps, to see if one idea rises above the rest? (Also, I'd love to hear more about those ideas. My curiosity is piqued already.)

Alternatively again: which do you think is the biggest risk? In that current scenario, I'd be tempted to take a risk and see where it led me.

I'm on page 840-ish of Storm of Swords! This book is amazing!

Even just writing out the OP here helped me. I started the MG time travel book. Now of course I'm having the omg-wtf-is-this-MG-thing feelings, but I'm loving the younger voice so far :)

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having this exact same problem. I sent my ms off with my agent a few weeks ago so as I patiently wait for her notes, I'm thinking about what else to do and so far I have so many ideas it's hard to pinpoint just one. I often get really excited about one project, brainstorm a whole bunch and just get sick of it and try for something else. I think I went through 3 or 4 story ideas before I settled on the one my agent's reading right now.

But I think this time I have a good plan. I have to get to dissertation writing soon anyway so there's no way I can do much by the way of creative writing right now anyway. But after my first chap is done, I can get back to the MG idea and brainstorming for the new YA that I'm excited about but not quite sure how to execute yet. That one will take a LOT of research and a lot more practice.

My advice is let yourself write what you're aching to write right now. Even if the shine kind of goes dull later on...that's kind of normal and inevitable regardless of the story you pick, so whatever excites you most at the moment, dive in.