"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It'd probably be a harder sell in lower YA, but it's all in how you do it, I'd guess.

I rarely read lower YA

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well it seems like in older YA you try your best to shove parents out of the picture, not have them as accomplices.

Victor Clairmont

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed. Thanks to an impossible to reschedule meeting on Wednesday this week, I was unable to bring my daughter to visit at my mom's house. I really wanted to because my grandmother was there from Arizona and that would have been four generations together. Plus, my grandma, even though she is over 90, is one of the coolest people alive!

I'm thinking I will go out to Arizona for a few weeks this summer. I want to record her life history, so to speak. It's kind of awesome. She met my grandfather while he was in reform school (she was kind of the badass back in her teenage days). She walked away from a family fortune to marry him. She was from one of those super upper crust families and he was from the total wrong side of the tracks. Man, I am SO disappointed this week.

Sounds like a great story on how your grandparents met! My Grandma just hit 90, so going to Florida to spend the weekend with her for a surprise birthday party.

Sorry for all those that have been sick or had surgery done! Hope you get better soon.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Well it seems like in older YA you try your best to shove parents out of the picture, not have them as accomplices.

What's wrong with parents being accomplices? Make them a crime family. They steal something from a drug kingpin. As a result the dad is murdered execution-style. Mom is kidnapped and will be sold to Boko Haram as sex slave. 14 yo daughter escapes. She teams up with and leads her 16 yo LGBT twin buddies and head to the kingpin's HQ. Using katana blades and makeshift crossbows and Molotov cocktail they start a killing spree killing 216 mobsters & corrupted cops/marines/navy seals and rescue the mom. No sex but gawd almightly bloody.

Man, I can picture Quentin Tarantino paying you a million for the option.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Is it possible to actually have the Teen as the bad guy in older YA? The way I've always heard it told, is the adults being the bad guy. One of the reasons I always had trouble categorizing myself as YA.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Teens can totally be the bad guy.

And adults can totally be accomplices as long as you can make sure that they don't drive or solve the plot (in either YA or MG).

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It still seems to me that a "billy I think this guy would be the best next target because he's planning a vacation and won't be found for a couple weeks" "ok thanks mom I'll finish that tonight by the way what's for dinner" kind of relationship works better with a younger protagonist rather than an older.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That feels like a challenge :D

Nah, I'm not even working much on TM today. I just watched 10 Things I Hate about You instead. It's research! Really. I had to see whether Heath Ledger was blond in this movie (he wasn't). That required watching the full thing *nods*

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
That feels like a challenge :D

Nah, I'm not even working much on TM today. I just watched 10 Things I Hate about You instead. It's research! Really. I had to see whether Heath Ledger was blond in this movie (he wasn't). That required watching the full thing *nods*

Uh huh. Were you whelmed watching that movie? :D

Is there a normal amount of time breaking between one novel to the next?

Do you mean between finishing one and starting another? Or are you dipping between two? Nothing's standard - take what time you need. :)

Is anybody entering The Writer's Voice this year? I got through the Rafflecoptor lottery last year, but didn't get selected for one of the teams (although I was an honourable mention or suchlike for one of the coaches). It was a lot of fun, regardless of that. My WIP won't be ready to enter, but I'm just debating whether to enter with the previous one again. The query is tighter now and the first 250 words are different (plus I've only queried one of the 14 agents listed and it looks like only 2 of the original 4 coaches are back again - unless Kimberly = Cupid from last year). Hmm... Thoughts?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible to actually have the Teen as the bad guy in older YA? The way I've always heard it told, is the adults being the bad guy. One of the reasons I always had trouble categorizing myself as YA.

Umm, in 4/5 of my novels (all geared toward older YA), there is a teen who is the villain. :)

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Went and bought my daughter's prom dress yesterday. It's beautiful but holy crap expensive! Even got her makeup, etc. She's a very non-girly girl and was claiming all the way up to about a month ago, she would never go to prom. However, her friends are all going and so she decided to go as well. Seeing her actually get excited trying on her dress and loving it made me so happy! Her senior year has gone so fast. I can't believe graduation is a month away. Holy cow.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'm having a hard time getting it into it. I thought at least there was a method for getting into the writing zone. This book on meditation has helped, but if I don't do that every day that sort of doubt about my work comes back. Maybe it will subside eventually.

ellio

a hardback life on an ebook budget
Registered
Reaction score
This is a cool thing I've just discovered helps me with edits, when I go back to a WIP to edit it I zoom in and change the font to a similar one that I use on my Kindle. I'm so used to seeing that font and layout as being another person's work that it helps me observe my own writing from more of a readers perspective.
You should really try it out if you're an avid ebook reader!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of this before. Someone suggested you change your whole mani into a different font for editing. Helps you catch things that you may otherwise miss as your eyes tend to glaze over the overly familiar font/text. When I used to YAWN, it would look different in the translation from my doc to the board and I'd always catch things I didn't notice.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Do you know which font is best for this? I'm going to be editing a YA Dystopia soonish after I have enough distance from the manuscript.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah, you should test out fonts that you like. The thing that makes the difference is seeing it in a different font than the one you wrote in. It could be as simple as Courier New to TNR.

If you wanted it to look like AW, it'd be Verdana. I'm not sure what the Kindle font is (just that I like it).

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard that serifs allow you to read faster, so possibly changing from a serif to a sans serif font will slow you down and make you more careful.

Does anybody think it's a bad idea to stop on one novel for a while and start another novel?

Last edited:

ellio

Registered
Reaction score
I use Cambria because that is the best I could find to immitate my Kindle for Mac on Scrivener and then I zoom in to about 150%. This AW thread says the Kindle font is Caecilia but I couldn't find any source to download that font from. I also know that some Kindles have the option to change fonts so it may not always be the same font.

ellio

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody think it's a bad idea to stop on one novel for a while and start another novel?

I do this constantly, I never have less than two WIPs at one time because the more time I spend on one the more I get lost in the writing and run away from plot and coherence. I need to switch every month or so just to keep one going forwards.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, just popping in quickly to wish everyone a happy easter (if you celebrate that kind of thing. If not, happy chocolate-egg day).

I might try the trick with changing the font. Most of my edits are big ones, which are easy to spot, but I do tend to miss out the smaller details. Will give it a go later on :)

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, just popping in quickly to wish everyone a happy easter (if you celebrate that kind of thing. If not, happy chocolate-egg day).

:D Thanks! :Sun:I celebrate both those things, so yay!! :hooray::tongue

In writing-related news, I just realized my YA novel has a just-turned-18-by-the-end-of-the-book main character and the other central characters are already 18 or 19-20. I tried imagining it if I made them just a little younger, but that wouldn't work. I need the MC to turn 18 when she does and the others being younger would be weird. So now I'm here, working on this, hoping for the best, because I don't see this as a NA novel in any -that-I-know-of- way, so... :foilhat::e2hammer:yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.