Status
Not open for further replies.

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
Count me in. Sounds like fun, a chance to stretch our literary muscles.
I write dark fantasy, steampunk, sci-fi, horror, cyberpunk, etc.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
*raises hand*

I followed Hilary, so blame her for this collection of Genres.

I do Middle Grade, YA, Fantasy, Scifi, Mystery, Thriller, Mainstream, Historical with fantastical elements, and sometimes try romance (it generally ends badly).

And I also tend to blend the above. So yes. There you go :)

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Of course you can all join! Everyone is welcome. :) I don't have much time during the week to plot out the schedule/draw genres, so I'll be doing that early this weekend and will send out msges or reps as a reminder to check the details. :) It won't start until next week and I'll take the first slot to give you more time to prep. How's that sound?

Ralph Pines

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ralfast.wordpress.com
Okay, if this is still open, I'll like to give it a try.

Blog: http://ralfast.wordpress.com

Genre(s): Urban Fantasy, Science Fiction, Contemporary Fiction

After speaking on Twitter with our lovely AWers BigWords , AuburnAssassin and scarletpeaches... I had an idea.

Why don't we do a blogfest related to genres? A sort of musical chairs.

As in, why don't we all list our names, websites and preferred genre. Then through a fair and scientific method *cough* drawing names from a cup *cough* we'd each be assigned to a genre different than our own. Each of us would be responsible for writing a flash piece (under 1000 words) in our assigned genre during the month of January.

So what do you think? If you're interested, post your info and let's start the chain game... ;)

JHUK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingalchemy.wordpress.com
Still not sure about the "assigned genre" bit, however. Maybe a choice of 2-3 genres that are still different than our "usual" would produce better results. I just think there are some genres mentioned that it would be a physical impossibility for me to try to manage. Not about comfort zone, but about interest and personal principles.

Could we have some choice? What does everyone think?

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersinprogresswip.blogspot.com
I'm with JHUK in that I'm not sure about the "assigned genre," but I'm interested in participating in the blog chain.

My writing is mostly action oriented military science fiction, fantasy, science fantasy, alternate world, and urban science fiction/fantasy.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Yay for additional people. :) I'll give details btw Friday night and Saturday morn. (Depends on how fun my NYE might be. No worries, I'm boring.)

I can give each person two options to pick from, but if we just say write in whatever genre you want that's different from yours... kinda takes the game/challenge out of it. :D

Regypsy

Mad writer, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blank.com
Like it Regan.. so okay i'm in. I write sci-fi, fantasy and comedy, but i've been using the blog chains to hit any genre.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Btw, I drew names tonight. :) I'll post tomorrow with tons of detail, but for those of you wanting to know asap...

1) I clumped us into weeks. Each of us has been assigned to post by a certain Friday in January. (As in, people will check your blogs on Friday, so you probably want to post it Thursday night or set it to auto-post Friday early morning.) If you have an issue with your post date, message me and I'll move you. People are welcome to join up until the end of the month. I'll just tag you on to a later Friday.

2) I put all the genres in a cup. (Yes, I missed some, but I mainly pulled genre names from each of your own preferred genres. Forgive any I overlooked, please.) Everyone had the chance at all the genres. I kept all the names in a cup and then pulled until I had two options that did not represent current genres that you work in. It would be great if you could do the first genre option I pulled, but if there's no way you can do it... try option two. :)

3) More details and a list of everyone's links is coming soon!

Week One (January 7th)
Regan - Horror or Children's
Gary - Mystery or Romance
Claire - Humor or Young Adult
Amanda - Romance or Poetry

Week Two (January 14th)
Dolores - Urban Fantasy or Humor
Ben Bradley - Mystery or Historical
Agnyl78 - Erotica or Contemporary/Lit
Jamie - Sci-Fi or Young Adult
Cole - Erotica or Poetry
Scarlett -Children's or Historical (I swear, I drew Children's first try. lol :D)
Hillary - Children's or Contemporary/Lit

Week Three (January 21st)
IdiotsRUs - Humor or Mystery
Janine - Children's or Romance
Aheila - Romance or Young Adult
Jhuk - Fantasy or Horror
Mike - Historical or Sci-Fi
CScottMorris - Children's or Contemporary

Week Four (January 28th)
Sianshan - Poetry or Contemporary/Lit
Ralph Pines - Erotica or Historical
rmgil04 - Romance or Mysetry
Proach - Young Adult or Sci-Fi
Regypsy - Horror or Mystery
LadyCat - Children's or Urban Fantasy

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm absolutely delighted beyond words that romance is one of my choices. [/sarcasm]

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Way too late...

I know it's late, but if anyone drops out, I'd love to hop in.

I mostly write spec fic (fantasy and sci fi) so I'm expecting to get romance if I get in the line-up.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I wish I'd been in time to participate this month...looks like it'll be a blast.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Regan,
I'm going to have to ask to be moved to a later week, please. Sorry! I just won't be able to do this right by the end of this week.

Thanks!

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
I know it's late, but if anyone drops out, I'd love to hop in.

I mostly write spec fic (fantasy and sci fi) so I'm expecting to get romance if I get in the line-up.

Man, I wish I'd been in time to participate this month...looks like it'll be a blast.

GradyHendrix: Fate assigned you Mystery or Horror. ;) Would you be able to do it this Friday or do you need more time?

Orion_mk3: Tell me your usual genre and I'll add you. :) Would you be able to do it this Friday or do you need more time?

Regan,
I'm going to have to ask to be moved to a later week, please. Sorry! I just won't be able to do this right by the end of this week.

Thanks!

No problem! I'll add you to the next week. (updating previous post to reflect it)

I'll also post a list soon with everyone's links beside it and how to format your blog post.

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
Children's huh. Interesting. At least it wasn't romance, I doubt I could do that genre justice. YA woulda been easier. Oh well, the point is to stretch our literary muscles, right?

Angyl78

Registered
Reaction score
aaaah!
The writing gods must be laughing at me.
I'll give her a whirl!

lol

JHUK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingalchemy.wordpress.com
I drew fantasy and horror, neither of which I know anything about. I suppose that's the point of this challenge, however. Hmmm.... would 'fantasy' be like 'magical realism' (as in South American writers)? I'd like to give that a go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.