What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I'm reading HOW TO BE BAD by E. Lockhart, Lauren Myracle, and Sarah Mylnowski.

That is next on my list and I CAN'T WAIT to read it. I had it set aside at work yesterday, along with Piper Banks' GEEK ABROAD, but realized that without my debit card, I couldn't really buy them... LOL

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
That is next on my list and I CAN'T WAIT to read it. I had it set aside at work yesterday, along with Piper Banks' GEEK ABROAD, but realized that without my debit card, I couldn't really buy them... LOL

E. Lockhart is my favorite author besides J.K. Rowling!

And I read GEEK HIGH by Piper Banks. GEEK ABROAD is the sequel, right?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck.

A great look at what life was like during the Depression.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon (and was impressed) and I'm just about to start Beautiful Boy, which is not YA but is a companion memoir to Tweak, which was YA and was very good.

Aegwynn

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see.

I finished City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. Funny that a few of you weren't fond of City of Bones... I loved that one. I'm not so fond of CoA. I am interested to see Idris, though, so I'm looking forward to City of Glass.

I also read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, and it was very disappointing. The premise was interesting - a girl who committed suicide recorded tapes telling the thirteen reasons why she did it - but the story just didn't deliver. I got bored very quickly and I wasn't fond of Hannah's character.

I'm looking for some new stuff now. I might take a break from YA for awhile and read some regular fantasy/horror stuff. Stephen King's Dark Tower series sounds interesting...

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Anderson's Twisted. Flew through the first half in no time. I'm impressed with how well-paced the plot is.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see.

I finished City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. Funny that a few of you weren't fond of City of Bones... I loved that one. I'm not so fond of CoA. I am interested to see Idris, though, so I'm looking forward to City of Glass.

I also read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, and it was very disappointing. The premise was interesting - a girl who committed suicide recorded tapes telling the thirteen reasons why she did it - but the story just didn't deliver. I got bored very quickly and I wasn't fond of Hannah's character.

I'm looking for some new stuff now. I might take a break from YA for awhile and read some regular fantasy/horror stuff. Stephen King's Dark Tower series sounds interesting...

I agree about 13RW. I was quite underwhelmed.

Reading Anderson's Twisted. Flew through the first half in no time. I'm impressed with how well-paced the plot is.

Oh, MAN. That's a book I really hated.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Well, don't leave us in suspense -- why?

Haha, okay...couldn't stand any of the characters. Felt like the MC was a carbon copy of ever other angsty male out there, and this his struggles had been done a million times before and were not even somewhat interesting.

I can't remember a lot of the specifics...you couldn't pay me to pick that book up again. Okay, you could, but it would be a LOT of money.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, okay...couldn't stand any of the characters. Felt like the MC was a carbon copy of ever other angsty male out there, and this his struggles had been done a million times before and were not even somewhat interesting.

I can't remember a lot of the specifics...you couldn't pay me to pick that book up again. Okay, you could, but it would be a LOT of money.

I've read more and I agree. Tyler started out kind of interesting, but he's quickly become a stereotype mixture - part geek, part rebel, part outcast, part criminal, and part creep for the way he ogles over all the females. It just is starting to feel like Anderson wanted to cover all the bases. And the pacing that I enjoyed at the beginning is now dizzying -- she's flying through the story. It's hard to become invested in anyone.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's how I felt. At the beginning, the thing between him and the girl was kind of interesting---when he was taking care of her after she sprained her ankle? And that's basically all I can remember clearly.

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
I just finished Looking for Alaska and wasn't impressed. I couldn't stand Pudge or Alaska so I really didn't care what happened to them. But I just started reading Evil Genius, and I like it.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Looking for Alaska and wasn't impressed. I couldn't stand Pudge or Alaska so I really didn't care what happened to them. But I just started reading Evil Genius, and I like it.

I hated Looking for Alaska and couldn't get past page 20 of An Abundance of Katherines. Ugh.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. Looking for Alaska = One of my favorite books in the world. I've read it at least six or seven times.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
*sigh* I'm not reading any YA right now. It's hard enough finding adult books in English here in Peru without specifying things like YA, sff or *le gasp* steampunk :D

I have such a craving for Steampunk YA right now! And I'd kill for the second and third books of the Bartimaeus trilogy!

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score

I had the same problem with 13RW. That and I just had a hard time believing a girl would go through so much trouble to punish the people that "made" her commit suicide. I didn't really like Hannah, either, because c'mon, take a little responsibility for your actions! And then someone told me that in the first drafts of the book, the suicide was supposed to be a hoax-- which actually seems a lot more in-line with Hannah's character and more plausible. I still liked it, but I didn't LOVE it, and I wanted to.

I'm reading Audrey, Wait! right now, and I have to say, it's hilarious.

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
I hated Looking for Alaska and couldn't get past page 20 of An Abundance of Katherines. Ugh.

I couldn't get very far into An Abundance of Katherines either. I just don't like John Green's writing. It's kind of pompous and annoying. The only character I liked was the Colonel, but not enough to redeem the book. King Dork was a millions times better, IMO.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com

wow. i loved them both. this is so interesting... just proves you can't write for all readers. good thing there are so many different kinds of books out there.

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
wow. i loved them both. this is so interesting... just proves you can't write for all readers. good thing there are so many different kinds of books out there.

Agreed. Very interesting. I liked John Green a lot, thought he wrote pretty smart. I thought the voice in King Dork was AOK, too (but I haven't finished reading it for reasons that have nothing to do with the book's quality... had to leave town and leave it behind before I could speed read the rest.)

Not reading anything right now, which is scandalous.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've caved and finally started reading Twilight. It seems to be one of those books that really splits my friends - the ones who hate it, completely loathe it and the ones who love it, are practically evangelical about it. I'm trying to reserve judgment until I get to the end.

MM

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
I'm reading Julie Anne Peters' book Far From Xanadu. I like it. And I just bought Arthur Slade's book Tribes-- haven't read it yet but I thought his book Dust was brilliant.

Sadie7th

Registered
Reaction score
I am always about a year or more behind. The kids were reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I just finished it. Next I'll start the Pretties, and Uglies series. Are they any good? I'm excited only bc they aren't written in first person!!

Status
Not open for further replies.